Author Topic: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta version  (Read 213814 times)

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta version
I am getting a really weird issue with glowmaps.  On standard ships, they look fine, but ever since I installed these new VPs, standard textures on user made ships look like they have no glowmaps (they look like retail textures).  This problem disappears when I use the 3.6.8 zeta MV_Textures VP.

Also - The new Shivan beam effects look great, but they sometimes look kind of odd (see screenshot).

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Regarding the secord part of Blowfish's post above:

Uh, the hell? The Ravanas I run into don't fire anything near that cool looking. I'm getting this straight beam of red light, nothing fancy at all, and it does a massive amount of damage.

Actually, now that I think of it, all the Shivan ships seem to have the same game-breakingly-powerful, solid-red beams...even the Lilith. I just finished watching the Keeper in Blue Planet (with a pilot that worked with the previous VPs) get cut down by a single Lilith on medium. The thing fired maybe...four or five times, or so, and the Keeper went down. The beam was about as wide as the Lilith's body.

I'll go back in-game and see if I can get a snap of it...seems only to have happened to my Shivans. Never had anything weird happen before this, too.

EDIT: Also, just to be sure...these VPs are compatible with everything that worked with the previous batch, right? Like BP.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I am getting a really weird issue with glowmaps.  On standard ships, they look fine, but ever since I installed these new VPs, standard textures on user made ships look like they have no glowmaps (they look like retail textures).  This problem disappears when I use the 3.6.8 zeta MV_Textures VP.

Also - The new Shivan beam effects look great, but they sometimes look kind of odd (see screenshot).

That can only happen if you didn't delete/remove the mv_models.vp.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Regarding the secord part of Blowfish's post above:

Uh, the hell? The Ravanas I run into don't fire anything near that cool looking. I'm getting this straight beam of red light, nothing fancy at all, and it does a massive amount of damage.

Actually, now that I think of it, all the Shivan ships seem to have the same game-breakingly-powerful, solid-red beams...even the Lilith. I just finished watching the Keeper in Blue Planet (with a pilot that worked with the previous VPs) get cut down by a single Lilith on medium. The thing fired maybe...four or five times, or so, and the Keeper went down. The beam was about as wide as the Lilith's body.

I'll go back in-game and see if I can get a snap of it...seems only to have happened to my Shivans. Never had anything weird happen before this, too.

EDIT: Also, just to be sure...these VPs are compatible with everything that worked with the previous batch, right? Like BP.

I didn't change any weapon stats in the tables. If the weapons are stronger or weaker, something else is most likely interfering, which probably also explains why the correct effects do not show up.

Please download the readme and follow the instructions step by step.

The compability with mods is yet to be tested. I also noted that there migth be problems with some mods, although only problems of graphical nature. (Also in the readme)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline blowfish

That can only happen if you didn't delete/remove the mv_models.vp.

But I did remove mv_models.vp.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
The models in the MV_Assets.vp all use renamed textures. Pretty much none of them can even use the maps included in the mv_textures.vp.

Make sure you don't have a mv_models.vp in the root directoy either. Also look for the z_pack.vp.

Check your MV_Assets.vp. Maybe the file is corrupt and doesn't work.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
In "Their Finest Hour" it appers there are some beam-free issues

Has that one been in Mantis before?
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline blowfish

The models in the MV_Assets.vp all use renamed textures. Pretty much none of them can even use the maps included in the mv_textures.vp.

Make sure you don't have a mv_models.vp in the root directoy either. Also look for the z_pack.vp.

Check your MV_Assets.vp. Maybe the file is corrupt and doesn't work.

Well, that would explain why no user-made ships look correct ... if all of the textures are renamed (all the HTL models work fine).

So is it safe to use mv_textures with mv_assets, or will that mess something up?

I didn't change any weapon stats in the tables. If the weapons are stronger or weaker, something else is most likely interfering, which probably also explains why the correct effects do not show up.

Please download the readme and follow the instructions step by step.

The compability with mods is yet to be tested. I also noted that there migth be problems with some mods, although only problems of graphical nature. (Also in the readme)

Yeah, it's not a problem in the installation. That was my first thought. It actually seems to just be the beam itself: just tested it, and found that the ships are using the HRed beam. That explains the monstrous damage, though I thought they had a different look to them. Here's an image of the beam itself.

Is that the correct effect for the HRed? Solid red, no white core? Seems a little odd, compared to the others, which I stared at long enough to fly into, unfortunately. Did the same with most of the normal-mapped ships.

I know you've heard it before, but you guys (Upgrade Project, et al) are absolutely amazing. @_@

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Hey people.  I've really loved this release of the MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta.  The missile engine glows really make it look a lot more realistic.  I was just wondering if you could do something similar for ship thrusters too.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Well, that would explain why no user-made ships look correct ... if all of the textures are renamed (all the HTL models work fine).

So is it safe to use mv_textures with mv_assets, or will that mess something up?

No, you got it wrong. The texturenames in the models have been renamed, as well as the textures. So using the mv_textures should practially do nothing. It has textures in it, no model is looking for. You might only mess the tables a bit by adding it.

So I suppose your Assets VP isn't working correct.

Is that the correct effect for the HRed? Solid red, no white core?

No it looks broken. Actually no beam effect looks like that.

