So far, I think I've got some fairly intuitive styling cues in the map, and the info boxes could be used to add any detail about a sector that would be useful.
- Unclaimed sectors are colored light grey.
- Claimed are a brighter white background, ringed in the squad color.
- Paths between same-squad controlled sectors show up as the squad's color.
- If a sector is under a pending challenge, all paths leading to it from the challenging squad show up as a dashed line of the challenging squad's color.
- Entry nodes are hexagons whereas all others are ovals.
The beauty of it being dynamic is that it allows for Squadwar to serve other total conversions, with entirely different sector maps and numbers of sectors. It would also allow for small, medium, large, even mega-scale leagues maps, if there was ever that much interest again.
When I'm happy with it I'll have it committed to Github and checked out on the official server. Did I mention the map is click-to-drag and scroll-zoomable