Author Topic: My Freespace Related Updates (and Grad School Grant Stuff)  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
My Freespace Related Updates (and Grad School Grant Stuff)
So as some of you I'm sure are agonizingly aware, I've basically put the YouTube channel on hiatus because of grad school :(

Fear not, I'll (hopefully) still be doing Freespace related things, particularly a year from now. What will hopefully happen next year is the acceptance of an NEH grant I'm working on. The basic idea of the grant is to work on tools and techniques to help archive modding community work and culture. Ideally I'll be able to work with a bunch of you fine folks here to record the history here, including mod dev diaries and, this is ambitious, a sort of interactive timeline of major releases, both campaigns and FSO versions. I have to give credit to Battuta's campaign suggestion post for putting this in my mind many years ago.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in working on, please post here or PM me. I'm still early in the process so a lot of details haven't been fleshed out. Additionally I won't know for quite a while whether the proposal has been accepted but any updates I do get I'll be sure to post here.

One last thing I'm trying to be very explicit about in this proposal is that anything generated here, including documentation, interviews, writing, etc. can (and should) be stored here in addition to an external archive.

While I'd been working on this idea long before the server move (and subsequent fallout) I figured the timing was right to broach this subject of writing down and archiving things in just in case. There's so much wonderful stuff here that should be preserved!

(Also by tomorrow I hope to have a more immediate and fun announcement to post about something totally unrelated).
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: My Freespace Related Updates (and Grad School Grant Stuff)
That sounds absolutely amazing. Hope it goes through! :yes:

You can do it, Firesteel! HLP has been here for a long time, I'm sure we can wait another year for your continued commentary! :D Good luck on the grant!!!
[V] for FS3!

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Thanks! I'm very hopeful about the funding since what I'm proposing has a vast array of applications outside of trying to preserve what HLP has accomplished and making access to mods a little more sturdy. I might have time during the winter to get something up on account of the longer than average break.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED