Author Topic: Shootings in Canada's Parliament / capital  (Read 7061 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Shootings in Canada's Parliament / capital
I'm on vacation in Hawaii at the moment - the hurricane missed, by the way - but taking a brief break to post about the recent murder of two Canadian forces members in Ontario and Quebec by people espousing ISIS-like radicalized ideology.  Today, a lone gunman killed a Forces member at the National War Memorial, then headed for Parliament where he was ultimately shot and killed inside.

Americans, you might find the way our media covers this interesting as the sensationalizing so prevalent on American networks is entirely absent.

check out the front pages of www.globeandmail.com and www.nationalpost.com
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:48:32 pm by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Re: Shootings in Canada's Parliament / capital
Same day as this happened, apparently some other nutjob jumped the White House fence and was apprehended by secret service K9s. Also, a Palestinian rammed his car into a crowd of people at a light rail stop in Jerusalem, killing an infant.

Happy Oct. 22nd, world. :wtf:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Them again. Really, if they're this eager to make martyrs out of themselves, I'd say we let them and just exterminate the bastards right now. They've gained far more ground than they should ever be allowed to. Also, captured ISIS members should be executed by women. Apparently, they believe this denies them going to heaven, so involving women in combat against them should provide a psychological edge. If they're allowed to fester, I have a feeling that this would explode into something far, far more damaging than just going there and killing everyone affiliated with IS. This might sound immoral, but necessary, I don't see any other way to deal with them other than complete destruction.

Offline Aesaar

The atmosphere in downdown Ottawa was definitely not something I'm used to seeing.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
From what I understand, if a Muslim even touches a pig, he's denied entry into paradise. I've heard told someone combating Islamic terrorism (I don't remember where exactly, Malaysia perhaps? I think it was some far eastern country… ) wrapped bodies of dead terrorists in pigskin. It stopped the wave of Islamic terror very, very quickly.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
From what I understand, if a Muslim even touches a pig, he's denied entry into paradise. I've heard told someone combating Islamic terrorism (I don't remember where exactly, Malaysia perhaps? I think it was some far eastern country… ) wrapped bodies of dead terrorists in pigskin. It stopped the wave of Islamic terror very, very quickly.
That's something to try, too. The Kurds fighting them found out about the woman thing (as their women are also taking part in combat). And you're saying it works... It makes sense, actually. Those terrorists are primitive people. Crushing IS with missiles and bombs would require an extraordinary expenditure of resources, but were we to attack their souls, I bet they'd crumble. When executing captured terrorists, make sure the executioner is female. Bury them in pig skins (I wish Osama Bin Laden got that treatment. Would've done much more damage than a simple death...) and drench them in pig blood. Use female troops wherever possible. Literally send their lot to hell, deny them heaven they're all being promised, and they'll lose their footing. Most religions have a lot of silly things that could land you in hell, especially Bible-based ones. Using their own religion against them would be a novel strategy, perhaps just the thing to crush them completely. When their spirits give way, I'd expect their bodies to soon follow.

i'm sure acting like the perfect image of anti-islamic crusaders will do much to erode support for islamist terrorism
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Source?

(I wish Osama Bin Laden got that treatment. Would've done much more damage than a simple death...)
More than a few Muslims would have applauded that punishment for the son of a *****. Reminds me of the christian practice not to bury suicides in consecrated ground.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline CKid

Pittsburgh played Oh Canada before their game with Philadelphia in support of Ottawa and Canada. Very classy.

Now as for what has happened in the nation's capital. As a Canadian, I'm deeply sadden and in disbelief. I have been glued to the TV and main news sites since I first heard about it. Personally I'm still a little emotional over the whole thing, however seeing how the nation has come together during this tragic event, I know Canada will come out stronger.

That hit me in the heart.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:05:06 pm by CKid »
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
i'm sure acting like the perfect image of anti-islamic crusaders will do much to erode support for islamist terrorism
You're misunderstanding. This is the exact opposite of anti-Islamism. We shouldn't be acting like we were fighting Islam. Quite the contrary, we could put on a show of actually believing this stuff, that'd only help. We'd be exploiting what Islam says to deliberately damn their souls to hell. We'd "agree" with their religion, and then use ways derived from their own book to utterly destroy them, body and spirit. Indeed, precisely because this would comply with what Koran says about damantion, they wouldn't be able to resist. Indeed, to call BS on those methods would require rejecting Islam, making them literally impossible for any terrorist to resist. They either acknowledge their religion is wrong (thus undermining the very point of their existence), or accept that if they die, they're going to hell (thus denying them martyrdom... and by this, undermining the very point of their existence :) ). If anything, we should support Islam itself, further making it clear that we're not fighting against Islam, but against IS.

