Author Topic: [IMG Heavy] Autoummer's 3d works  (Read 6674 times)

[IMG Heavy] Autoummer's 3d works
Since I was introduced to 3dsmax by a friend a few years ago, I have been working on spacecraft and other vehicles in my spare time. This is my latest work-in-progress, a 2-km class space battleship for my own OU. I haven't figured out what to do for the underside (it is completely flat at the moment) and how to make good-looking greebles and would appreciate any comment and advice. Finally, I don't know how to texture the whole thing.

Short description:
Code: [Select]
Name: Muspel/Tirpitz-class Battleship (Muspel was laid down first but Tirpitz was completed first, leading to the confusing class name)
Vessels in service: 34
Length: 2145m
Primary armament: 18x 1m naval guns, 2x "Basalt" railgun systems, 1x retractable "Pumice" spinal railgun system
Secondary armament: numerous (depends on final design) 80cm diameter VLS launch cells, numerous (depends on final design) heavy VLS launch cells with "Starburn" antiship missiles
Defensive armament: 6x Testudo ASWS (Area Suppression Weapon System) (each ASWS is a turret with dual 3-barrel 380mm Gatling naval guns firing AoE shrapnel shells)
Shielding: Northstar GSX-2900 gravity shield (energy absorption capacity: 2900 EJ)
Amount of time survivable against Sathanas: 34 seconds

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: [IMG Heavy] Autoummer's 3d works
The level of detail on this is quite impressive.  If this was intended for the FS universe, I would question the use of the stub wings, but as this is your own thing, that's a moot point.  I do however fail to see the need for the large prow.  Scratch that... I just saw in your succession of images, that the prow splits into 2 pieces and slides back to reveal the apparent main gun.  That said, it looks too prominent to me and the FS engine doesn't handle submodel translation very well.  I would instead have doors with rotate out of the way.  Perhaps have 2 upper and 2 lower doors running the length of the weapon, which slide within a larger fixed structure on either side of the weapon, while a pair of semi-conical doors covering the emitter, rotate to each side, also sliding within the side structures.

As for the belly, you may want to do the opposite of the wide "spine" down the center of the top, and do a similarly-shaped trough down the center of the ventral.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Sorry for not getting back to you. I have had a busy week. I have made a new, less prominent prow but I am still working on the underside. Hopefully I can get something out soon.

Necroing my thread, RL has not been nice to me until lately. Sorry for being away for so long.

Dorsal profile view:

Ventral profile view:

Ventral profile view #2:

Rear profile view:

Wow, that's some nice work. Always have to love the stiletto-ships.

I do think it suffers from two dozen engine syndrome, though.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

I don't think you can ever have too many engines, as long as it works with the design language and they are handled tastefully with a clear hierarchy of size and location, which these are.  The weakest part of the design has got to be the thruster modules.  Beveled rectangles aren't sophisticated enough for what you're doing with the rest of the ship.  Especially the prow forms and the inset reverse thrusters, those are really beautiful.

Please don't make it more busy though. The last thing it needs is to be blanketed in greebles and panel lines so thick you can't even see what's happening like other FS ships.

Changed the engine modules a bit and added some AA batteries in small barbettes, how does this look?

Standard (dorsal) profile:

Ventral profile:

Ventral profile#2:

Aft profile:

Bow Ortho:

Side Ortho:

Dorsal Ortho:

Ventral Ortho:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
That's pretty freakin' sweet!  Nice job.

It looks great. :nod:
Nose reminds me Knifehead from Pacific Rim.

This ship is sick.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
nice work
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Luis Dias

Really really cool. Very impressive work. :yes:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Very nice.   :yes:
What paint finish are you going for? I can see sajuuk style striping suiting this.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I am still figuring out how to texture, but since the flag of the guys running the ship looks like this (see attachment) I am pretty sure a Sajuuk-style slanted stripe would be in order.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You seem to be doing alright so far bud, i'm keeping an eye on this  :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

(Sneaks back as if it was yesterday since last post)

I have finally learned how to UV things. Problem now is I still don't know how to texture things.

This is the Arrowhead FGR.49 Strike Fighter. Currently undergoing operational evaluation, the Arrowhead/Starflare Mk.49 pushes the airframe to its limits with the addition of a pair of engines. The quad engines produce so much thrust that several prototypes flew themselves apart when accelerating. Even with additional internal reinforcement braces, the Mk.49 cannot operate for more than 10 minutes under full acceleration or risk permanent structural damage. The reason so much engine power was added was for it to accommodate the SLOW (Stowage for Liquid, Ordnance and Weapons) Pack without losing performance. The SLOW pack more than doubles the range and payload of the Mk.49 and allows it to remain competitive against latest fighter craft. There are rumours that another weapons system taking advantage of the SLOW pack mounting points is being developed. However, it is expected to be the last in the CFA line, as the FMAF pursues the development of a new generation of separate strikecraft for air defence and strike operations.

This is the Starflare FGR.49 Strike Fighter. There are more Arrowheads and Starflares of various marks in the FMAF than all other strikecraft types combined. The two are collectively referred to as CFA (Common Fighter Airframe) fighters. The core fuselage module can accommodate two different airfoil modules, the delta-wing "Arrowhead" module with better speed and bigger payload or the conventional-style "Starflare" module geared towards dogfighting, at the cost of a lighter weapons payload. Swapping these modules and turning an Arrowhead into a Starflare or back takes only 30 minutes or even less when worked by an experienced crew.

Cool fighter! I love the underside cockpit paint, reminds me of the CF-18 Hornet.

Texture-wise, I find I have the most success if my panel lines are very thin and light, and mostly represented by the normal map. It can also help if the panel edges are the lightest part of the panel (oddgrim's models do this very well).  Usually this is achieved by making the edges of the panels look worn and scratched.

Thanks for the tip. Do you make your normal maps by making a high poly model first or simply draw them?

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Ace Combat. That's all I'mma say. :D

Really tho, I love modern fighter aesthetic. Nice model, super cool! Tasteful color scheme too, interesting without being overstated.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I really like the Flanker-style lines on your fighters. Quanto and I drew from that aesthetic quite heavily when we did the Feather 2 for SAFSO.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke