Author Topic: How hard would it be to implement UPnP port forwarding?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
How hard would it be to implement UPnP port forwarding?
Because, honestly, if you want to get / maintain a multi player base, I think it's probably a must.  It's not even that enthusiasts have to ask for help, then they have to turn around and help anyone they want to play with (and consider, everyone's got differing router hardware) when they introduce the game (say, Diaspora).

See this thread:

Quote from: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=91768.0

I want to play FSO/SCP multiplayer.
I checked these places first.
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Multiplayer_Getting_Started_Guide
And its link to a blank page: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Port_Forwarding

My interface looks like this in my Netgear router, see attachments.

So "As FreeSpace Open uses port 7808" I didn't see a simple way to add the ports.
Set the internal and external starting and ending ports to 7808.

That being said, you might have trouble finding someone to play multiplayer with.
How hard would it be to get FSO to request that port to be forwarded by the router using uPnP?  Because, honestly, unless it's a huge pain in the neck, I'd think we would want to do that -- if we ever get a lot of multi players again (Diaspora release maybe?) that might help attract more / keep more (no one wants to ask for help setting up port forwarding, love the game, then have to explain to every friend they want to play online with how to do the same for each and every one of their particular routers!!)
Still having issues connecting to a buddy on 3.7.4 and 3.6.18 multiplayer.

This is my configured port forward.
When I am in lobby, it shows when he hosts, and vise versa when I host. But when I/he checks it shows no games. Ideas?

He suggested DMZ???
I agree with JR2, this issue needs to be fixed. We have been port forwarding and DMZing all weekend and nothing seems to fix the issue. BTW Does Freespace support IPv6 because thats what I have. Maybe theres another port or something that we missed. Or a CFG file that needs to be changed. IDK

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: How hard would it be to implement UPnP port forwarding?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Which builds have this included for testing?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
er, none, I guess I missed that step, ~also~ needs builds created for testing  :nervous:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Echelon9

Hello,
I'm the coder who created that branch -- would love to see some people step up to the plate to assist testing it out.
Currently, the UPnP feature branch is known to compile on Linux and OS X. Sorry, I do not have any development environments for Windows at the moment - and not really interested in going through the hassle of setting one up.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Does it require any special libraries?  I can try to make some builds if it's just checkout and compile.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Let me know if you need someone else to test that.  (Someone to connect to and / or host).

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Does it require any special libraries?  I can try to make some builds if it's just checkout and compile.

Seems to require this external lib: http://miniupnp.free.fr/
----
----