Author Topic: Wow...jut wow  (Read 5212 times)

I seen this game reviewed on our local television last night an bein a old school galactica fan i thought this looks cool,it just would be nice to play it...a flight sim that is so ridiculously complicated to setup and use a joystick?yeah good move...awesome,so gone are the days where you plug ya controller in...calibrate it...assign keys and it works r over?guys,whilst i appreciate ya makin this for free and all ya work but geez its gotta be workable for at least the simplest of things for a flight sim...ie-a joystick! havin to grind through forums,the internet etc to get a damn joystick to work on a flight sim?ffs,and yes ive followed all the MANY instructions,yes ive got it set as default controller,yes the game recognises it in basic settings and yes ive changed the settings in the ingame controls to this to that and back again,ive got roll ive gotr no thrust even though the settings are there...i  can turn right not left...ridiculous and back again...ill check back if ya ever get this mess sorted out.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
This is a problem with your joystick, not Diaspora. I plug in a USB stick and it works straight up.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Sounds like an issue with your stick, the engine works fine (and has for years) for all kinds of sticks.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep, we could easily reach several hundred posts if all the people who have successfully played this using a stick posted. So whether it's just your system or something up with the code, this is still not the norm.

If you want to go off and wait, I suspect your problem will never be fixed. Right now, I don't know of anyone else who has the same problem. And if we can't reproduce an error and have no more information than "It doesn't work" then the chances it will ever be fixed are close to zero.

Or you can stay, run a debug build, get us some data and maybe we can fix the problem. It's your choice.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

i have 3 other flight sims and the controller works fine,this problem is certainly not only with me as there is heaps of  posts about exactly the same thing...ive never seen a flight sim setup so complicated as per all the extra instructions and fixes that ive seen over these forums and the net,now b4 any1 starts with the oh its your system...you dont what ya doin...its ur controller,i been PC gaming for years i know my stuff,im just saying ive never had this problem b4 and ive played em all from BF2142 to Sturmovik and more  maybe the version i have is buggy but it aint my setup,maybe ill reinstall see how that goes,thanx guys.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:38:17 pm by iceman24 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Where are these posts? It helps to have more data to solve the problem. Also have you tried running the debug build? If so, post the log. Instructions on how to do that can be found here.

The simple fact is that it doesn't help to point fingers over what is to blame. It's quite possible that the Diaspora code simply doesn't like the way you have things set up on your system. So your joystick works for your games, and our code works for almost everyone else's joysticks. What's important is to figure out what is different about your setup to make Diaspora not work with it.

you most make an update

Hate to be that guy but you've seen the joystick part of Diaspora launcher right?

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]

Offline Aether

@razorbs62: He mentioned that it worked in Basic settings in his first post briefly so I presume he's seen it :)

@KaraJorma: FYI, I have an ancient joystick (Microsoft Sidewinder) and it works almost perfectly! I say almost simply because the throttle doesn't seem to work but seeing as I've never made any concious effort at all to rectify the problem I won't say that this is an issue for the Diaspora team. I most likely just need to calibrate it further. It's not a hardware problem (the computer recognises when it moves) so I'll look into it later and get back to all of you on it.

@Iceman24: As LordPomposity suggested already, it might be a good idea to download patch 1.0.2 to be sure. Also, can I ask if you downloaded the software from this site? If you did then you couldn't have gotten a buggy version because they're all the same version. I understand that you're frustrated, but if you just co-operate with KaraJorma by answering all his questions then he'll do his best to make the game workable for you. He's not making a profit off of providing tech help to people, he just wants people to enjoy the game that they spent years building. Hope you get it up and running :)

So say we all!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I suspect your throttle issue is simply this one.

Look guys,like i said i appreciate all the work that goes in to these games ,i searched about joysticks not getting recognised in game forums and there were quite a few posts like mine in these forums and there were fixes and tips and such to follow in setup which i have done,no one likes criticism but im just stating my problem and it was damn frustrating,my joystick works fine...its calibrated fine...its updated...my PC is well able to handle this game and i downloaded the game and the 1.2 patch from here,everything seems to be there but when i assign thrust control to the joystick it wont recognise it...ive got X and Y axis assigned and all i get is twist control meaning i roll left and right and thats it,no up no down no turn and followed the instructions in your known issue section...rx axis etc,ive cleared the mouse controls leaving only joystick controls used the default settings and back again,why wont it at least turn?...  and thanx Karajorma but ive already done that throttle fix as someone already put that as a fix elsewhere in this forum but thankyou anyway.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:09:42 am by iceman24 »

What joystick are you using?
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Logitiech extreme 3D pro

That's the joystick I use so I think we just need to figure this out.

First, if you are using the profile software that came with the stick, you should download the new version HERE.

You say the twist axis works but nothing else?  That's strange because I was unable to get the twist to work. I had to assign it in the profiler software. In fact that's the only thing I have mapped out in the profiler. The rest is set up in the game's control config under Options.

I don't know why your stick isn't showing up, maybe you could take some screenshots of your settings so we could take a look.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's also the stick I use but since I moved a few weeks back, it's been in its box. I'll break it out and test it in a bit. It definitely worked before I moved though.

