Author Topic: Sophrosyne: Teasers and Phoenix  (Read 13306 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth

Here are some snippets from the Sophrosyne Project, my own vision of the Post-Capellaverse. I've been designing multiple campaigns that will take place in this universe, but I've got a large backlog of FS and pony work to finish before I can put serious effort into these new, original campaigns. As I'm impatient, and want to get some feedback on my overall vision, I'll be posting various written pieces and screenshots from this universe. Read, enjoy, ask questions, critically dissect.

FYI, I'm aware that some people don't think that Command was incompetent during FS2, but it's the view I hold and will promote here, and I'd rather avoid a flamewar over that question.

The GTVA Since Capella

After the Second Shivan Incursion ended with the destruction of the Capella system, the battered-but-alive GTVA set about rebuilding and re-consolidating. With the Allied fleet in tatters and panic-stricken refugees bearing horrific tales streaming into Allied space, confidence in the government was at an all-time low. If it had not been for the looming Shivan threat, the General Assembly government would have likely lost control over some systems, or even collapsed altogether, like the GTA after the Great War. As it stood, though the GTVA had proved incapable of completely safeguarding its own people, most Terrans and Vasudans agreed that their races could not survive without the Alliance. Some Vasudans, though, saw a vindication of the age-old prophecy of the Destroyers in the fires of Capella, and many Terran and Vasudan analysts fear a renewed wave of Hammer of Light fanaticism.

In the meantime, the Terran and Vasudan races dragged themselves back to their feet. The Capellan refugees were dispersed throughout the Terran systems, to avoid the logistical and political problems caused by a massive refugee influx to any one planet or system. The Terran economy adapted to the loss of Capella, once known as the 'breadbasket of humanity'. Eventually, a combination of free-market initiative and targeted aid to critical sectors would restore some prosperity to the Terran economy. In late 2367, the General Assembly passed an Emergency Navy Law, a rushed naval construction program designed to return the crippled Terran and Vasudan fleets to 2/3 of pre-Incursion numbers over the next eight years. Already looking further ahead, the Security Council gathered the finest scientific, engineering, and military minds under the aegis of the Integrated Defense Grand Strategy, to devise a multi-faceted long-term defense plan to preserve the GTVA against future incursions. With the data from the Ancients' Knossos, and seven years of study and research, Admiral Solomon Petrarch's Sol Gate project to reconnect Sol and the GTVA systems started construction in 2374.

But tensions stirred under the surface in both the Terran and Vasudan populations. Polaris, Regulus, and Sirius, the former NTF systems, had been re-integrated into the GTVA only under the barrel of a gun. Though the NTF had been militarily defeated and was unlikely to arise again, pro-NTF sentiment was still widespread. Protests, violence, and cyber-terrorism plagued the GTVA military governments. Long-term soft-power re-education efforts had disappointing results. Terran jealousy and resentment towards Vasudans, which had originally caused the Rebellion, clearly persisted. The damage caused by the NTF Rebellion, which had largely been fought in Terran systems, and the loss of heavily-populated Capella to the Shivans, only served to deepen both the Terrans' longstanding economic slump and their anti-Vasudan resentment. By 2375, the General Assembly threw up its hands and dismissed the NTF systems' military government. Anti-Vasudan agitators immediately reoccupied their systems' re-instituted elected governments. Those three systems' representatives would remain a disruptive influence in the General Assembly for many years to come.

Most Vasudans were nothing if not extremely patient with their often-ungrateful Terran allies. The relatively-untouched Imperium, under the continued leadership of the dignified statesman Khonsu II, gave much-needed economic aid to Terran systems after the Capella disaster. This Vasudan aid stung many Terrans' pride, but the pro-Terran Khonsu knew that both species had to set their arrogance and feuds aside to keep the Alliance intact. Khonsu, who had ruled for nearly four decades, remained a beacon of hope for a brighter future for both Terran and Vasudan peoples. However, the Vasudans' clear position of economic superiority caused the Terran half of the GTVA to slide into the status of de facto junior partner in the Alliance. This only further rankled both Terran and Vasudan pride, and prevented the wounds of the NTF Rebellion from healing, as Khonsu would had wished.

And many Vasudans had begun to see Khonsu's vision of a prosperous and secure future as a delusional dream, exposed as a comforting lie by the Destroyers' terrifying might. Ever since Capella, mad prophets and fanatics have been spreading the Hammer of Light ideology to an all-too-receptive Vasudan populace, including a disturbingly large number of military personnel. For the first decade after Capella, despite some sporadic HoL-affiliated terrorist attacks, the Alliance has appeared to hold firm. Despite GTVI assistance in rooting out HoL cells and infiltrators, an unknown number of infiltrators remain at large throughout the Vasudan military and government.

The Integrated Defense Grand Strategy

The catastrophic defeat at Capella made it obvious that the GTVA needed to drastically re-consider its long-term grand defense strategy. The Reconstruction-era plan to meet and defeat the next Shivan incursion in open fleet battle had failed. Command's strategic missteps had cost hundreds of millions of lives, most of the GTVA fleet, the symbolic and expensive GTVA Colossus, and nearly the entire Terran and Vasudan races. A radical new defense strategy was needed, one which spared no expense to safeguard the Terran and Vasudan species.

The Integrated Defense Grand Strategy is the Security Council's long-range, post-Capella plan for a comprehensive defense of GTVA territories. Formally implemented in 2369, it aims to use the GTVA's available resources to pursue a number of integrated defense strategies. The IDGS is divided into six Initiatives, each covering a specific aspect of the GTVA's long-term self-preservation strategy.

Initiative I is the defense of GTVA political integrity against domestic threats, through calculated application of hard and soft power. The massive economic and political destabilization caused by the Second Incursion rocked the GTVA to its core, leading to widespread piracy, political terrorism, and even threats of succession. To preserve the GTVA from collapse, the Security Council embarked on a two-pronged initiative. First, the battered post-Capella fleet suppressed piracy and terrorism as best it could. Massive military patrols and confiscations of civilian armaments in the frontier and former NTF systems, while unpopular, succeeded in preserving a modicum of central authority. These efforts were supplemented by a number of symbolic initiatives to restore public confidence in the central government, including the Sol Gate project, and the massive 'In Capella's Memory' media campaign. Though the inital post-Capella turmoil has since subsided, Initiative I programs remain active in preserving the peace throughout Terran and Vasudan systems, against both NTF and HoL sympathizers.

Initiative II is the rebuilding and ongoing modernization of the Terran and Vasudan fleets, coordinated by the Yanhamu-Humphrey Navy Plan of 2368. For in-depth information, see the 'Yanhamu-Humphrey Navy Plan' article.

Initiative III is the complete fortification of all five nodes leading out of Terran-Vasudan space, and the construction of early-warning outposts in all systems two jumps out from GTVA territory. Initial fortification of the Dubhe, Altair, Regulus, Mirfak, and Adhara nodes was completed in 2370, and construction of early-warning outposts was completed by 2371. All five nodes are each guarded by 120 or more mobile sentry guns of various models, three battlegroups with full logistical support and first-priority selection of new equipment, and automated node-busters on 24-7 ten-minute standby. After Allied Command's failure to halt the Second Incursion at the easily-defensible Nebula-Capella axis, the Security Council is taking no chances with the defense of Allied systems.

Initiative IV is a series of long-range reconnaissance-in-force expeditions of systems far beyond GTVA borders. Initiative IV has three main objectives: detect and provide advance warning of any Shivan forces operating in nearby systems, identify resource-rich systems for possible colonization, and discover new potentially friendly or hostile spacefaring civilizations. These expeditions are mainly conducted by SOC stealth recon task forces, using the latest special-issue equipment, and ordered to avoid contact with Shivan or alien forces.

Initiative V is the Sol Gate Project, which uses Ancient subspace technology recovered from the Gamma Draconis Knossos to build a portal re-connecting Delta Serpentis and Sol. After numerous initial delays, Sol Gate construction is well underway, and the Gate is scheduled for completion in 2378. The Security Council has already begun diplomatic negotiations via radio with the Solar Commonwealth, Sol's reigning government, and hopes to negotiate a mutual-defense treaty or full political reunification once the Sol Gate is opened. The Solar Commonwealth is a military and industrial superpower, with a fleet larger than the entire GTVA's, according to our available data. If negotiations are successful, then the Commonwealth's massive fleet and its own technological advancements will reinforce the GTVA's defenses.

Initiative VI is the preservation of the Terran and Vasudan species and knowledge base, in the worst-case scenario of a successful Third Incursion and a complete collapse of the GTVA. As the Ancients flung a light into the future and gave us information crucial to surviving the Great War, so we will share our knowledge and memories with any species which might succeed us, thousands of years after our own fall. Several stasis facilities have been prepared, containing easily-translatable data cores which contain the GTVA's complete knowledge base, and stable breeding populations of Terrans and Vasudans in cryo-stasis. These facilities have been hidden in locations across and beyond GTVA space, and sent off into the interstellar void where even the Shivans cannot pursue.

