Author Topic: GTCv Deimos  (Read 87127 times)

Offline Kolgena

Hmm. I think it's starting to look a bit too round and poofy, but I'm probably just too used to an angular harder looking deimos.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I like the goggles :yes:
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Hmm. I think it's starting to look a bit too round and poofy, but I'm probably just too used to an angular harder looking deimos.

Yeah, this.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
No, wait... it's supposed to look like that, after all they are the result of "a new era of ship desing", they are supposed to look different that any other great war ship.

And I like the poofy look :p
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Too round. Stop looking at Strattcom's Fleetpack and start at standard Deimos :P. Your model lost character and feeling of Deimos, but I like greebles and other details of your model.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It's supposed to be somewhat round. Zod inspiration and all. While it does feel a tad oversmoothed, I do like the direction it's going.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
I thought Vasudans designed reactor and other stuff inside, not the looks. Anyway i think that deimos should have sharp edges, but i'm waiting to see it as whole, because Hades demonstrated magic abilities with detailing.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

I like it rounded but the middle segment should be straightened out to avoid the insect larva look.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I think I prefer rounded surfaces but knife-edge corners.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think I prefer seeing what Hades can come up with given more time to work on this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Deimos is RoundBrick.
It looks fine IMO, though maybe a few of the edges could stand to be de-smoothed.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Something else you may want to look into... if you're up for it.  The Deimos seen on the FS2 box cover art, has side-mounted turrets, which were not included for the ingame model due to engine limitations.  Now these limitations have been overcome (though I believe its a bit awkward to set up) we can now have non-dorsal and non-ventral multi-part turrets.  Therefore, you may also want to make a version mounting these turrets, as perhaps an alternate prototype version that was deemed over-armed or something and didn't get produced.  Campaigners could make use of it.  It's your project though.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Definitely will do that, good idea.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Something else you may want to look into... if you're up for it.  The Deimos seen on the FS2 box cover art, has side-mounted turrets, which were not included for the ingame model due to engine limitations.  Now these limitations have been overcome (though I believe its a bit awkward to set up) we can now have non-dorsal and non-ventral multi-part turrets.  Therefore, you may also want to make a version mounting these turrets, as perhaps an alternate prototype version that was deemed over-armed or something and didn't get produced.  Campaigners could make use of it.  It's your project though.

Warship? Over-armed? MADNESS!

Well, unless we pull a fast one about them putting too much strain on the reactors.

Oh, looks good as usual Hades. And as usual, the "MUST BE EXACTLY LIKE RETAIL WITH MORE POLIES" crowd is getting on my nerves. We have the capacity to use those extra polies to do something better than a simple upgrade people, so why don't we use this wonderful opportunity? Plus, I will also point out that Hades' Medusa is excellent, despite the initial naysayers, so why don't we all stand back and let the man work?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:32:16 pm by Ravenholme »
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Hades

The problem about those side turrets here is that they are big, very visible multiparts. Which wasn't the case of the Lucy's side bombardment beams.

Not... really. The Lucifer's bombardment beams' radius is about that of a Fenris' height.

As for the side guns, I might change the function up a but (make them have large, single barrels for heavier guns, missile pods, etc)

I haven't gotten to the chingine (chin engine) yet, still want to finish up the rest a bit more first.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I spy an intake looking thing on front?

I like the smooth approach - it's an advanced brick.  :)

Offline Hades

Wasn't really meant to be an intake so much as it was meant to make the front flow into the middle part better. I Also forgot to mention, the side multiparts had to be smaller than the top or bottom ones because they wouldn't have fit on the sides. Would have been the same way with the other, MVP Deimos.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Indeed, the turrets look cool, that's for sure, but they weren't there before... it will get confusing.
I love this model so far, even WITH turrets, but I do concur on the fact that those should not be there for the MVP version.

Keep going Hades, I'm dying to see what will the second and third engine look like :yes:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Any arguments or conversations about how or what anybody should do with PCS2 or etc has been split, feel free to continue it in the split thread and let's just keep this topic ON topic about the models progress, not debates on how it should or shouldn't be handled.

Thanks.

My only issues with the side turrets is that it means the nameplate will have to be re-positioned elsewhere. Which isn't really a problem per-se, it might look better in the back like the Hecate has.

Also, the box art has the side/underbelly of the front as a flat surface. The MediaVP one has a series of 3 wedge shapes, yours is completely recessed. Where and how will that affect the placement of the weapons going there?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:42:11 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys