Author Topic: HTL Hermes  (Read 22432 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Wow! The Space Train now looks good! :D
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I have to wonder if those details on the doors would be better on the normal map. Given the size of this thing, I think that geometry details are less effective than normal map detail.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I have to wonder if those details on the doors would be better on the normal map. Given the size of this thing, I think that geometry details are less effective than normal map detail.
I just kept them there for screen-shotting purposes, really.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'd agree. Re-extrude the door so it's flush with the hull, while leaving the gap. This can in turn be used to bake a normal map.

I will state that I'm not a fan of the over-accentuated upper docking mount. I'd personally rather see the smooth(er) original shape of the Hermes retained while the details are enhanced. Furthermore, be careful not to stray too far from the design with engine details - though the Hermes was always blocky, it did maintain the appearance that it could be shot out of something. If you break up the surface too much, you'll lose that design characteristic.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Hades

I will state that I'm not a fan of the over-accentuated upper docking mount. I'd personally rather see the smooth(er) original shape of the Hermes retained while the details are enhanced.
What. I haven't strayed in terms of smoothness from the original, and in some places, it's even smoother.

Furthermore, be careful not to stray too far from the design with engine details - though the Hermes was always blocky, it did maintain the appearance that it could be shot out of something. If you break up the surface too much, you'll lose that design characteristic.
The part you're talking about was only like that because the ship itself was low poly.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hades

I did, however, tae it into consideration and smoothed a little more. :p
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Just make sure you back your work up.  I think we've lost the last one or two attempts at a Hermes. :p

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
this looks good.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken