Author Topic: Help!!  (Read 4419 times)

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I have been trying to run Diaspora on a new laptop but I kept getting strange clipping artifacting going on that made playing impossible! Now when I try to run it my computer justs hangs when I try to go to the briefing. I have attched my debug log. Anyone know what is going on here?

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What do you mean by "clipping artefacting"? Can you get a screenshot of it?

Also, I see that you're using the "-ati_swap" commandline switch, you really do not need it (it was a compatibility hack for really really old ATI chips).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
I can't get a screenshot now as it no longer runs. It just hangs and then crashes. I picked the ATI swap switch as I am using an AMD Radeon HD8180 and figured it may help.

It seems to work now when I choose the non debug build but I still get the graphical errors but I can't seem to capture a screenshot. When I press the windows key and the prt scr button I get the windows behind the game, not the the game itself?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:01:00 pm by Wobble73 »

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If you're running fullscreen, press "Prt Scr" in game and a screenshot should be created in Diaspora/screenshots (or maybe Diaspora/data/screenshots, I'm on Linux so this is from memory). It'll be called screenXXXX.tga.

If you're using Windows 7 and running in a window there's a neat snipping tool that should also work.  Search for "snip" in the start menu.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
I have tried that and it doesn't seem to work. I am on Windows 8 64bit btw.

EDIT
I have managed to take some screenshots using the "Run in Window" flag, please see attached.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:47:52 am by Wobble73 »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Try also removing the -img2dds command line flag. It affects texture compression and you shouldn't need it.
You could probably also remove -noenv, your video card should be powerful enough to handle environment mapping.
For Diaspora, the radar is the DRADIS so -orbradar won't have any effect and can probably be removed.

Lastly, you should grab the Diaspora 1.1.1 patch to fix an issue with the last mission in the campaign.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
I have tried those with still no effect? I have a feeling that my catalyst drivers are to blame, yet I can play BP WiH with no problems? My Windows 8 won't upgrade to 8.1 and updates fail and revert. It's something to do with the registry I believe but hacking that seems very complicated?

Also my Windows is preventing the patch 1.1.1 to run??

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hmm. Are your Cataylst drivers up to date?  Also, are you running a "BP build" or the executable that came with 1.1.1? The fact that BP runs fine but Diaspora doesn't is quite odd...
----
----

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Still haven't found a solution to this, I have no upgraded to Windows 8.1 and checked my Catalyst drivers are up to date. I am still getting the same effects no matter what graphics options I choose!

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Bump, does no-one have a solution for me?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Run the patch  in administrative mode. If that doesn't work, re-download the patch and try in admin mode  again.

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
The patch has been applied now, but it still gives me a bad view. It's like it is clipping or something but there is nohing to clip with?

Edit  here is the latest debug log

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:08:14 am by Wobble73 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm, disable desktop composition in the compatibility settings for the fso exe?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Also try removing these command line options - from the thread I think you've tried with some of them off, but I'm not 100% sure you've tried with all of them off.  Some of these have been known to cause issues for certain configurations rather than solve them!

Code: [Select]
  -img2dds
  -mipmap
  -ati_swap

If it still has the clipping issue with them off, create & post a new log, and some more screenshots (since the last ones have been eaten, try uploading them to somewhere like http://imgur.com/ and then link to them, that way they won't be deleted so quickly.
----
----

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Now it won't even play?  It exits with an error stating "Freespace 2 exited with a status of -805306369"?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That certainly is odd... so... log log log :)
----
----

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Here is my latest debug log.

Advanced settings tab on the launcher now states "Waiting for flaf file to begenerated and parsed"?

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You've still got -img2dds in your cmdline parameters.

Also, what happens if you run the FSO executable directly, i.e. not from the launcher?
----
----

Offline Wobble73

• Steam
Ho do I remove -img2dds from my command line? I assume it is due to some setting being selected in the launcher, but I don't know which one it is related to? Also, I will have to check running from the executable when I return to my home computer, (at work at the moment on my lunch hour).

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Ah, took me a little while to find that; it's "Compress non-compressed images"
----
----