But again, if the ships have beams they shouldn't have, or the beams do more damage than they should do, there are most likely other VPs, or tbls interfering. Make sure your FS2 directory is clean. Also look into the data folder. There really shouldn't be any tables in there.

Hey people.  I've really loved this release of the MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta.  The missile engine glows really make it look a lot more realistic.  I was just wondering if you could do something similar for ship thrusters too.

Thanks. Finally somebody wrote something about that. ;)
The flares for the missiles where actually an idea for SoL, but I was able to expand that by making use of the mipmaps. So the flares fade in. ;)

I'd love to see that for the fighters, but it would be quite a bit of work and I won't do it, but it is possible.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 08:32:02 pm by DaBrain »
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Didn't run any missions, just looked through the tech room. Good job, Devs!
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline blowfish

Yeah, it's not a problem in the installation. That was my first thought. It actually seems to just be the beam itself: just tested it, and found that the ships are using the HRed beam. That explains the monstrous damage, though I thought they had a different look to them. Here's an image of the beam itself.

Is that the correct effect for the HRed? Solid red, no white core? Seems a little odd, compared to the others, which I stared at long enough to fly into, unfortunately. Did the same with most of the normal-mapped ships.

If that is BluePlanet (which I think it is), then those Ravanas are supposed to be using HReds instead of LReds in that mission.  Don't know what's wrong with those beams though ... the HRed looks OK to me (aside from having no beamglow).  I think that the issue you are experiencing occurs when one of the beam textures defined in the table can't be found anywhere, though I have no idea why this would happen.

No, you got it wrong. The texturenames in the models have been renamed, as well as the textures. So using the mv_textures should practially do nothing. It has textures in it, no model is looking for. You might only mess the tables a bit by adding it.

So I suppose your Assets VP isn't working correct.

But won't user-made ships still be looking for those textures?  Or are those textures supposed to be in mv_assets too?

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
If that is BluePlanet (which I think it is), then those Ravanas are supposed to be using HReds instead of LReds in that mission.  Don't know what's wrong with those beams though ... the HRed looks OK to me (aside from having no beamglow).  I think that the issue you are experiencing occurs when one of the beam textures defined in the table can't be found anywhere, though I have no idea why this would happen.

Well, maybe Blueplanet is requesting beam textures from an older MediaVP, which don't exist anymore. I don't know.

The first thing I'd try, is use FS2 without any mods and see if that helps.

But won't user-made ships still be looking for those textures?

Yes, that's why I wrote that into the readme.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
So, uh, why does MV_Effects\models (with the exception of shockwave.pof) have redundant POFs as contained in MV_Assets\models? I can determine a difference with some, but not all.

(by differences, I mean OTHER than texture renaming.)

Also, mv_shockwave-shp and mv_shockwave-wep are identical between MV_Effects and MV_AdvEffects.

*EDit: Corrected myself before I embarassed myself.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 10:14:14 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline blowfish

Hmm ... the HTL Dis seems to have some holes in its texture, possibly maps that didn't get renamed?  Also the HTL TAC 1 (I never thought there would actually be one) seems to have too little mass - I can knock it around with Subachs and Tempests, and it has a seizure when it blows up.

I will place a mirror up as soon as i get these files.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 11:19:37 pm by FT-Hunter »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
blowfish: The mass value is attributed, but the CENTER of mass is not, according to PCS2.

The moment of inertia values are radically different as well.

**Edit: Changing the moment of inertia values in ModelView32 corrected it for me. I was going to edit in PCS2, but upon saving, the file size doubled for no reason what so ever (that I could determine). Which sucked, because I had to hex edit the pof to rename debris-2 to debris02.

Also, I noticed that while I fixed the thrusters positions on the Ravana, I forgot that the model lacked collision. From the thread ARSPR linked to (The topic for the Ravana) a RAR was attached which had both fixed thrusters and collision.

Capital2S-01.7z is an updated copy of that model.
MD5: 8A870A7DF59FB45A1F46D0366AE14370

And the fixed Cargo Container:
Cargo03.7z
MD5: 8F800B8E7E7B08C0733EAC3AC0F2F196

DaBrain: You might want to clear out your cache folder. I've found alot of blueplanet cache files in MV_Assets. I also have alot of cache files being generated INSPITE of them existing in MV_Assets: AstB01, AstB02, AstB03, Belial, CMeasure01, spacehunk and naturally, Capital2S-01 and Cargo03. Adding the updated ones into MV_Assets does not generate new ones.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:01:32 am by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
So, uh, why does MV_Effects\models (with the exception of shockwave.pof) have redundant POFs as contained in MV_Assets\models? I can determine a difference with some, but not all.

(by differences, I mean OTHER than texture renaming.)

Also, mv_shockwave-shp and mv_shockwave-wep are identical between MV_Effects and MV_AdvEffects.

*EDit: Corrected myself before I embarassed myself.
Yeap, there are a lot of useless models in mv_effects. They're never going to be loaded if assets is present.

OTOH Zacam is right. If as a installation rule you post that mv_adveffects needs mv_effects, then you can delete the redundant shockwave definition tables from mv_adveffects.

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Thanks for the small fixes Zacam I didn't see those.  I was just about to mention the crazy cargo container when it took damage spinning in all directions.