Author Topic: MacOS - crashing on startup  (Read 1788 times)

Offline nirurin

MacOS - crashing on startup
Hey guys
I recently learned about this game, and last night I decided to install the HD updates for freespace2 (i knows thats unecessary for this game) as well as the Diaspora install.

Installed freespace and the current FS_open build, as well as all the high def VPs etc, and it all works fine. Using the wxlauncher that I got with the files, freespace loads up as it should and plays fine.

Installed Diaspora, and I find a problem.

Whenever I hit "Play" in the wxlauncher, the screen flashes white for a moment (obviously its the window trying to launch), but then immediately disappears. This flash is literally a split second, so clearly something is causing a crash immediately.

After a lot of experimentation, as well as reinstalling files, I did manage to get the game to run by changing the resolution to 1024x768. This was the only resolution in which the game would run.

HOWEVER I then attempted to try launching the game, using the freespace2 wxlauncher instead of the one that came packaged with Diaspora. I selected the diaspora folder and activaed the mod, and ran it... and it ran at a different resolution (I cant remember what it was, 1600x900 I think).

Move on a day, and I decided to try and play Diaspora again, with a proper session instead of just the tutorials which is all I did yesterday.

BUT. The problem is back. And this time, the game crashes out on every resolution, and in both wxlaunchers. It no longer even runs at 1024x768.

So yeh, anyone got any ideas? Is the current builds of all software, on the current version of OSX.

EDIT:
Interestingly, if I start the game as either of the Debug versions, it works properly. But it doesnt work under the normal non-debug versions.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:36:13 am by nirurin »

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Re: MacOS - crashing on startup
Even if the game doesn't crash with debug builds, a log would still be useful. Therefore:

Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Offline nirurin

Ok I have attached the FS2_open.log file.

I played the first 2 levels using the debug mode, but then the came crashed to desktop with the same mac error message (just the standard bug report to apple one). I dont know if it did this for the same reasons or not.

Seems the game will run some (but not all) resolutions in the debug modes, but I no longer seem to be able to get it to work on any resolution in normal modes. Just does the "FS2 quit unexpectedly" error message.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Thanks for the log.

I'm not that proficient in reading debug logs, and it's good that you aren't using Intel integrated graphics, but some thoughts offhand:

(1) Have you patched Diaspora?

(2) What version of OS X are you using? It's presumably recent if your video card is a GTX 780M.

(3) As I remember, more recent versions of the FS2 Open engine are compatible with Diaspora. They might include fixes that would be helpful. Try the most recent stable version 3.7.0 or if that doesn't work, a recent nightly build. You'll need to select the build (executable) in the launcher's Basic Settings tab.

(4) You'll still need to use the launcher that's included with Diaspora and ensure that the Diaspora launcher profile is selected on the launcher's Welcome tab. After you patch Diaspora, the launcher profile you want is called Diaspora104 or something like that. Launcher profiles are unrelated to the in-game pilots, by the way. When you use that profile, you'll still need to select the FS2 Open executable you want to use, as noted in (3) above.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Added (4).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 04:30:26 am by jg18 »

Offline Echelon9

Ok I have attached the FS2_open.log file.

Code: [Select]
ASSERTION: "team != -1" at object.cpp:1841

This is fixed by either patching to the latest Diaspora or using an FS2Open 3.7.0 final or nightly build. It is a bug that was subsequently fixed in the codebase.