Author Topic: 3.6.18 Multiplayer Setup, Schedule, and other Info V0.9 CURRENT AS OF Aug 19TH  (Read 143990 times)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
3.6.18 Multiplayer Setup, Schedule, and other Info V0.9 CURRENT AS OF Aug 19TH
Bulletin!: Get FreeSpace Open 3.6.18 Final Inferno, Older builds are obsolete!

FreeSpace 2 Multiplayer

Welcome! You've come to the right place for any and all info regarding playing multiplayer on any FreeSpace Open game, Including The Babylon Project, FreeSpace Port, Diaspora and others. A few things to keep in mind before posting a new thread (partially stolen from a certain Sith):

• Read the below posts to see if your query is addressed.
  • Search the forum for other threads on your problem. The search box works now.
  • This board is NOT for general FSO support, this is the Multiplayer Board. Ask on the Support Board for general questions.
  • If your question isn't addressed below, MSN isn't a viable option. Try our friendly full-time staff on the HLP IRC channel. Click here, select a name, and go ask. Look for your solution here first.

Categories:

Getting Ready - Setting up FreeSpace Open Multiplayer will take about 10 minutes, read here to find out how.
Schedule/Let's Play! - A schedule of weekly multiplayer games plus what to do if you want to get one going ad spontaneum.
Tips and Extras - Dedicated to gaming tips as well as info about other topics, Ventrillo, the (currently obsolete) Game Viewer, stuff that won't fit anywhere else.
Troubleshooting/Support - Having trouble? Can't find an answer? Found a bug? Go here.
Standalone Servers - How to set up your own dedicated standalone (no host input required) server. Have an old PC around? Put it to good use!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:40:11 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Getting Ready

So you want to become an ace, do you? Get ready for lots of fun.

There are only a few steps to joining your first game, and you only have to set up once.

Step 1
Registering

Your old PXO account won't work anymore, you need to register an FS2Net account to play. Register here. Once you've registered, click the link in the activation email to activate your account. *Note please use lowercase only for username as there may be a problem.  We are investigating. 

Step 2
Making sure your client is in a position to play multi 'validly'.

Firstly, multi is an environment where the clients, and host have to be somewhat in sync, if they're not all sorts of funny things can happen.
3.6.12MVPs are currently validated with the updates, although this may change, either they, or no mods, should be used if you wish to earn medals, ranks or work well with the other people playing multi.
Many people miss this patch; http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/Downloads/HotUv1.20Pack.rar this is basically a retail-released patch by volition that's required for multi validation whether you're using the MVPs or not.
Also, it is of great importance that you have a clean FreeSpace 2, install.

Step 3
The Files

You need the multiplayer mission pack and optionally the voice pack, download them. Put them in /FreeSpace2 (your main directory). Next get FreeSpace Open 3.6.18 Inferno Final and the Launcher 5.5g. Extract these files from the .ZIP archives and put these in your main FreeSpace 2 directory as well. Open up the launcher and select the fs2_open_3_6_16.exe or similar version you just downloaded (Click "Browse"):

Alternatively, check the Nightlies forum,

Step 4
(Optional) Forwarding Your Ports

In order to host a game (and only to host), you need to forward ports 7808 and 7117 (TCP and UDP) on your router or firewall. You need an exception for FSO in your firewall (the .EXE and not the Launcher). This can be done in the router configuration page, the address should be 192.168.x.x. Your firewall should have a page for exception settings.

Step 5
The Launcher

Open the Launcher now (make sure that you have 5.5f), and open the "Network" tab. It should look like this:

Make sure that you select your connection speed and such, but DO NOT TOUCH THE BOTTOM BOXES! Make sure that you have no MODs selected under the mod tab (unless you know what you're doing) and don't check any boxes under Multiplayer on the Features tab.

Press "Apply" and then "Run", and you're almost there!

