Author Topic: Sadistic video choice - Radeon and Xubuntu 16.04.2 64-bit  (Read 1055 times)

Sadistic video choice - Radeon and Xubuntu 16.04.2 64-bit
I wanted to get back into playing Freespace 2 OSP again. At first I compiled 3.7.4 and YAL and set things up the way I wanted them. Everything was fine until I got into the cockpit, where I noticed the framerate was slower than it's supposed to be. I tried using -no_glsl, and the framerate rose to normal...but the game "compensated" by making the cutscenes start blinking in a way that might cause seizures to some...while the cutscenes render normally without -no_glsl. I looked at the forums and saw this message

Yeah, the real problem here is definitely trying to use mesa drivers with FSO 3.7.4 without -no_glsl. If you want shaders and decent performance, use a recent nightly build.

So I decided to compile the latest nightly (as opposed to the latest trunk period). The framerate issue was exactly the same, and to make matters worse -no_glsl didn't exist anymore!

Less important than the cutscenes and framerate, but one more bug on my system in all three of these configurations is the engine lights not showing on tracked models (the actual ship's engine lights appear though)

I am running Xubuntu 16.04.2 64-bit using the free Radeon drivers. Exact details of my graphics card follow:

Code: [Select]
product: AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
          vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
          physical id: 1
          bus info: cpu@0
          size: 800MHz
          capacity: 1400MHz
          width: 64 bits
          capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp x86-64 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid aperfmperf pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt cpb hw_pstate vmmcall arat npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save pausefilter cpufreq

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD SUMO (DRM 2.43.0 / 4.4.0-66-generic, LLVM 3.8.0)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 12.0.6
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

edit: Before you asked, I just tried the latest trunk build. Same result as nightly build.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 08:14:05 pm by Danfun64 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Sadistic video choice - Radeon and Xubuntu 16.04.2 64-bit
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Sorry about that. I compiled the debug build:

fs2_open.log : https://paste.debian.net/924339/

Also, here is an excerpt from the terminal log. The part that is listed as "....." is mostly a repeat of the two OpenGL Debug errors:

(start)
ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
OpenGL Debug: Source:OpenGL Type:Error ID:1 Severity:High Message:GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glFramebufferTexture2D(window-system framebuffer)
OpenGL Debug: Source:OpenGL Type:Error ID:1 Severity:High Message:GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glDrawBuffer(invalid buffer GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0)
OpenGL Debug: Source:OpenGL Type:Error ID:1 Severity:High Message:GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glFramebufferTexture2D(window-system framebuffer)
OpenGL Debug: Source:OpenGL Type:Error ID:1 Severity:High Message:GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glDrawBuffer(invalid buffer GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0)
OpenGL Debug: Source:OpenGL Type:Error ID:1 Severity:High Message:GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glFramebufferTexture2D(window-system fAL lib: (WW) FreeDevice: (0x3579710) Deleting 5 Buffer(s)
ramebuffer)
(end)

Offline m!m

That certainly explains why your performance is so bad.

Do you know how to use gdb? If yes, set a breakpoint in gropengl.cpp:1330 and post the backtrace here.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the issue and submitted a fix for it: https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/pull/1322
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 01:48:43 pm by m!m »