Author Topic: Favourite fighter?  (Read 18483 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Athena is a bomber.

The Athena is the game's heaviest interceptor.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
I don't actually understand, why do people like Athena so much? I could not get used to it, I preferred Valkyrie and Herc in the fighter role, and Medusa and Zeus in the bomber, but Athena was ,,just another ship" for me, if I did use it, it was only for disarming and disabling cruisers.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline FIZ

De'm gunpoints.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It was a genuine pleasure to fly in freespace the great war.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I don't actually understand, why do people like Athena so much? I could not get used to it, I preferred Valkyrie and Herc in the fighter role, and Medusa and Zeus in the bomber, but Athena was ,,just another ship" for me, if I did use it, it was only for disarming and disabling cruisers.

Apollo's speed, tiny front/side profile, superior maneuverability to the Hercules, better or equal hull to all GTA fighters, superior shields to the Apollo or Valk, the tightest gun setup in FS making bomb-interception a snap, good time on burner, the deepest secondary bays on a fighter-like chassis you can get.

A Feddie Story

Offline Lorric

There's some healthy respect for the Athena in the veteran comments here:

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GTB_Athena

And it's mostly about using the Athena for things other than bombing.

I imagine part of the problem is you don't see much of the Athena in Freespace 1. I got a new respect for the Athena from working on Frontlines, it wouldn't surprise me if I logged more flight time in the Athena there than everything else I've ever done combined. Also, in FS1, the Athena is flown in the earlier, easier missions so you don't get really tested in it. And I don't think I've ever flown against it before either. And even if I have, I imagine it would just be a bomber and not engaging me directly in combat. So while my respect for the Athena rose considerably I guess I still don't fully appreciate just how good it actually is not being used as a bomber. This'll be something for me to keep in mind later on.

I'm interested now who, if anyone, would have chosen the Athena as their favourite fighter if it had been up for selection?

Offline CT27

For me, the Athena isn't bad, but I'm not in love with it.

Why is it classified as a bomber?  It can't even carry Tsunamis.  Just my opinion, but it kind of seems like a missile boat fighter (similar to the Ares).

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Presumably there were pre-Tsunami weapons it could carry. It's built more to the role of defanging capital ships that most people would grab a Perseus for in FS2; get in, launch subsystem-killing weaponry or use guns, get out.

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
FS1 saw a massive upscaling in bomb technology and unfortunately in these cases existing designs get left behind, nut in this case redesignating or retiring the Athena hadnt happened yet

it could be that the Athena was designed to carry large rockets or very heavy guided missiles with "conventional" warheads for harassing cruisers but was not easy to retrofit to carry the much bigger tsunami
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art