Full implementation of the IDGS has required a massive peacetime defense budget, an average of 17% of GTVA yearly GTP. The Security Council's nigh-unsustainable post-Capella budgets have raised yearly inflation rates to nearly 8%, and nearly pushed the GTVA's economy to its breaking point. Only the looming threat of a Third Incursion has kept the General Assembly from revolting against the Security Council's proposed budgets. The Security Council hopes that reunification with Sol will open new trade opportunities, revitalizing the GTVA's economy, and enabling it to better support the expenses mandated by the IDGS
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:28:19 pm by Lepanto »
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline CT27

Re: Teasers: After Capella
Interesting article, I liked it.

Can we hear a little more about this "Yanhamu-Humphrey Navy Plan" though please?  I'm interested in hearing what kinds of new ships would get built.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Interesting article, I liked it.

Can we hear a little more about this "Yanhamu-Humphrey Navy Plan" though please?  I'm interested in hearing what kinds of new ships would get built.

Thanks.

I'll be posting that article later.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I like this very much already!
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Sounds like a solid base from which to build. I'm also interested to see which direction you want to go with regards to fleet building , so I'm keenly awaiting the next post. :nod:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
e: w/e just keep rocking

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Here's the juicy scoop on the post-Capella fleet, which at least two of you have been waiting for! Incoming WORDS signature, expodump configuration!

Yanhamu-Humphrey Navy Plan

The Yanhamu-Humphrey Navy Plan is the ongoing effort to modernize the Terran and Vasudan navies, to better defend the GTVA against threats foreign and domestic, as mandated by Initiative II of the Integrated Defense Grand Strategy.

In 2368, the Security Council established the Yanhamu-Humphrey Commission, a think tank tasked with evaluating the Allied militaries' performance during the Second Incursion, and offering across-the-board recommendations for overhauling the fleet. It was led by the Vasudan Admiral Yanhamu, a veteran of Capella, and Dr. Ezekiel Humphrey, chair of a prominent defense think-tank. The Commission, after reviewing battle reports and scrutinizing every aspect of the Second Incursion-era navy from multiple angles, concluded that the Second Incursion had exposed several crucial flaws in GTVA fleet strategy, tactics, and equipment.

In sum, the Commission concluded that the Capella-era Terran and Vasudan navies underperformed during the Second Incursion because they were built to re-fight the last war, that perennial failing of militaries since time immemorial. Both Reconstruction-era fleet design and Allied Command's wartime defense strategy, War Plan BLACK-IV, operated under the prevailing fundamental strategic assumptions of Reconstruction, which the Second Incursion proved to be inaccurate. Most important of these assumptions was that the Second Incursion fleet would be approximately equivalent in size to the Great War Lucifer fleet, and could be defeated by GTVA fleet units in a conventional pitched battle. To that extent, Allied fleets were efficiently deployed across Terran and Vasudan space for first response against any Shivan attack, but strategic thinking and equipment design neglected static fortifications and node denial. The GTSG Mjolnir sentry gun was only available in limited numbers by the time of the Second Incursion, even though large-scale Mjolnir deployment could have stopped the Second Incursion at the Knossos, or at the Gamma Draconis-Capella node, or so many military thinkers have concluded. When the Incursion fleet was overrunning Capella and threatening to break out into wider GTVA space, Allied Command's lack of purpose-built node-denial capability forced it to improvise by deploying the Bastion and Nereid, which barely survived Shivan attack for long enough to seal off Capella. Many resources which could have been used to broaden Allied defensive capabilities were instead allocated to the decade-late and heavily over-budget GTVA Colossus project. The Colossus had achieved its design goal of overwhelming supremacy against lesser
NTF and Shivan warships, but it was incapable of effectively engaging Sathanas-class juggernauts, and its swift destruction at Capella proved the futility of massive warship designs in a shock-jump-dominated tactical environment. Hindsight may be 20/20, and some modern historians defend the strategic decisions made by Allied Command, which had no knowledge of the Second Incursion fleet's full capabilities and threat during the opening phases of the war. Still, the Yanhamu-Humphrey Commission assigned considerable blame to Allied Command for its costly lack of strategic redundancy, caution, and foresight.