Hey thanx 4 the download link rscaper,it didnt do anything but thankyou anyway,its like i can only get 1 steering operation out of the joystick but i did get the thrusters assigned ok,the only way to describe it is i have all the axis assigned...x axis pitch,y axis bank,rz axis,throttle assigned,i only get 1 action,i either yaw and no turn or turn and no yaw and it never pitches and ive experimented with the axis in all configs,hence my frustration and wonderment lol,dont worry bout it too much didnt cost me anything,game looks cool though and you guys have been very helpful so thanks for that,sorry for comin out blazin but i was gettin so p#ssed off.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
In this post I asked for a debug log. That may help us a lot.

Offline Aether

@iceman24: Thing about the yaw-no turn/turn-no yaw thing is: I don't think you can actually have both assigned at the same time(?)  :confused:

If you're used to normal flight sims it might be best to just have yaw on so you can fly like a normal plane. If you're used to space sims then maybe have the turn activated.

Me, personally, I use the turn option because I only ever really need to "straighten out" (use yaw) when I'm coming in for landings and I just use the keyboard (the numpad buttons 7 and 9, I think) for that anyway so it's handier. It's less stressful for me too because in combat you kinda wanna be turning in different directions a lot and with yaw enabled then you have to pull back on the stick every time to make a turn which kinda wastes precious split-seconds. This is in contrast to landings where, if the difficulty is set to normal, you can pretty much land the ship upside down :lol:

I'm not positive about the "can't have both assigned at the same time" thing but if I am then I hope my little blurb helped a little :)

@KaraJorma: Thanks! Simple solution too ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:50:25 am by Aether »
So say we all!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
@iceman24: Thing about the yaw-no turn/turn-no yaw thing is: I don't think you can actually have both assigned at the same time(?)  :confused:

No. If your joystick has enough axes available, you can definitely have all main control axes bound to separate axis movements at the same time. And you definitely SHOULD. Pitch, roll, and yaw are all important.

If you're used to normal flight sims it might be best to just have yaw on so you can fly like a normal plane. If you're used to space sims then maybe have the turn activated.

Normal fixed-wing aircraft use primarily roll (ailerons) and pitch (elevator) to maneuver. The yaw (rudder) is used to coordinate turns so that the aircraft flies through the air with as little slip angle as possible, or conversely to increase the slip angle to slow down the aircraft by increasing the drag. Rudder is also important in recovering from abnormal flight envelopes such as spins.

In this light it seems odd that you would suggest someone used to flight simulators to use yaw instead of roll. However, there's a pretty big difference in intuitive flight controls when you're in an aircraft, versus floating in space where your attitude doesn't really affect things like direction of airflow, amount of lift or such stuff that is vital for aircraft.

Interestingly, I have had some control issues where my intuitive control wirings in my brain switch between aircraft/FreeSpace style of control, and I haven't been able to figure out whether I prefer having roll axis on Joystick X axis, and yaw axis on Twist Handle, or vice versa. It seems that when I'm fighting, I sort of prefer the latter (FreeSpace style bindings) while when I'm landing on the Theseus, my brain switch into aircraft mode. I think it's because the visual reference has some analogies to landing on a carrier, which I've always done in an atmospheric aircraft.

@iceman24: My personal experience with Logitech sticks is that they are atrocious pieces of hardware and the software is not much better. I would not be greatly surprised if Logitech had decided to derp around with either the driver software or even the hardware itself, making some sticks different from others, or work a bit differently, which could cause some sticks to work differently with FSO.

However, it feels more as though there is something simple that is either being overlooked or done wrong.

Do you have any additional game controllers (virtual or real) on the computer?

Can you describe the process with which you try to bind the axes to the controls, and perhaps show a screenshot of your controls configuration menu in the game? There is a history of the binding method being somewhat unintuitive since many people in the past have had problems getting it working.

Also, the debug log will definitely show what the game is looking at for control inputs. I think it's clear your game is reading the joystick somehow, since you get some inputs, but the debug log will show it for sure.

If nothing else works, there's still something you might try: Completely removing the Logitech joystick driver, and using Windows' own default HID driver.

I've found that sometimes Windows' own driver seems to work better for sticks like this than any drivers that the manufacturer likes to throw at you. For example, you get the ability to manually calibrate the joystick and to actually confirm that it IS calibrated.

The downside is of course that the profiler won't work, but I don't think that's a critical feature for Extreme 3D Pro (it's a really simple stick). However you can always re-install the joystick drivers and/or profiler software.

Good luck.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

I have a xbox contoller and the joystick and i unplug the controller when using the joystick...thats it,and thanks for all the tips and i do totally agree with you Herra,you do need all controls for a flight sim experience,about the binding process all i do is select the control...click bind then assign the joystick movement and the game recognises it but in game it doesnt work except for the one movement,the most confusing thing is it does recognise pitch axis but ingame...nothing...i followed the debug link but having never done this b4 i cant find that pawprint thing where to start the process (yes i have no idea,feel free to laugh now,lol)my old logitech has served me well through many a battle but ill try removing the driver and give it another go,which key for a screeny?thanx guys.