Author Topic: Need some help please  (Read 4123 times)

Need some help please
Hello everone
i registred recently in your forum.
well ... i need your help to get the Freespace 2 Open
i have the original version of FS2, and now i want to play with the the awesome graphics of FS2 Open and also made great missions with it (FRED2)

so did someone can give me please a direct link for it ( if it possible the last verison)

thank you in advance for your help

:v:

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Re: Need some help please
Yep you have it easy these days with the installer. Takes a lot of the work out of getting FS2 Open up and running. Use the wxLauncher to start any MOD.

i installed the FS2 Open
thanks very much
:)
now i need a link to download some mods (ships ..ect)
please

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The installer will install some mods as well.  Try rerunning it and have a look at the Custom or Complete options.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

i install the mods
but i still have the original ships of the game
the only new one is => GTD orion (Bastion) [in FRED2]

how can i get the new ships please ?

and an other thing ...

i have the original ships textures  => 

but not this one =>

what i have to do ?

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
You need to start the game through a launcher.  The launcher will allow you to pick a mod.  The quality of the models will vary by mod, but if you want to play the original FS2 with the latest models, you want the MediaVPS2014 mod selected in your launcher.

Edit: Any launcher you use will have a tab labeled "mod" or "mods" that you have to click on.  You can also edit other options in the launcher.

when i creat the briefing of a mission the icons look very far from each other in the game
but in the editor they are close from each others
how can i correct this problem ?

anyone ? pls    :(

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
There were some code changes regarding the briefing window FOV recently.  Are you using 3.7.2RC4? If you aren't, try it.  If you are, try a recent nightly. If you're still having problems, could you post screenshots of the icon placement in-game and in the editor?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Yarn

It's probably caused by another FOV-related bug that I reported back in August, which can be found here: http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=3096
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

well, i'm using Fs 2_Open_3_7_2_RC4.exe this time

see that =>

Breifing (Editor)

Briefing (In Game)

as we can see on that images there are a big difrence between the editor and the game
did it's possible to fix this bug ?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
3.7.2 RC4 is based on SVN revision 10997. This bug was fixed in SVN revision 11001. Try a recent nightly build.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

did the the version 3.7.2 RC4 DEBUG can correct this problem ?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
...No, because it's based on the exact same SVN revision (10997), and you need a version more recent than r11001.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

I wilould like to have voices for my briefings and In Game Messages.
but i don't know where i can find how to do it :(
anyone can help me pls ?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You need to either get people to record voices (which is time consuming) or you can enable TTS (text to speech).  IIRC this is only available on official releases, not nightly builds and its Windows only. If it is available you should have a checkbox in the launcher to enable it.
----
----

did it's possible to creat my own "command brief animations" ?
if yes, so what is the program i need ?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Have a read of this post.  It's a guide on building ANI files, which I believe is what you need to create for command briefings.
----
----