The Reconstruction fleet also suffered from tactical and technological weaknesses, especially on the Terran side. Terran capital ships were largely under-gunned, mounting under-performing beam cannon designs. Only the generation-old GTD Orion could effectively engage most Shivan warships in one-on-one tactical situations. Favoritism towards the capital fleet slowed Terran strikecraft development until near the end of the NTF Rebellion, forcing the loyalist Terran fleet to rely on the mediocre GTF Myrmidon, GTF Hercules II, and Great War-era designs for most of the Rebellion.

Most Terran and Vasudan capital ships, besides the GTC Aeolus, mounted weak AAA defensive batteries, rendering them vulnerable to Shivan bomber swarms. Some of the Terran fleet's weaknesses could be blamed on the long period of disunited Terran government and lack of defense development during Reconstruction, but some other weaknesses stemmed from the old Reconstruction-era assumptions, which the Commission proceeded to reevaluate in light of data from the Second Incursion.

With this information in mind, the Commission prepared its recommendations on rebuilding the gutted Capella-era fleet from the ground up. The new fleet would be a flexible, modernized fighting force, which incorporated the hard-earned lessons of the Second Incursion, and operated in concert with the other Initiatives of the conservative IDGS plan. These recommendations would be turned into the Yanhamu-Humphrey Navy Plan, a general framework for post-Capella naval construction, strategic deployment, and tactics. The Y-H Plan would be modified in future years by new technological and industrial developments, but its core principles still remain in effect.

First, the new navy had to remain strategically and tactically flexible. The Second Incursion had attacked the GTVA from an unexpected angle, and despite Initiative III having heavily fortified all known border nodes, the Commission was wary that future Shivan invasions might somehow bypass those well-defended chokepoints and strike at the heart of Allied space. To that end, the GTVA navy had to be capable of rapidly redeploying to meet threats from almost angle, and at least stalling Shivan fleets for long enough for static defenses and/or node-busters to cut off the Shivan line of advance. To that extent, the Terran fleet-based naval structure was rearranged to match the Vasudans' more flexible battlegroup model. The classical Terran fleet-based naval structure tied each fleet's logistics to its base system, which was efficient for peacetime operations and broad-front wars like the Terran-Vasudan war, but proved incapable of effectively supplying Terran fleets during the rapid strategic shifts of the late NTF Rebellion and Second Incursion. Under the battlegroup model, each battlegroup incorporated more organic logistical assets, enabling battlegroups to better support themselves in theaters with overtaxed or nonexistent static logistics.

In terms of shipbuilding and tactics, the Y-H Plan navy is centered around forward-firing shock-jump capabilities, which the Shivans had used to lethal effect during the Second Incursion, but has preserved tactical flexibility against unexpected threats.

Terran fleet development post-Capella combines the all-round flexibility characteristic of previous Terran shipbuilding with heavy beam cannon armament for shock-jump attacks. Modern Terran warships and strikecraft are generally more expensive than their Vasudan counterparts, but possess more varied weapons arrays and tactical capabilities, like heavy laser turrets and Universal Missile Launcher batteries. Many mid-size Terran warships, like the GTFg Menelaos strike frigate and the GTCa Phoenix carrier, carry small strikecraft complements, giving them organic air cover independent of vulnerable destroyers. Modern Terran beam weapons design is a far cry from the weak and inefficient Capella-era weapons designed during Reconstruction. Weapons like the GTBm Sunglare heavy beam cannon, mounted on the recent Icelus-class destroyers, can gut most known warships in one or two massed volleys, though they take longer to recharge than equivalent Vasudan beam weapons. A resurgence of railgun technology has resulted in meson-shell weapons like the GTRg Hammerhead-5 artillery railgun mounted on the GTCv Paris artillery corvette, and the GTW Sunder anti-hull subsystem-sniping cannon, which is still under development. The GTF Hector advanced multirole fighter, currently in limited OpEval testing in select battlegroups, is CR40 million more expensive than its Vasudan equivalent the GVF Inpu, but has a superior electronics suite and better weapons forward-compatibility.

Modern Vasudan shipbuilding, by contrast, emphasizes mass production of limited-role vessels, while maintaining their ships' characteristic high production quality. To apply a rough Earth historical analogy, the Terran Y-H Plan fleet exhibits the technology and flexibility of NATO, while the Vasudan fleet exemplifies the massed force and logistical redundancy of the Warsaw Pact. Many Vasudan warships, like the GVCv Petbe heavy strike corvette and the GVD Apophis beam artillery destroyer, are built around one or more heavy beam cannons, and mount fewer missile launchers and turrets than equivalent Terran vessels. This gives Vasudan warships devastating beam firepower on the attack, but leaves them vulnerable to flank jumps and bomber attacks. To this extent, the Vasudans have absorbed much of the Shivans' aggressive military ethos. Modern Vasudan beam weapons like the GVBm Pharaoh are also heavily based on recovered Second Incursion Shivan beam cannons, favoring rate of fire over single-shot punch. Vasudan strikecraft are designed for mass operations from larger carriers, like the inexpensive but single-role GVF Nhu superiority fighter.

