Author Topic: Resolution Issue  (Read 3318 times)

I recently installed the game, and everything works great, except for the resolution.  I have 1600 x 900 selected in the dropdown on the launcher, but the game always plays in a 4:3 aspect ratio.

I'm running Windows 8 with an Nvidia 560M with the latest drivers.  Is it a Windows 8 thing?  All other parts of the game work wonderfully.  Here's the output from debugging:

Unable to go fullscreen!
ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 12 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_Diaspora_R1_Debug.exe! <no symbol>
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 14 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 133 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 88 bytes

Thanks!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Off the top of my head the only thing I can think of is that you've selected fullscreen window or something from the advanced options.

If you play the debug version from your Diaspora folder and then attach the fs2_open.log you'll find in your data folder afterwards, that might help us narrow down the cause of the problem.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Neither the 'Run in window' nor the 'Run in fullscreen window' checkboxes are selected.  I ran the debug verson, and I've attached the fs2open.log for you.

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

I was able to get the game to run at my selected resolution by adding -res 1900x600 as a custom flag.  You wouldn't happen to know the command line option to tell it to use 32-bit color depth?

I was able to get the game to run at my selected resolution by adding -res 1900x600 as a custom flag.  You wouldn't happen to know the command line option to tell it to use 32-bit color depth?
That should be selectable in the launcher...

Offline newman

Just to make sure there's no misundertanding, at the moment the in-game menus will always appear stretched when running them in widescreen - it's old code that doesn't support 16:9 or 16:10. However, in-mission graphics won't be stretched.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well I think I have an idea what is causing the problem. The launcher might be filtering out your chosen resolution since the artwork required to make some 600 pixel high resolutions isn't present in the game. 1900x600 seems to work though so it appears we set the bar too high.

This was done via a code change to the Diaspora version of the launcher but the older version won't have that change. Then again it might simply crash out or fail to read a Diaspora profile (though that's unlikely).

Yeah, it completely ignores the resolution and color depth I select in the launcher, and defaults to 1024x768, 16-bit, unless, of course, I set the -res flag.  Can't seem to do anything about the color depth, though.

I tried the older version of wxLauncher, both 0.9.0 and 0.9.1, but the problem persists.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Did you actually launch the game using the older version or did you just set the resolution and then swap back to the newer one?

I launched the game.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
You wouldn't happen to be using Norton would you?  http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=83397.0
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Nope.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The only other thing I can think of then is to manually edit the registry yourself using regedit. You really shouldn't be able to screw up anything doing that but messing with the registry isn't something I'd suggest doing to someone who hasn't done it before.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Volition\FreeSpace2\VideocardFs2open is the entry you are after. Simply change it to the resolution you want and then run the game directly from the .exe in your Diaspora folder rather than running the launcher (which I suspect will just set it back).

Thanks!  I'll give it a try.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Kara, using your registry destination line I tracked down my FS2 registry, but mine displays all the proper settings.  It seems as though FSO is ignoring my registry.  Is there some way I can force the launcher to know where to look for my FS registry... either the old or the wxLauncher?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

My problem looked similar. The topic "registry" gave me the idea of a Windows 8 security issue. For me I solved it by starting the launcher once in Admin mode and saving the settings. Afterwards also with normal start game resolution changed to the selected one. Hopefully it also solves your problem.