Author Topic: GTM Hippocrates WIP  (Read 81235 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
No, that was a different shape.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Rather than remove the panel I just hid the faces. You can still see the out line of it but now you can see the structure underneath. I plan on adding more struts to the back and front portions, just didn't want to spend all the time doing it only to scrap it if no one liked it.

By brotherbryon at 2008-11-06
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
me likes like that.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Very nice!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
me likes like that.

Me doesn't

Too much griders and the ships stop looking solid and ends up looking more like a unfinished construction project. I prefer it to be closer to hte original - solid armored block, but with interesting greebling stuff.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Me doesn't

Too much griders and the ships stop looking solid and ends up looking more like a unfinished construction project. I prefer it to be closer to hte original - solid armored block, but with interesting greebling stuff.

For once trash, I kind of agree

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Maybe a few small blob turrets for blowing away the stray asteroid.

So lose the armor panel or just reshape it?
Make smaller panels covering a few critical systems in the superstructure but leave the rest exposed?
Make it all solid?

Keep in mind this is a medical ship not meant to be on the front lines so It should look relatively weak. At the first sign of trouble the ships captain's first instinct should be to run.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I think most parts of the ships should be exposed. Even armored plating should show up a few lights, IMO.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Overall, I'm a a fan, though I think perhaps I wouldn't have gone with cylindrical connectors on the long axis. I guess I can kinda see why you did it, but the concept art makes it pretty clear that these are supposed to be squared off. Moreover, I think they kind of make it look a little small - like those areas are single man sized corridors rather than big thick connectors they are on a seven hundred metre long ship.

The engines are nice though, and the greebling overall seems appropriate. I particularly like the second version of the front brace - the central column it has now makes logical sense and gives it a look of solidity and strength, like a proper structural support (and I know, that'd be largely useless in space, but the aesthetics are, I think, important).
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Overall, I'm a a fan, though I think perhaps I wouldn't have gone with cylindrical connectors on the long axis. I guess I can kinda see why you did it, but the concept art makes it pretty clear that these are supposed to be squared off. Moreover, I think they kind of make it look a little small - like those areas are single man sized corridors rather than big thick connectors they are on a seven hundred metre long ship.

I have to disagree. If they were just tubes, you might be right, but with the bracing on each end I think it looks really great. It reminds me of old NASA concept art of space stations.

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
I have to disagree. If they were just tubes, you might be right, but with the bracing on each end I think it looks really great. It reminds me of old NASA concept art of space stations.

Your right, I think I kind of had that theme running in the back of my mind when I did those sections. Any way I don't think I've shown it from this angle. You can see how it connects to the head better.

By brotherbryon at 2008-11-08

Damn how the hell do you type so well when you are drunk Colonol. I had to double check everything?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
This thread is for discussion of BrotherBryons WIPs rather than the role of the thing in a battle or why it has big guns etc. ;) Thread split and the other bit moved to general.

As for the cylinders, hey can you try adding some smaller pipe details around the outside faces running in parallel to the main tubes? I think that'd look pretty nice.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
As for the cylinders, hey can you try adding some smaller pipe details around the outside faces running in parallel to the main tubes? I think that'd look pretty nice.

Something like this?

By brotherbryon at 2008-11-09

Oh and the smaller tubes are large enough for a couple of people to walk through side by side.

Just out of curiosity what would be the polly budget for a ship this size. The additional tubes and struts pushed the current polly count well over 9000.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 09:18:39 am by BrotherBryon »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
The additional tubes and struts pushed the current polly count well over 9000.

/sorry

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

Something like this?

*SNIP*

Oh and the smaller tubes are large enough for a couple of people to walk through side by side.

Just out of curiosity what would be the polly budget for a ship this size. The additional tubes and struts pushed the current polly count well over 9000.

That looks good, just needs a few braces holding the main one and the side ones together :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

I would have hoped space engineering would have advanced in 200 years. Having a ship made out of tubes and griders..it make it look REALLY old in FS terms. Like, pre- Great War.

I like the front, I like the end and the lower tube.

The upper tube not so much, but it's OK, the frontal connector grider thingy not at all.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
[qu

Damn how the hell do you type so well when you are drunk Colonol. I had to double check everything?

Eh, where?

:confused:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Eh, where?
 :confused:

Sorry I was drunk when I posted that, it was a bad joke. It has been a while but I've seen you make a few drunken post. Those were well over a year ago though and I can't remember any specific examples.

Any way I've made more of the support arm solid and redesigned the armored plate. I'm still playing around with support struts for the smaller tubes running parallel to the main one but haven't liked anything yet.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, for the small tubes, maybe you could make little access ports or control panels on the side, or maybe locking mechanism things.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Greebles on the Hippocrates? I might have a go as well. :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png