The only problem with this method is that it's likely too unorthodox for any government to implement. Unless they learn from Kurdish women from Kobane, who seem to be doing just what I'm proposing, on a smaller scale and in a less extreme manner.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I'm torn on that one.  On one hand, if it ends this whole sordid affair, there's some merit to it.  On the other, such actions would be nothing short of heinous, regardless of whether or not you believe in it.  Deliberately humiliating, executing prisoners, and desecrating their corpses is the kind of thing we generally call "War crimes".

The problem with this method is that it plays straight into the narrative that the terrorists rely on. I could try to make all sorts of explanations but really, how is it not blindingly obvious that desecrating the remains of enemy soldiers already fighting a religious war is just going to give them a steady stream of martyrs?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I'm torn on that one.  On one hand, if it ends this whole sordid affair, there's some merit to it.  On the other, such actions would be nothing short of heinous, regardless of whether or not you believe in it.  Deliberately humiliating, executing prisoners, and desecrating their corpses is the kind of thing we generally call "War crimes".

Quote from: Phantom Hoover
The problem with this method is that it plays straight into the narrative that the terrorists rely on. I could try to make all sorts of explanations but really, how is it not blindingly obvious that desecrating the remains of enemy soldiers already fighting a religious war is just going to give them a steady stream of martyrs?

I'm not on board with those tactics either. Yes, they might scare the enemy, but so do a lot of things that aren't ethical. Even the worst criminal has rights, and recognizing those rights is what makes us better than ISIS. We can't throw away the moral high ground to get the tactical high ground.

I don't even think it would be effective in the long run. Like PH said, all it does is prove to Muslims that we really are the demons ISIS calls us.

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm not on board with those tactics either. Yes, they might scare the enemy, but so do a lot of things that aren't ethical. Even the worst criminal has rights, and recognizing those rights is what makes us better than ISIS. We can't throw away the moral high ground to get the tactical high ground.
Why can't we? Didn't those attempts at "moral high ground" only got our people killed for no good reason? Besides, when you get down to it, we lost any moral high ground we could've had back when we started meddling with their affairs. Civilians, innocent people are getting killed. I wouldn't want to die for my government being ethical. Heinous? Yes. Necessary? Probably. And it's not like ISIS are any kind of lawful combatant, so they can't go complaining to the UN. They've not protected by the conventions and guilty of crimes just as bad. As far as I'm concerned, they'd have brought it on themselves.

Also, I'm talking strategic high ground. This would be a show of strength. In Muslim culture, it's viewed differently than in ours. Notice how democracies in there fail, where military regimes prevail for a long, long time. Even the Arab Spring revolutions had military support, all successful ones were backed by significant strength. Even their religion is based around the concept of submission. What I propose falls in with how they seem to think. It also seems to have worked before. We need to play by their laws, beat them at their own game. We need to subvert the Islamic State, take it by the throat and crush it under our boot. Attacking their minds and souls would go a long way towards that.

Well, that, or just exterminate the movement to a man. This is the costlier option, slightly less heinous (arguable, more people will die, and some of them will be innocent), and probably much less effective. It would definitely result in more death on both sides. All in all, I prefer the first option. It might be an ugly thing to do, but IMO, superior to mass witch hunts and executions. I see no other ways of dealing with them. IS needs to cease existing. Otherwise, we're looking into more innocent deaths. They're not going to stop until someone goes and stops them. The later they're stopped, the higher the price will be, not that it's not bloody high enough already.

Dragon, if I wanted insights into Muslim culture and psychology the first thing I'd do is ask anyone in the world but you about it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The ends do most emphatically not justify the means, especially if said means are such that they might (and I stress, MIGHT) work in the short term, but will just fuel further resentment 5 or 10 years down the line.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Dragon, if I wanted insights into Muslim culture and psychology the first thing I'd do is ask anyone in the world but you about it.

Don't argue the person. Last warning.

That said, next person to talk about Muslim culture as if that's a homogeneous thing that can then be used to make sweeping generalisations about how they'd react to an unresearched issue is going to also be in trouble.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
When executing captured terrorists, make sure the executioner is female.... Use female troops wherever possible.

This is nonsense. http://www.vox.com/cards/isis-myths-iraq/isis-female-soldiers