Author Topic: Release: 3.8.0-RC1  (Read 11203 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Before you do anything, make sure you have updated your git submodules, either by running git submodule update --init --recursive or by cloning the repository with the --recursive flag.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

The E: I'm not sure what you're talking about.  Everything is up to date I believe.  I just downloaded the latest version from github.  I also just downloaded and installed git and am now trying to figure out how to work this app too.  What do I type in git to get this updated?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hang on. Did you just simply get the zip'ed version of the github repository?

If so, you'll be needing this. Download it, and unpack the contents of this archive into the cmake folder in your FS2 source directory (so you should have a folder called "external" in the cmake folder).

Our instructions and procedures are written based on the assumption that anyone who wishes to compile their own builds will also (eventually, hopefully) contribute to the development of FSO, and as such use git to get a copy of the source repo.

The E: That did the trick.  I'm amazed.  Unlike most things out there, this is a solid project.  Everything just... works. :D  I do understand the reasoning about using github to allow lots of people to contribute to the engine.  I just think at major releases it would be cool to release the solution files for major versions of vis studio for less experienced people like me who do know how to program and just want to fiddle with it as a hobby on our days off, instead of having to troubleshoot, install apps, get a headache, etc.

I noticed that the version it compiled was 3.7.5, probably because that was the zipped version on the github repository.  How would I going about pulling the latest version, which is 3.8 right now yes?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The E: That did the trick.  I'm amazed.  Unlike most things out there, this is a solid project.  Everything just... works. :D  I do understand the reasoning about using github to allow lots of people to contribute to the engine.  I just think at major releases it would be cool to release the solution files for major versions of vis studio for less experienced people like me who do know how to program and just want to fiddle with it as a hobby on our days off, instead of having to troubleshoot, install apps, get a headache, etc.

This is something we will not do. CMAKE is a perfect solution for our particular needs, and the built-in CMAKE support in VS2017 means that you don't need solution files anymore.

I noticed that the version it compiled was 3.7.5, probably because that was the zipped version on the github repository.  How would I going about pulling the latest version, which is 3.8 right now yes?

We have not yet created a special 3.8 branch yet (we will likely do this when we release 3.8), so this is entirely correct.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually I think the release process should have created a 3.8 RC1 tag with the correct versioning committed, should be able to check that out or download the archive of that specific hash I think.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline m!m

It looks like the GitHub source code export does not include git submodules which is a problem for us since we need them. I'll see if I can add a source code export feature to the release script which would include the submodules.

So for clarification the Nightly builds after 3.8 RC1 contain new commits and changes not present in the 3.8 RC1 release.  And if I want to do testing the most current code I should use the most recent nightly.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yes, although RC2 should probably be right around the corner.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Cool!  Looking forward to the official 3.8 release :)

Hello all, I downloaded the Win32 version and extracted it in my FreeSpace 2 root folder like I did with every other FS2 Open executables, but when I select it and click "Play", a Windows error pops-up saying that wxLauncher has stopped working. My Windows version is 6.2.9200 and OpenAL is installed in a different folder. Am I doing something wrong?

You probably need the current 0.12 version of wxLauncher. Anyone have a direct link to the Windows installer for him?
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thank you for the help. I downloaded and installed wxlauncher-0.12.0-rc.2.exe from here (https://github.com/scp-fs2open/wxLauncher/releases), but when I run it says something along the lines of "Impossible to run the program because api-ms-win-crt-heap|1-1-0.dll is missing in your computer".

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
when I select it and click "Play", a Windows error pops-up saying that wxLauncher has stopped working.
That wxLauncher has stopped working? That's not a typical result from trying to run 3.8 RC1 on wxLauncher 0.10.1.
"Impossible to run the program because api-ms-win-crt-heap|1-1-0.dll is missing in your computer".
:wtf: Could you get a screenshot of that error message?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
I was actually getting that error a while ago on wxLauncher 0.10.1 when running 3.8 RC1. I assumed it was because of some of the SDL 0.10.1 doesn't know how to handle. wxLauncher 0.12.0 has been working happily with 3.8 RC1 (unfortunately I don't have documentation of 0.10.1's issues as of now though I can reinstall it if documenting the problem would be helpful in the long run).
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Could you get a screenshot of that error message?

Sure, here it is (showing my FreeSpace root folder too in case I'm missing some files). The error reads:

wxlauncher.exe - System error

Impossible to run the program because api-ms-win-crt-heap-|1-1-0.dll is missing in your computer. Try reinstalling the program to solve the problem.

_____

Actually I just found the problem: your work is too awesome for my pc ^^

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/api-ms-win-crt-string-1-1-0dll-and-others-missing/85a91890-ed8a-4e6e-8f94-b53639c39970

Thanks all for the help anyway :)

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:04:30 am by Durandal7 »