of course i know, that this is an english speaking community. But i know, that there are still some german speaking players around here, that do not visit a german speaking forum anymore, so maybe some of you are still interested in this.
For a couple of months i was working on a german translation for "Between the Ashes: Slaves of Chaos" (and "Mefistofele" of course) and i am proud to announce, that i finished this project yesterday after i finished my playthrough of this campaign with regular means, in which i fixed some last errors.
This package is now a translation of the 3.8-update.What is this Package translating?
- All missions and objectives have german text with english voice over.
- All movies have german subtitles.
- The "Mefistofele" mainhall as well the mission loading screens
- Mission names
- Technical Database
- Headlines and Editorials
- Various HUD gauges
- Names of objects in the mission itself, especially things like Waypoints
- Subsystems on ships and stations that are mission critical.What is different to the original files?
- Every event in the missions that uses a subtitle-text SEXP is using a message with tstring-id instead of an exclusive text, now.
- Hardcoded texts in files and missions were directly translated in the file itself, especially for features that were not available in retail. For example the Sectormap, Fiction Files or the additional hud gauges.
- The Battle Snails in "Mefistofele" were reactivated, because for whatever reason they did not work in the official SoC release. So you can find 4 Snails in the Demo campaign also, even they do not have an effect on the Snails you can find during "Slaves of Chaos".
- A longer kills.ani was created to fix the longer kill gauge in the german language.
- An own additional longer minegauge.ani was also created to fit the longer german text, too.
- Graphics like the mission loading screens were recreated to display the translated mission name.
- The Terminal in "The Texas Seven" got some additional eastereggs. As well some entries will also work if you use a german command.
- A corrected ships and weapons.tbl that displays the strings properly.
- Because of technical limitations with special characters that are used in the german language, this translation use the TrueTypeFonts only in the News Room and the Systemmap. This will be fixed in a future update, when this problem is solved.What is needed for this?
- FSO 3.8.0
- MediaVPs 2014
- wxlauncher 0.12.0 RC2
(Recommended)All Files are also part of my FreeSpace 2 Installer.
- Between the Ashes: Slaves of ChaosThis is also part of my Between the Ashes Installer.Download
The Translation itself:Between the Ashes: Slaves of Chaos (German)
Optional - The Movies with subtitles:Between the Ashes: Slaves of Chaos German Subtitled Movies in 480p
(306 MB)Between the Ashes: Slaves of Chaos German Subtitled Movies in 720p
(619 MB)Between the Ashes: Slaves of Chaos German Subtitled Movies in 1080p
Of course you do not have to download the english speaking movies from the original mod if you want to use the german ones. Also you need only to download the resolution you want to use.
The cutscenes are based on the better MP4-versions from the 3.8 update. They were reencoded for the subtitles with a CRF13.5 Very Slow setting, that means, that it is unlikely to see a loss in picture quality.
After 3.8.0 has left the Release Candidate, i am planning to release an All-in-One Installer, for Windows at least, that will contain all required files and programs together with the translation in one big installer package, to install and configurate everything you need.Installation
You have to extract the downloaded archives into the Freespace2-Folder. If you using the wxlauncher, you have to load "FreiRaum: Zwischen der Asche: Sklaven des Chaos" as the active mod. If you use another launcher, that uses folder names, you have to load "FreiRaum_BtA SoC" instead. With wxlauncher you can also activate Lightning Settings "Für BtA empfohlen" in the "Advanced Settings" tab with a click on "Copy selected preset to custom flags".
Because this modification uses TTF-Fonts, there is a general language change to german needed. In the "FreiRaum_BtA SoC"-folder (if you use the manual package) or in the folder "Sprachumschalter" in the FreeSpace2 folder (Installer) is a language switcher, you have to run before you start the game. Because this switcher also revert the previous settings back, before it closes, you should continue and exit it only, after you have finished with your game.Interesting linksGerman Release ThreadDevelopmentthread for my German TranslationsPage on ModDBSome impressions