Author Topic: Myrmidon and the Helios  (Read 5441 times)

Re: Myrmidon and the Helios
I tried putting various fighter weapons on cap ships a while back. I started with the Maxim. I abandoned it pretty quickly, because the rounds are almost invisible on such a large scale. Now I wouldn't imagine that would affect an in-universe faction's decision not to use them, but still it's worth noting.

I didn't notice them being especially effective, although I was mostly using fighters against the modified ship, so. Prom S turrets were pretty effective. Morning Stars weren't as interesting as I'd hoped.

Offline qwadtep

In keeping with the lighter tone, I like the idea of the Myrmidon being originally a bomber design that was pushed into another capacity, or possibly even that the Myrmidon was always a fighter, but some over-zealous engineer or bureaucrat in the company said "Hey, the GTA will pay more for this if they know it'll haul bombs too!"
It does give the Myrmidon some much-needed charm.

Offline Valrog

It's because Maxims are hella degenerate and make things boring. We're still looking at ways to soft nerf mass Maxim fire - retcon in ammo, add a subtractive threshold to warship armor, add damage falloff with range...

I'd love that nerf. I think Maxims are ridiculous as they are now. Seeing a small fighter (not a bomber) quickly destroying a huge capital ship from 3.5 kilometers away, with a gun rather than a missile, and the huge capital ship being able to fire only 1.5 kilometers away breaks immersion.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It's a hack not because the banks are too small, but because Volition made a mistake and put Helios in the Allowed PBanks list.  In non-scramble missions using the retail tables, it's not possible to equip Helios bombs.
You are mistaken. I literally tested it before I posted.

The widespread misconception that scramble missions behaved any differently with regards to loadout was just that: a misconception.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You are mistaken. I literally tested it before I posted.

The widespread misconception that scramble missions behaved any differently with regards to loadout was just that: a misconception.

:wtf: You're right.  I could have sworn there was indeed a difference.

I tested it just now as well, using a retail build.  Not only could the Bakha equip the Helios in non-scramble missions, but in scramble missions with ships.tbl modified to remove the Helios from the allowed banks, the Bakha started the mission without it.

Offline CT27

Do you think the engineer who made this modification got a pay raise?

Offline Snarks

Na. He never thought to announce it so no one gave him credit. Ironically, he died when his transport ship was hit by a couple of Helios bombs launched by a wing of Myrmidon fighters.

Offline Vrets

Na. He never thought to announce it so no one gave him credit. Ironically, he died when his transport ship was hit by a couple of Helios bombs launched by a wing of Myrmidon fighters.

This is a poignant cautionary tale. The sad life of the humble engineer.

Offline CT27

Hopefully, his next project would have been to work with the Vasudans to give the Taurent Maxim compatibility.  I'd probably take it over the Herc 2 then.

Why wouldn't you already take the Tauret over the Herc II? Ship with four-gun bank > ship with two-two banks.

Well the Tauret's energy reserve is kinda crap, so it would have more trouble with sustaining maxim fire, and it's not as resilient as the Herc 2.

Offline CT27

Anyways, it's unfortunate he died as Snarks said.

If he would have survived, just imagine how much good he could have done for the TEI right?

Offline FIZ

Herc II can mount Maxim.  Tauret cannot.  That makes me sad  :(

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
If it could the Tauret might be able to get five shots off with the Maxim. I could never use anything other that the Mekhu on that POS.

Offline FIZ

Tauret's weak regen is kinda counter-intuitive when I believe more than once it's stated that Vasudan reactors are superior to Terran.  Only canon I can find in that is the Deimos description, perhaps that's more so regarding to capship reactors.  The great recharge on the smaller Serapis might be used as further evidence.  I suppose that a lesser reactor was chosen perhaps to size limitation with the extra banks and armor on a Tauret over a Serapis. 

Maybe our crazed engineer can replace that weezy Allison engine for a nice Rolls-Royce Merlin :D