Author Topic: Mind if i ,,steal" something  (Read 8131 times)

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
Re: Mind if i ,,steal" something
Well,as i said it is going to four acts,each with its own campaign part and few single missions,when fourth one is done,i'll combine them all into one single campaign with around 100 missions.If anyone played my Conflict Zone,he/she knows my basic mission design,now,FD is way more advanced,meaning that missions will be way better.
The current work list is:
1.FD act 1
2.Shadow of the Colossus(NTF rebellion)
3.Liberation wars(The Battle of Ikeya,before and after)
4.FD Act 2
2 and 3 are planned to be small campaigns which should be done quickly,and will give me some time to relax after a huge project,especially because SotC will use only slightly modified CZ table with no new ships or weapons.
After second FD Act:
5.Unnamed comedy(Reconstruction)
6.New Horizons(T-V war)
7.FD Act 3
Again,5 and 6 will be small campaigns before the next act.
And by 2017th Final Destination Final Fight should be released,unless something happens in real life.                         
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Dude, when we started War in Heaven, a measly 30 mission campaign, we thought we'd be done with it 2 years ago, I think? There's a reason why we do not recommend to start off with massively ambitious megaprojects.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
For the last year,i haven't been very active,but still it is half done,and now i should be able to spend more time FREDing so it should be completed soon.

Offline Haji

Having a 100 mission campaign as a first project is the way to failure, frustration and quitting.

To add to the above statement, Procyon Insurgency which is considered one of the best mods out there, had (supposedly, don't remember where I read it) testing period consisting of no less than fifty playthroughs. For each mission. Assuming ten minutes per mission, that's one hundred and ten hours just to test the thirteen mission campaign. For your campaign that would add to over eight hundred hours (thirty five days of continuous play).

Or let's look at another example. Blue Planet is one of the best, most polished mods out there, but it's still full of things the devs simply did not anticipate or didn't think about. For example, in one mission it's possible to save a certain ship (Vilnius), many people have done it, but the game never acknowledges it and plays as if the ship was destroyed. In another mission I managed to disable a corvette that was supposed to jump out, which made the vessel invulnerable and ended up breaking pathing of an allied ship, making me fail a mission. And that's in a mod that currently has thirty or so missions and has been in development for years. By a whole team of people no less.

I'm not saying what you're attempting is impossible, but if you have only yourself to test the game it's very likely the players will end up breaking up missions by doing things you never thought of by yourself. That's why testing is usually done my multiple people, some of which are even brought outside of the dev team.

And I'm not even addressing the fact that using retail assets (both the retail exe and retail-grade assets) will certainly not help to get people to play your mod.

It may not make people play your mod at the beginning, but I wouldn't worry about that in the long run. If the mod itself is good, people will play it, even if it uses retail-grade assets. I don't know about other people, but The Derelict is one of my favorite mods despite it's age.

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
Well,like in CZ,i heavily use SEXPs for ships destruction,and for the first act,player won't have anything stronger than a Prometheus,which is one of the weaker guns,kinda like the Avenger is in FS1.Further all ships have more hitpoints,meaning that disabling a Rakshasa will be way harder then before,same applies to all other ships.

a Prometheus,which is one of the weaker guns,kinda like the Avenger is in FS1.
Purists will point out that the Avenger actually is one of the best gun in the in the  original game, just underneath the Prometheus itself in terms of sustained hull damage, but faring better vs shields while being more energy efficient. But I get your point ;)

Further all ships have more hitpoints,meaning that disabling a Rakshasa will be way harder then before,same applies to all other ships.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. I feel that nowadays the old ships really can use increased thoughness, be it through raw hitpoints or armor types.

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
Well,i never really prefered avenger to prometheus,as soon as i got prom,banshee and herc,combination of them was everything i used.