Step 6
Ingame Settings

Once you've opened up the game, create a multiplayer pilot:

Press enter once you type in the name and go to the options screen:

Change the stuff to match that in the boxes, it should already match the rest of the page.
The only thing that should be altered, is if you are a client on a host who doesn't have a fast connection (read; 1.5-2mbit up+), is that your object update should be set to medium or low instead.
Hosts, should always be set to high.

Step 7
Playing a Game

Now you're ready to play! Remember that games are not always on, there aren't going to be people online at every hour of the day, go see if anyone on IRC wants to play.

Click on the big red door in the middle of the screen (Labeled "Multiplayer") and you'll be brought to this screen:

The "Web Ranking" and "Pilot Info" buttons are used to find out where you stand among other pilots and the "Channels" dialog at the top is rarely used as there aren't enough players. Look to see what channel people are on. (NOTE: This does not include people ingame, only in the lobby)

Click on the "Games" button th the bottom-right to go to thge following screen:

None of those servers have players! That's strange! That's because they are dedicated servers, run by our own FUBAR. They are constantly running and anyone can join, joining sets the game in motion. Note that some of them have bracketed text (FSPort-MVPs, etc.). This means that they are running mods such as FreeSpace Port or the MediaVPs, you'll need to select the right folder from the "MOD" tab of the launcher before you join the game. It's best to set things up beforehand in IRC or wherever you organize the game so that there isn't confusion regarding mods.

Now you're all ready to take to the stars, Watch your six pilot!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:41:32 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Multiplayer Schedule

There are several scheduled games played regularly throughout the week, as well as games for mods and conversions such as BtRL, TBP, and soon Diaspora. Even if there isn't a game going on, chances are someone on IRC will want to play.

MULTI IRC Channel

Choose a name, click "OK" and go chat up IRC.

Games Schedule

All times are in GMT. Find the current time in GMT by clicking here.

Format:

Host (Alias)/Location

Time (GMT)
MOD (i.e. FSPort, MediaVPS)
Total Conversion (TBP, Diaspora, etc.)

JediMasterSeth (FLINT)/London, England

8:00PM GMT, Wednesday
MediaVPs 3.6.10

JediMasterSeth (FLINT)/London, England

8:00PM GMT, Saturday
MediaVPs 3.6.10

Andicirk (Captain-Custard)/London, England

7:00PM GMT, Thursday
Project Zathras
The Babylon Project
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:13:04 pm by Zacam »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Tips and Extras

This post will be dedicated to stuff such as the GV, TeamSpeak or Ventrillo, etc.

Tips

Joining a game
  • If the game is in progress, try to join once or twice. This gives the people ingame notice that you want to join, and they can include you in the next game. Once you do this go wait on IRC.
  • Make sure that you have the right mod selected or you'll crash and slow down getting the game going. This applies to builds as well, only use 3.6.16 Final unless you know what you're doing.
  • Get on IRC 10 minutes before you the game starts, regardless if it's scheduled or spur of the moment. This gives people time to get ready and make sure that they're on the same page.
  • Don't spam join requests, once or twice is enough.

Ingame
  • Be courteous, these are real people, and you can and will get kicked.
  • Consult more experienced players if you have never played the mission or don't know what to do. They can give you tips, and most of us are very friendly/helpful.
  • The chat key is 1, and the team chat key is 2
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:26:07 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Troubleshooting

Steps to troubleshooting:

• Is the issue multiplayer related? (as opposed to graphics or gameplay related or otherwise)
  • Did you search the forum for an answer?
  • Did you read the common issues on this post?
  • Did you ask on IRC?

If you still don't have an answer, post a thread here.

Common Issues

I get an error about hacked and/or invalid table files!

Make sure that you're using the same mod as the server (i.e. FSPort or the 3.6.10 MediaVPs) and that you don't have any table (.TBM and .TBL) files hanging around in \FreeSpace2\data\tables or in \FreeSpace2\<Enabled Mod Folder>\data\tables.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 06:52:16 pm by colecampbell666 »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Standalone Servers

A standalone server is one that needs no human input, you set it up to run on a PC and then you leave it running. People can join at will, and you don`t have to do a thing.

Setup

Setting up a standalone is pretty easy. Make sure that you read the Getting Ready guide, and follow it exactly.

Open up the launcher, and set your features tab like this:

If you want to run a mod, select the appropriate mod under the "MOD" tab, and continue to the next step. (NOTE: The only mod besides FS2 that has multiplayer missions is FSPort. You can select MediaVPs if you want to have better graphics)

Do that, and then click "Apply" and "Run". You'll see this window, and you can close the launcher now.

Name your server, and you're done. The other options are pretty self-explanatory.

Miscellanious

• Make sure that you indicate which mod you're running, if you're running MediaVPs, name your server "<My Server> MediaVPs".
  • If you want, you can leave the server running in the background while you use the computer, it won't affect performance on most PCs.
  • Be wary when using torrents or file sharing as they can hog upload speed and make your server unusable.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 04:18:57 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Re: 3.6.10 Multiplayer Setup, Schedule, and other Info (Work in Progress)
Sticky plz.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
As soon as 3.6.10 final is out.

BTW what are you using for hosting the images?  They just loaded really slow. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Imageshack.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Can you email them to me and I'll get them uploaded to a better place.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Just save them. The originals are on another PC.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Game starting.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
OK stickied since 3.6.10 is final. 

Oh and standalones are updated. 

BTW Cole you might want to remove that work in progress from the title if you are done.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Re: 3.6.10 Multiplayer Setup, Schedule, and other Info V0.9 CURRENT AS OF JULY 19TH
Any other suggestions for the "Tips" post?

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Re: 3.6.10 Multiplayer Setup, Schedule, and other Info V0.9 CURRENT AS OF JULY 19TH
I followed all instructions but I keep getting an error saying I didn't define the type of internet connection I'm using... I'm sure it's unblocked on my firewall and router, and all. And I'm also sure I did define my connection on the Launcher...

using 3.6.10 Final and Launcher 5.5e
Potato!

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Did you ever setup the connection settings before getting launcher 5.5e?  I've got a theory but I need to test it.  Would be helpful to know.

If 5.5e is the first launcher you used to set up the network settings can you try it with the 5.5d launcher and see if it works?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:23:12 am by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline jedimasterseth

• ~#fLinT#~
    • MySpace
Multi on Tonight!!! @ 8pm GMT

3.6.10 final - FREE B33R!!!
Jedimasterseth a.k.a FLINT

Need a bit of help guys. I'm new around, trying to make TBP multi work. i've followed all the instructions and i can log,see and play in other people's games but when i try to host my game doesnt appear in the list.

A guys suggested to me that since i can log i'm not having a problem with TBP but something that generally has to do with my comp i'd better ask here.

I'm using windows firewall on windows vista (ye i know -_-) and a company grade symantec antivirus. Tried disabling them both nothing happened.

I've been going over multiplayer instructions and threads for a few days and I'm pretty sure i've tried everything out there.

Any ideas? Thnx in advance
AN S&M VERSION OF STAR TREK: BEAT ME UP SCOTTY!

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
read the instructions carefully, you need to forward your ports in order to host.

Step 2
Forwarding Your Ports

In order to host a game, you need to forward ports 7808 and 7117 (TCP and UDP) on your router or firewall. You need an exception for FSO in your firewall (the .EXE and not the Launcher). This can be done in the router configuration page, the address should be 192.168.x.x. Your firewall should have a page for exception settings.

this is at least for FSO, not sure if the same ports also apply for TBP
Signed, me

I've done that to firewall, thought it wont matter for the router but it seems it does for hosting. Sadly, i've lost my routers pass -_-
AN S&M VERSION OF STAR TREK: BEAT ME UP SCOTTY!