Author Topic: How many fighters in a wing, how many wings in a squadron?  (Read 7272 times)

How many fighters in a wing, how many wings in a squadron?
Like the title says.

Also, what is the organization of fleets?  I take it every fleet is led by one destroyer, and contains severals corvettes and cruisers?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: How many fighters in a wing, how many wings in a squadron?
Anywhere from two to six ships in a wing (four is standard). 'Love the Treason...' seems to show a full squadron in action and it's more than twelve.

As for B, we don't really know.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
It's apparently backwards from what it is IRL (where a wing is multiple squadrons, a squadron is maybe 12(?) fighters, and what FS calls wings is a "flight")

Or so I was told when I assumed FS actually got that right.

Offline -Norbert-

Off the top of my head I think I remember 3 wings forming a squadron, but I'm not sure. Just watch the Colossus introduction cutscene and you can see it in the upper left corner of the screen when they talk about the fighter capacity.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
That just tells us they use icons that look like the Triforce  :lol:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Off the top of my head I think I remember 3 wings forming a squadron, but I'm not sure. Just watch the Colossus introduction cutscene and you can see it in the upper left corner of the screen when they talk about the fighter capacity.
Yeah. 3 wings a squadron. 4 ships a wing.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah. 3 wings a squadron. 4 ships a wing.

But, but, what about 'Love the Treason...'?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
That may be an extra-large squadron for a very specific mission?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
They were guarding something that Bosch himself thought was extremely important. They'd probably have deployed more than the normal number of d00ds. The 185th as an NTF squadron probably doesn't follow GTVA organizational structures anyway.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
But, but, what about 'Mystery of the Trinity'?

All those wings were from the same squadron, weren't they? Kappa Wing certainly was.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
But, but, what about 'Mystery of the Trinity'?

All those wings were from the same squadron, weren't they? Kappa Wing certainly was.
Hey man I'm just reading what the Colossus cutscene says!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
IT'S A RETCON  :mad:

Perhaps in those missions, they had to bring in reserve craft and pilots? In the case of 'Love the Treason...', in order to provide extra protection for the Sunder, and in the case of 'Mystery of the Trinity', in order to search as wide an area as possible?

It seems sensible to have another 12 (or however many it's supposed to be) pilots and craft kept in reserve, and maybe operate them in rotation.

On another note, some squadrons fly more than one fighter or bomber class, so those units would probably be bigger than other squadrons that only fly a single class in terms of numbers of craft. I don't know if they'd have enough pilots to field both classes all at once though. FS doesn't provide many details to go on.

what FS calls wings is a "flight")

Yeah, they use that most of the time. I recall that in 'Mystery of the Trinity', Command says "All flights report in" at one point, but for the rest of game "wings" is used.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 03:36:51 pm by lostllama »

I was actually also wondering if the "150 spacecrafct" that Aquitaine has means all fighters or just the main ones, and does not include reserves.  Since, when you are selecting your ship and have several to choose from, does that mean you're taking ships from other squadrons?  Or are those reserve craft not included in the "150 craft" mentioned?

EDIT:  I was also thinking that maybe Aquitaine has 150 craft total, but they are not all strictly assigned to a squadron.  For example, there might be 30 Myrmidons on board, but only 8 are assigned to the Hammerheads, and the rest is for everyone else, with elite squadrons like the blue lions having priority selection.  I'm wondering how this works IRL on carriers and such.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 04:03:47 pm by Bonehead »

When choosing alternative ships, it's possible that they belong to other squadrons. But I'd imagine that it would be awkward for the technicians having to spray on a different squadron crest each time a pilot from a different unit requests another unit's ship.

As for the Aquitaine's compliment of "150 combat spacecraft" (Admiral Petrarch's words), the tech description actually says that the Hecate carries over 150. I'm thinking Petrarch may have meant in terms of the number of ships that are combat ready and that could be deployed at a single time. This, together with the tech description, might suggest that perhaps those 150 don't account for the (possible) reserve compliment.

Does anyone know the exact number of squadrons that were stationed on the Aquitaine (or that can be stationed on a Hecate)?

