Author Topic: Sekr Must be Destroyed  (Read 3876 times)

Offline FIZ

Sekr Must be Destroyed
Was watching Icarus cuz I like the song.

Sekr is such a great foil to the Wargods.  Imagine being GTVA, the best of the best out of OCS, assigned to THE shock group.  Countless simulations against Sathanas, Ravana, and Lucifer deployments.  Probably Colossus and Hades runs for experience.   Now your first combat assignment:  assist in the pacification of a hostile Earth.  What must they be thinking?  Sure you fall back on your training and follow orders, but WOW, what a mind****.

Continuing speculation, the only time Sekr seems to be deployed is as a group or assisting a destroyer.  You think Sekr (at least one of them) is going to be destroyed at a false boot at a destroyer?  If a Sekr quality Chimera or the Marcus Glaive is taken out in an over extension strike, what a prospect!  Of course, I remember that was attempted in Collateral Damage, but for such AI upgrades, I think the UEF got the short end of the stick in that mission and had to face them in unfavorable conditions. :drevil:

Offline -Norbert-

Re: Sekr Must be Destroyed
The problem is that Steele is fully aware of both their military and psychological value, so he'll keep them well guarded. It'll be tough to lure them into a trap without losing more than the UEF can afford to lose in the process or the Fedayeen would have done it already.

Odds are fairly good that one of the forthcoming War in Heaven acts will feature a mission or series of missions dedicated to taking Serkr team down. Or, if the Act III ending is any indication...

Spoiler:
...possibly incorporating them into the armada Ken is so insistent that Laporte will need.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I thought this was going to be a thread about how Serkr was responsible for the creation of the GD and the Vishnans and that they had to be destroyed to save the universe from fractals

I am disappointed

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
It is pretty obvious we shall all unite under one banner and have an epic battle against the Vishnan fleet. Then, as Laporte crosses the trans-abyssal gate yadda yadda yadda, mass effect three reference.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
no, i meant like

a serkret ending

where like, the REAL ending is that serkr is responsible for everything that ever happened and has been manipulating things from behind the scenes like the time-traveling fedayeen

and you have to go back and fight serkr and stop their manipulativeness nonsense once and for all

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
no, i meant like

a serkret ending

where like, the REAL ending is that serkr is responsible for everything that ever happened and has been manipulating things from behind the scenes like the time-traveling fedayeen

and you have to go back and fight serkr and stop their manipulativeness nonsense once and for all
You forgot the part where Laporte is a bagel.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

tunica delenda est
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline qwadtep

The cliche would for Serkr to never be an ally, per se, but to be destroyed fighting a common enemy nonetheless.

Offline -Sara-

I'd want to see someone plough the Indus down their lead ship, in a climatic "taking 'em down to hell with us" scene. The blast may cause enough debris to spread to prevent subspace travel, with Sekr panicking and disregarding Steele's unorthodox tactics. Firing in a panicked, now-or-never frenzy, they may end up taking out their own fighterscreen, ironically opening themselves up to a bomber execution squad. It'd add drama if Simms is the XO or CO of a repaired Indus, but losing her after all this would be sad also. I'd personally prefer the drama of Simms becoming an antagonist after Noemi makes an omni-scient choice which may pit her against (part) of the UEF: it'd surely add to the being misunderstood and being all alone feeling.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Serkr panicking because of Steele's unconventional tactics sounds blatantly out of character for just about anyone in Steele's battlegroup, let alone the creme de la creme.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I suspect we'll see some sort of heroic humanization out of Serkr if and when they go down. "Stay out of that fire pocket"

Offline CT27

Serkr panicking because of Steele's unconventional tactics sounds blatantly out of character for just about anyone in Steele's battlegroup, let alone the creme de la creme.

Lopez cracked and she was under Steele's authority.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Lopez cracked and she was under Steele's authority.

She did not panic.  Her crews did not panic.  She disobeyed a direct order in the interest of saving her crews' lives.  That is fully in line with her character.

Serkr team panicking and obliterating their own fighter screen with frenzied, unaimed beam fire is the sort of **** I'd expect to see in an academy first year simulation, not in what are arguably the elite ships in the entire Sol theater.

Offline -Norbert-

They might obliterate the rookies within their fighter-screen if said rookies are stupid enough to get between them and their target, but I doubt that Steele would assign any rookies to guard his number one shock-and-awe formation.

Offline Luis Dias

I suspect we'll see some sort of heroic humanization out of Serkr if and when they go down. "Stay out of that fire pocket"

This. Seeing your former enemy dying for the sake of humanity alongside you would be really emotional.

Offline -Norbert-

If you mean something along the lines of "God damn you Shivans! I was supposed to be the one to blow them up!" then yes, very emotional indeed. :P

Joking aside I hope we as the player get to blow up at least one of the three corvettes before they heroically sacrifice themselves against the Shivans or Vishnans if it happens.

If you mean something along the lines of "God damn you Shivans! I was supposed to be the one to blow them up!" then yes, very emotional indeed. :P

Joking aside I hope we as the player get to blow up at least one of the three corvettes before they heroically sacrifice themselves against the Shivans or Vishnans if it happens.

Agreed. I'd love to take down at least one of them as payback for the ranvir (not to mention all the other frigates/ships serkr team must've destroyed during the rest of the war)