All Y-H Plan warships and fighters benefit from a suite of new technologies, designed by Terran and Vasudan firms in close cooperation. Modern warships, Terran vessels especially, mount devastating defensive AAA batteries, allowing them to fight off small-scale bomber attacks without CAP support. The Universal Missile Launcher, mounted on most IDGS Terran warships, can fire anti-strikecraft missiles like the GTM Trebuchet, the GTTp Iris anti-capital torpedo, and the in-development GTTp Danaus subspace torpedo. Much new weaponry, like the GTM Onager multi-target swarm missile, is designed to counter Shivan numerical superiority with multi-target firepower. Electronics suites are receiving full overhauls. The Vasudan weapons industry, devastated by the fall of Vasuda Prime and largely limited to license-building Terran weaponry, has finally experienced a resurgence, and many Terran strikecraft and capital ships mount Vasudan-designed weaponry, like the GVAA Cartouche AAA beam. The GVW Grave pulse cannon is currently replacing the venerable HL-7 line as the standard primary weapon of Terran and Vasudan fighters.

More Y-H Plan technologies are still in development, though their specifics are highly classified. Beam flare technology, designed to defend Allied capital ships by redirecting Shivan beam fire, is almost ready for OpEval. Subspace missile technology is also in development, and once implemented, will give all UML-equipped ships cross-system engagement capabilities.

The Y-H fleet is entering deployment throughout the GTVA, though the battlegroups guarding the five gateway nodes to GTVA space have first priority for new equipment. Most Terran and Vasudan fleet units still field Capella-era equipment, though the Y-H Plan aims to equip all frontline fleet units with modern equipment by 2380. Attempts to refit Capella-era vessels with Y-H tech have encountered a host of major technical problems, and have been largely abandoned. Vasudan fleets, with their focus toward aggressive line combat, have largely been deployed on the frontiers of GTVA space, whereas the more flexible Terran battlegroups have been largely tasked with both internal fast-response duties and long-distance exploration.

All in all, the Y-H Plan fleet is designed to avoid the mistakes and incorporate the lessons of Capella, and defend the GTVA against future threats. The lack of large-scale conflict since the Second Incursion has left it largely untested by battle, though analysts are confident in its performance in future conflicts.

Offline CT27

Another great read, thanks for posting.

You said negotiations have already begun with Sol's government for reunification or at least a mutual defense treaty.  How are things going so far?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I guess I'm curious how much you're consciously drawing inspiration from Blue Planet, versus how much you're just walking a parallel road. I'm very interested in the places where your setting diverges, but a lot of beats are quite similar, from the sociopolitical turmoil to some of the specific political and strategic decisions—did they just feel like logical places to go?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Another great read, thanks for posting.

You said negotiations have already begun with Sol's government for reunification or at least a mutual defense treaty.  How are things going so far?

Thanks.  :)

Given that the two sides are talking by radio, negotiations are going slowly. Both sides, being militaristic superpowers, are suspicious and reluctant to share technological information. I plan to explore the actual reunification of Sol and the GTVA in a later, short-ish campaign; not to spoil too much about it, but it will take a very different take on Sol than anything you've seen before.

I guess I'm curious how much you're consciously drawing inspiration from Blue Planet, versus how much you're just walking a parallel road. I'm very interested in the places where your setting diverges, but a lot of beats are quite similar, from the sociopolitical turmoil to some of the specific political and strategic decisions—did they just feel like logical places to go?

BP has given me a lot of inspiration on writing detailed, realistic-ish political and military settings. However, I didn't want to slavishly copy BP. A lot of the similiarities you see, like the shock-jump fleet tactics and the Sol Gate project, were things that just made logical in-universe sense. I didn't feel like changing them just for the sake of being different, and hadn't come up with any better ideas which I wanted to use. There's only so many ways to write a well-realized post-Capella setting without introducing radical new changes (though I do have some radical changes in mind, down the road. ;7)

Though the setting and my campaigns' gameplay are definitely BP-inspired, I hope the final product feels different and fresh. Narrative- and gameplay-wise, I have some ambitious plans, some of which I'm deliberately not revealing for spoilers' sake, which should result in a very different FS campaign experience.

