Author Topic: Looking for a capable Windows 7 gaming laptop  (Read 3098 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Looking for a capable Windows 7 gaming laptop
Hey all!

So! Down to business. I'm trying to find a Windows 7 laptop that's at least moderately capable at gaming. I don't have to run, say, Battlefield at 60 FPS on highest settings. Crisp gameplay on low or medium settings is satisfactory. Here's what I'd like, in brief:

Windows 7

Dedicated graphics (or much better integrated graphics than my current Radeon R4)

A 500 GB or greater HDD or a 100 GB or greater SSD

6-8 GB of RAM

Manufactured 2014 or more recently, although that isn't a major sticking point, I'd just like it to last for a few years

This search has me mostly stumped. I understand that my requirements are kind of restrictive. Not sure if anyone out here has any ideas?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a specific listing. I'm looking for a model of laptop that I can search for on my own.

Thanks a bunch. :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:19:20 pm by PVD_Hope »

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: Looking for a capable Windows 7 gaming laptop
It is unlikely you will find a new laptop that still ships with Windows 7, nor is it a good idea to buy a laptop that ships with 7 as its life cycle is ending and it contains several security flaws that are both unpatched and unpatch-able (and no, you don't want to intentionally buy a 7 license and downgrade either).

That aside, there are many laptops now that are more than capable when it comes to gaming.  What country are you in, and what's your ideal price point?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline HLD_Prophecy

It is unlikely you will find a new laptop that still ships with Windows 7, nor is it a good idea to buy a laptop that ships with 7 as its life cycle is ending and it contains several security flaws that are both unpatched and unpatch-able (and no, you don't want to intentionally buy a 7 license and downgrade either).

That aside, there are many laptops now that are more than capable when it comes to gaming.  What country are you in, and what's your ideal price point?

Thanks for the response!

With respect, In my case, I disagree that Windows 7 is a bad idea. Other people's needs might differ, but I'm used to the layout of 7 and I prefer it greatly to 10. I also don't appreciate the sort-of-constant-development state of 10. I use legacy software and games that, so I've heard, don't run on 10. But my motives aren't the point here.

I certainly didn't expect to get a new laptop with Windows 7. I'm thinking used/refurbished here. 2014, I think, was the last year that any laptops were still shipping with 7.

As for where I am and what my budget is, I'm sorry that I didn't get to updating the above post earlier. I'm not looking for a specific listing, just a laptop model that I can search for listings for on my own.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:25:27 pm by PVD_Hope »

Is there any reason not to just buy a Windows 10 laptop and install Windows 7 over it?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Is there any reason not to just buy a Windows 10 laptop and install Windows 7 over it?

As I understand it, downgrading is a pretty unreliable solution. I think it only works sometimes, and in any case I'd rather not buy both a laptop and a 100-something dollar new copy of Windows 7. But thanks for the thought. :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Format the drive and install windows 7 from a clean slate?
Most laptops you buy nowadays come with plenty of bloatware to begin with so it seems like a good option to do that anyway
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Refurbished laptops differ greatly in price or availability; it'll be near impossible to recommend you a model.  Also, its quite likely you'd spend more than you need to versus a new-but-last-years-model.  MSI makes some pretty decent budget-gaming laptops (Core i7, GTX 950M or better) that clock in around the $1000 CAD mark +/- $100.  Other manufacturers may clock in higher or lower depending on your country.

In terms of OS choice, I strongly encourage any newly-built or setup system to stop using 7 as a primary OS.  There are very few pieces of legacy software that will run on 7 but not 10, and a VM (or dual-boot) can take care of that issue.  It's not an issue for a properly-configured pre-existing system as much, but no matter where you get a laptop these days you will almost certainly want to reformat it before use.  The UI differences between 7 and 10 are trivial, and the security/performance of 10, not to mention chipset support, exceeds that of 7.  7 was a great OS, and still is on older systems, but there is literally no reason to put it on a computer built in the last 3-4 years if you have the option of 10.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Bruh, he already said he just wants W7, he has his reasons, give it a rest.

A note on MSI laptops, they tend to have pretty bad batteries. Speaking from experience. Outside of the battery, MSI is pretty good.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Bruh, he already said he just wants W7, he has his reasons, give it a rest.

With no offense intended to PVD_Hope individually, most of the reasons I've seen cited for intentionally going backward on OS' are based in misinformation, misunderstanding, or misconceptions, and - speaking from experience many years ago - making purchasing computer decisions without all the facts at hand is something people regularly regret.  Ultimately he will do whatever he wants, but there is nothing wrong with educating / encouraging people to seek out more information.  So back off  :p

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Older games/programs not running on a newer OS is a legitimate concern. Again, speaking from experience when going from XP to 7.

"Hey, I'm looking for a windows 7 laptop."
"You should get windows 10 instead!"
"No thanks, I have my reasons for specificially wanting windows 7."
"Okay, but you should really get windows 10 instead!"
"He doesn't want windows 10."
"I am just educating the ignorant!"
You back off  :p
Urutorahappī!!

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Oh boy, a fight I never intended. Where's the popcorn? :P

Thanks, Spoon. MP-Ryan, I appreciate that you're trying to keep me informed. I understand that you don't mean offense. I might do some more research before settling for Windows 7. Still, for the moment, I'd like help with this.

Again, guys, just to make two things clear:

1. Price and Availability are not a question here. I'm looking for model ideas. If it turns out that most of the ideas I get aren't available or are way out of my range, that's on me.

