Author Topic: GTD Orion featured on Spacedock show.  (Read 1990 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
GTD Orion featured on Spacedock show.
Well the very good show about scifi ships has now taken to freespace and done a video featuring everyones favourite brick lol, the GTD orion. Very good vid and still nice to see Freespace get some coverage today.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s-sgJc6XYSg
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline -Norbert-

Re: GTD Orion featured on Spacedock show.
"adding beam lasers"  lol

Offline Snarks

I forgot about that silly tech description: "The cost of an Orion class vessel construction outweighs the cost of paying its crew for 3 years."

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
I forgot about that silly tech description: "The cost of an Orion class vessel construction outweighs the cost of paying its crew for 3 years."

Is it really that bad?
Stuff

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
No, it's expensive, but a pretty rational sort of number. If you assume the GTA pays roughly what navies today pay, you end up somewhere around 2-3 billion AUD in todays money (1.5-2 billion USD). That's about a third of a modern aircraft carrier.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Snarks

No, it's expensive, but a pretty rational sort of number. If you assume the GTA pays roughly what navies today pay, you end up somewhere around 2-3 billion AUD in todays money (1.5-2 billion USD). That's about a third of a modern aircraft carrier.

Which when put into that perspective, makes the Orion seem pretty inexpensive.

My gripe with that description is that it's a rather terrible way of saying the Orion is supposed to be expensive. There are plenty of other ways of making an Orion seem expensive that the audience can actually relate to without digging into some weird salary/wage chart of service men. Why not give the amount of years it take to build one? Or how many of these vessels are in service? How many Orions can be expected to be built per planet? Heck, I'd be ok with the line simply being dropped.

Yeah it's a completely ridiculous comparison to draw.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.