Author Topic: Modeled Thruster Updates  (Read 7105 times)

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Re: Modeled Thruster Updates
What's wrong with lens flares used for stars? If I remember correctly old BP also used them for bomb explosions.

Lens flares for stars aren't used in the shaders and only apply to the stars afaik. BP uses a separate effect for the bomb explosions via scripting iirc.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
First off, lack of area lights is not an issue with the engine. You can get a similar effect anyways by using the glowpoint override system.
The only drawback is when you destroy an engine subsystem, the glowpoint doesn't vanish. It requires the SEXP to disable it once it is destroyed. Area lighting could solve this (since it saves FREDders and modders a lot of time), but for the moment, the engine doesn't have support for this.

What's wrong with lens flares used for stars? If I remember correctly old BP also used them for bomb explosions.

Lens flares for stars aren't used in the shaders and only apply to the stars afaik. BP uses a separate effect for the bomb explosions via scripting iirc.
I know lens flares only apply to the stars (at the moment), and this is a issue. We'd would like to expand it to include glows from ships, but care must be taken to reduce over-use of lens flare effects as seen in the 2012 Total Recall remake, whose movie universe being reused as a setting in my Shattered Stars campaign.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
The only drawback is when you destroy an engine subsystem, the glowpoint doesn't vanish. It requires the SEXP to disable it once it is destroyed. Area lighting could solve this (since it saves FREDders and modders a lot of time), but for the moment, the engine doesn't have support for this.
I can think of several ways to make this easier(LUA scripting, perhaps a flag for submodels with glowpoints that have overrides), area lights would have to be handled the same way glowpoint overrides would be, they just wouldn't have a visual object in game like glowpoints. The engine doesn't need to support area lights when it has a similar feature that is just as functional.

I know lens flares only apply to the stars (at the moment), and this is a issue. We'd would like to expand it to include glows from ships, but care must be taken to reduce over-use of lens flare effects as seen in the 2012 Total Recall remake, whose movie universe being reused as a setting in my Shattered Stars campaign.
Applying lens flares to glow maps would be next to impossible without generating and rendering the lens flares based on the space taken up by the glow maps in the view port (something UE4 is capable of), and this would be fairly destructive to performance in FreeSpace, so I don't think it's going to happen any time soon, especially since there's not even support for the OpenGL Core Profile.

Edit: This is also the wrong thread to discuss rendering features that aren't currently present in FSO. This thread is purely for modeled thruster updates and I would like to keep it as such.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I can think of several ways to make this easier(LUA scripting, perhaps a flag for submodels with glowpoints that have overrides), area lights would have to be handled the same way glowpoint overrides would be, they just wouldn't have a visual object in game like glowpoints. The engine doesn't need to support area lights when it has a similar feature that is just as functional.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
Applying lens flares to glow maps would be next to impossible without generating and rendering the lens flares based on the space taken up by the glow maps in the view port (something UE4 is capable of), and this would be fairly destructive to performance in FreeSpace, so I don't think it's going to happen any time soon, especially since there's not even support for the OpenGL Core Profile.

Edit: This is also the wrong thread to discuss rendering features that aren't currently present in FSO. This thread is purely for modeled thruster updates and I would like to keep it as such.
Fine, though I would like to say further improving performance in FreeSpace via other options to possibly enable lens flares from glowmaps/glowpoints, as well as area lighting is something that we can discuss somewhere else. Right now, I'm having problems with nightly builds when testing large-scale missions.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...