Maybe I should have just stated it before, but I'm not ready to buy yet. I'm thinking about buying later, in the Summer or suchlike. So I've got plenty of time for thought on this issue, and listings that anyone finds now are likely to be gone by that time.

2. I definitely do not want to take a laptop with Windows 8 or 10 and downgrade to Windows 7. Even if I thought that downgrading was stable or reliable, I'd rather not buy both a laptop and a legit copy of Windows 7. I'd like a laptop from 2014 or a little older that comes with Windows 7 stock equipped.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
There is this dutch site I use to get an idea on where to get hardware. Now I assume you probably don't speak a word of dutch, but if you are trying to orient yourself for just models, then it could still come in really handy. I wish I knew an english equiv for it but alas. But it should probably still be pretty navigational regardless (google translate might be able to help too).

Tweakers.net

For example this is laptops sorted on Windows 7, no Azerty keyboard layout, no Intel HD graphics and 6gb ram minimum. And there are plenty of other filters you can turn on or off.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Older games/programs not running on a newer OS is a legitimate concern. Again, speaking from experience when going from XP to 7.

It's like you either didn't read or just ignored the entire post where I addressed those issue.  If we each keep saying back off we're both backing right into oceans eventually ;)

ANYWAY.

Hope, you're basically not going to find "new" Windows 7 laptops; you will DEFINITELY need to wipe them (and not a Windows wipe, a full-disk wipe).  Taking a quick jaunt through Amazon I see there are a number of listing for laptops running Windows 7, but not a lot that I'd consider gaming-capable from what I'd call clearly reputable sellers (there are still a surprising number of listings for non-gaming-capable Windows 7 laptops, but again, some of the sellers would make me nervous).  NewEgg doesn't look like it lists any systems with Windows 7, period, and the other retailers I'd check [in Canada] certainly don't.  The problem with your request is that you're basically looking at the used market.  Few sites and fewer people keep a running tally of laptop models from as far back as three years ago to be able to tell you a specific model you should look for.  You're going to have to hunt through resale sites for available machines that meet your requirements when you're actually ready to buy - and its going to be really questionable if you'll find an actual gaming laptop listed there.  You'd probably have more luck in a local or semi-local classifieds ad or on a site like eBay.    The other issue you're going to run into is that most laptops, gaming or otherwise, are designed for a 36 - 60 month lifespan.  Many/most will last longer than that, but as laptops are essentially un-upgradeable (practically and cost-effectively, anyway), you're still going to end up paying a lot of money for technology that is aging and components that are wearing (especially batteries).

You could try some Google searches for "best gaming laptops" or something of the like narrowed to a particular date range and hopefully pick up something from a a decent review site like TechSpot, ArsTechnica, or Tom's Hardware which might give you some model information, but in terms of actually tracking something like that down?  Good luck.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, finding a factory-sealed Laptop that comes with W7 preinstalled is basically a non-starter at this point, barring the odd sale on ebay or so.

Even if we could find the perfect machine for you now, chances are that by the time you're actually planning to buy it, it's not going to be available. In this particular case, your best option is to buy both the Laptop and a Win 7 license separately. You're going to have to nuke the system that's on there regardless, just to get rid of all the crapware.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
What's wrong with getting Win 10 and modding it so it looks and behaves like Win 7, except being faster, more reliable, and more secure?
https://www.ntlite.com/features/

Granted, it would take some doing, but I'm sure you could find some help on their forums to get what you wanted out of it.
https://www.ntlite.com/discussions/#/categories

Offline HLD_Prophecy

There is this dutch site I use to get an idea on where to get hardware. Now I assume you probably don't speak a word of dutch, but if you are trying to orient yourself for just models, then it could still come in really handy. I wish I knew an english equiv for it but alas. But it should probably still be pretty navigational regardless (google translate might be able to help too).

Tweakers.net

For example this is laptops sorted on Windows 7, no Azerty keyboard layout, no Intel HD graphics and 6gb ram minimum. And there are plenty of other filters you can turn on or off.

Hey, thanks a bunch! I am Dutch, I just can't read it. :P I'll get google to give me a passable translation.

EDIT: I checked this out, and it gave me a whole bunch of ideas. Thanks a ton, Spoon!  :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:33:40 am by PVD_Hope »

Offline HLD_Prophecy

The problem with your request is that you're basically looking at the used market.

You'd probably have more luck in a local or semi-local classifieds ad or on a site like eBay.

Yes, I'm totally aware that I'm looking at the used market. I like to save money by buying things used/refurbished/older.

eBay is my go-to site for online technology shopping, BTW. First place I look.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Yeah, finding a factory-sealed Laptop that comes with W7 preinstalled is basically a non-starter at this point, barring the odd sale on ebay or so.

Even if we could find the perfect machine for you now, chances are that by the time you're actually planning to buy it, it's not going to be available. In this particular case, your best option is to buy both the Laptop and a Win 7 license separately. You're going to have to nuke the system that's on there regardless, just to get rid of all the crapware.

My intention was to look for laptops that have been properly refurbished, or at least had the system nuked and reinstalled, by the seller. Responsible sellers do that. I'm not going to take it for granted that it's been done.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hey, thanks a bunch! I am Dutch, I just can't read it. :P I'll get google to give me a passable translation.

EDIT: I checked this out, and it gave me a whole bunch of ideas. Thanks a ton, Spoon!  :D
Glad it was of use  :)
Urutorahappī!!