-----------------------------------------

To that extent, is there anything else about my setting and gameplay model which you'd like to know about? Please, ask questions; I want constructive criticism and opportunities to better flesh-out my setting.

Offline CT27

To make sure I understand things a bit more:

1-Colossus type ships are now anathema to GTVA fleet policy?

2-I know you mentioned there will be a carrier (Phoenix) with a small fighter complement.  Are light carriers as big as carriers will get or has the GTVA contemplated larger "fleet" carriers (like Wing Commander)?

I hope I'm not overdoing it with questions, I'll ease back after this for a while. :)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
To make sure I understand things a bit more:

1-Colossus type ships are now anathema to GTVA fleet policy?

2-I know you mentioned there will be a carrier (Phoenix) with a small fighter complement.  Are light carriers as big as carriers will get or has the GTVA contemplated larger "fleet" carriers (like Wing Commander)?

I hope I'm not overdoing it with questions, I'll ease back after this for a while. :)

1: For right now. The development of beam flares, which protect GTVA warships against Sath shock jumps, will make big ships practical again down the line.  ;7 I love huge ships, so you'll definitely be seeing some.

2: The Vasudans might have a huge fleet carrier, but it'd be a "carrier" similar to the INFR1 sense, mounting a LOL-huge beam cannon for Sath-busting. The Solar Commonwealth, operating on a different design ethos, will definitely have a fleet carrier.

Oh, please, more questions!

Offline CT27

2: The Vasudans might have a huge fleet carrier, but it'd be a "carrier" similar to the INFR1 sense, mounting a LOL-huge beam cannon for Sath-busting. The Solar Commonwealth, operating on a different design ethos, will definitely have a fleet carrier.

Since you gave permission:

I'd be curious to hear more about the fleet design/policy of the Solar Commonwealth.  Could we hear more about how their military is structured (if not now then at least down the line at some point)?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth

Since you gave permission:

I'd be curious to hear more about the fleet design/policy of the Solar Commonwealth.  Could we hear more about how their military is structured (if not now then at least down the line at some point)?

The Solar Commonwealth, which has designed its fleet mostly in isolation from the GTVA and its experiences with the Shivans, has followed a different design path. FYI, the SC's fleetpack will be mostly retextured Scooby_Doo Wing Commander ships. Their military is even more quantity-over-quality than the Vasudans, favoring mass production of mechanically-simple warships. Their technology is less sophisticated than the GTVA, but they make up for it with numbers and extensive fortifications in Sol.

The SC's military is built around fast, overwhelming response to an invasion of Sol. Like the UEF, their ships are short-range, logistically reliant on the massive network of fortifications in Sol, and unsuited for intersystem offensives. Its military is effective at in-system policing and at drowning the enemy in ships and firepower, but it's less flexible than the GTVA, and many of its admirals are unimaginative. The SC fleet is strong as a unified whole, but its individual elements are weak.

SC capships mount batteries of smaller beam cannons, based on the Lucifer's flux cannons, but they rely on powerful blob turrets for a lot of their anti-capital and anti-strikecraft firepower. They have their own anti-beam defense, anti-beam smoke. When enemy warships jump in beams a-blazing, SC warships pop smoke, which soaks up a lot of incoming beam damage. I don't know exactly how I'll represent it in-game; maybe a slow-moving, damage-able projectile with an armor type that's resistant to beams?

Offline CT27

Also, concerning the Solar Commonwealth, could you also loosely say what it's government structure is?  I.e., is the chief executive a President or Prime Minister?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Also, concerning the Solar Commonwealth, could you also loosely say what it's government structure is?  I.e., is the chief executive a President or Prime Minister?

I'd rather not touch on the SC's government, because it might hint at future plot spoilers.

Offline CT27

No worries.

Offline Luis Dias

I'd really love to see a post-Capella campaign that for once didn't involve a GTVA - Sol war, but cooperation, understanding and political ability to manage this coexistence in an efficient, peaceful, productive fashion. IDK, I just find the existent ones, especially the most clever, intelligent stories surrounding this particular war, as eggregiously pessimistic in this point.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Problem is how to tell such a story using the framing devices given by FS gameplay. The reunification is an important event, the desire to show it instead of treating it as fait accompli in the backstory is strong.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Problems exist to be solved!