When choosing alternative ships, it's possible that they belong to other squadrons. But I'd imagine that it would be awkward for the technicians having to spray on a different squadron crest each time a pilot from a different unit requests another unit's ship.

As for the Aquitaine's compliment of "150 combat spacecraft" (Admiral Petrarch's words), the tech description actually says that the Hecate carries over 150. I'm thinking Petrarch may have meant in terms of the number of ships that are combat ready and that could be deployed at a single time. This, together with the tech description, might suggest that perhaps those 150 don't account for the (possible) reserve compliment.

It's a possibility, but also see my edit above.

Does anyone know the exact number of squadrons that were stationed on the Aquitaine (or that can be stationed on a Hecate)?

The wiki says 12 squadrons, giving a total of 132 craft.

i always took "150 combat spacecraft" to mean fighters, bombers, and support ships that fly unarmed, practically undefended into the heat of the battle with a cargohold full of stuff that goes boom. in the colossus cutscene when talking about collie's massive hanger mentions 60 fighter and bomber wings. the graphic mentions 4 craft per wing, 3 wings per squadron

EDIT:  I was also thinking that maybe Aquitaine has 150 craft total, but they are not all strictly assigned to a squadron.  For example, there might be 30 Myrmidons on board, but only 8 are assigned to the Hammerheads, and the rest is for everyone else, with elite squadrons like the blue lions having priority selection.  I'm wondering how this works IRL on carriers and such.

That's possible. (Also, it'd probably be a quick and easy job to replace a squadron crest as and when needed. What I said in my above post, I meant in jest).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 04:35:23 pm by lostllama »

I've come up with an example of how the fighters might be organized on the Aquitaine:

1. 20 GTF Myrmidon:
   - 8 for 53rd Hammerheads
   - 4 for some other squadron(s)
   - 4 for everyone
   - 4 as replacements
2. 20 Hercules Mk. II
   - 8 for 107th Ravens
   - 4 for everyone
   - 4 as replacements
3. 20 GTF Perseus
   - 8 for 242nd Suicide Kings
   - 4 for 134th Barracudas
   - 4 for everyone
   - 4 as replacements
3. 20 GTB Artemis
   - 8 for 64th Raptors
   - 6 for some other squadron(s)
   - 2 for everyone
   - 2 as replacements
4. 10 GTF Erinyes:
   - 6 for 70th Blue Lions
   - 2 for everyone
   - 2 as replacements
5. 10 GTF Pegasus
   - 4 for 134th Barracudas
   - 4 for everyone
   - 2 as replacements
6. 10 GTF Ares
   - 4 for 70th Blue Lions
   - 2 for 107th Ravens
   - 2 for everyone
   - 2 as replacements
7. 10 GTB Artemis D.H.
   - 4 for 64th raptors
   - 2 for some othe squadron(s)
   - 2 for everyone
   - 2 as replacements
8. 15 GTB Medusa
   - 5 for 64th Raptors
   - 2 for all bomber squadrons
   - 4 as replacements
9. 10 GTB Boanerges
   - 4 for 64th Raptors
   - 2 as replacements
10. 10 GTB Zeus
   - 4 for 64th raptors
   - 4 for some othe squadron(s)
   - 2 as replacements
11. 5 GTB Ursa
   - 2 for 64th raptors
   - 2 for all bomber squadrons
   - 1 as replacement
12. 4 GTF Ulysses
   - 2 for 134th Barracudas
   - 2 for everyonee

This gives a total of 154 combat spacecraft.  Please note that this is just a quickly-made example, I haven't actually went into game to look what ships are available in every mission.

Also add 12 support ships (1 for each squadron +1 extra).

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
the ulys were probably shipped in with the TAG A missiles adapted for the test

also 10 is less than an assumed squadron ho how dose the 70th field a full force in Erinyes

Aries is a limited deployment craft (more so than Erinyes as it is only available for top mission performance) so i would say 6 tops

also no one has mentioned the possibility that there might be a few Triton type freighters jumping about a fleet's destroyers carrying spare / reserve fighters and missiles which would explain the near endless supply of fighters.  Also I would imagine the turn around for an emptied freighter to return with new fighters from GTVA command would be days especially as the GTVA is already on the war footing
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art