Author Topic: 3.6.18 Multiplayer Setup, Schedule, and other Info V0.9 CURRENT AS OF Aug 19TH  (Read 144005 times)

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Re: 3.6.12 Multiplayer Setup, Schedule, and other Info V0.9 CURRENT AS OF Aug 19TH
Well, I'm stuck.

I can't bridge my router because I can't set up PPPoE on the Linksys because I don't know the ISP Username and Password.

I can't get the ISP Username and Password from my dad because my mom doesn't want him to because she thinks I'll **** up the internet.

I'm screwed.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: 3.6.12 Multiplayer Setup, Schedule, and other Info V0.9 CURRENT AS OF Aug 19TH
If you break it you can always call the ISP, I've had to do that twice to figure out how to set up bridged mode on our Westech.  They have it hidden down deep.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Be very careful when talking about Static IPs. If you're doing port forwarding you may want your PC to have a static IP address. This is a very different thing from calling up your ISP and asking them for your internet to have a static IP address.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You want your computers on the network to have private static IPs if possible, which can be done either on the computer itself, or on the wifi router by setting up DHCP to always assign the same IP to certain MAC addresses.  I prefer the latter, especially with laptops because then I don't need to reset my laptop's wifi settings when I go from home to somewhere else.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Yeah, I set up a static IP from my computer a long time ago. I just didn't know there were two kinds.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The difference is, remember how I said that IP addresses can be specific to the sub-networks?  Well, that's all well and fine in your N-Router network or your (separate) modem/router network.  However, the Internet only sees the IP that your ISP sets for your modem, which is usually dynamic (meaning it can change)... however, you don't have to worry about that.  The only thing you need to worry about is static IPs for your computers in your own little N-Router network, which you said you took care of already.

HANG ON! I went into my modem/router, clicked on WAN, went down to IP Address, clicked on static IP, and put in 192.168.1.100

Yeah, that would be because your N-Router had its default gateway setting detected as 192.168.2.1 (modem's previous IP).

power cycling your N-Router would have fixed your Internet, as it would have detected your Modem/Router's new address of 192.168.1.100... except, you run into this problem: 192.168.1.100 is an IP that can potentially exist on your N-Router network.  Oopsie, so now your N-Router would be trying to ask the (non-existent) 192.168.1.100 computer on it's own network (the LAN jacks and wireless form that network) for any IP request that doesn't exist on the local network (in otherwords, www.google.com etc).  The reason that you might want to do this:  Say you've got a computer with two ethernet jacks... one connects to your N-Router (call it eth0), the other to your modem (call it eth1).  You have set Internet connection sharing from the eth1 (modem, connected to Internet) to eth0 (N-Router network).  Now computers requesting Internet sites will be redirected to 192.168.1.100, which would be your dual-ethernet computer.  This could be useful for advanced firewalling, having a local copy of data (which you would access by setting up a server service (sorry, no pun intended) on the dual jacked computer.

I'm sorry if this is all confusing.  But that's why 192.168.1.100 wouldn't work.  You should have put your modem to 192.168.2.100 (which cannot exist on the 192.168.1.0 network) and restarted your N-Router so that it would detect the difference in the default gateway IP and connect.

EDIT: BTW:

Router = connects two networks, keeping them separate

Bridge = combines two networks into one network

(Anyone that's certified in this, please correct me if I have my facts wrong.)

EDIT2: if you want to read up on your own:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_bridge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_router

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP_protocol_stack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP_model
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 02:10:27 pm by jr2 »

Offline HAZARDLEADER

• LOL! A wild derp appears!
  • The lurk god.
Can i play on a 3.6.10 server with 3.6.12 media vps?
...and from the depths of hell I return with gifts;  one-hundred bucks and a bottle of booze.

Why would you want to?
I don't think some of the scripting material added into the .12mvps mods work on .10 builds, you would get the models though I guess.

You should probably just use .14 when it's released.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, you should only use .10 if you really enjoy having lots of bugs.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline mariomix10

• "Pff, SCREW GRAVITY!" - Random Guy on Asdf, Tomska
Y am I unable to host?
Ok so me and my bud have been trying to play a PXO game for WEEKS now. I tried forwarding my ports, direct IP, but nothing works except for putting up a Stand Alone server, and I don't have another computer just sitting around. The only thing I can think of doing is finding a way to somehow make a server, kinda like Minecraft, but I can't find any info on that.... If anyone's got any ideas tell me. He can't see my servers at all...
,Mariomix

Oh and yeah I do have the patch I'm supposed to have... .-.
5.5g Launcher
3.6.14 RC4 Freespace open .exe's
3.6.12 MediaVp's

,Mariomix

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If you're forwarding ports from a router, it should be the only firewall you need.  You can therefore disable Windows firewall if you haven't already, as it really just gets in the way.  I only mention it because you didn't, just being thorough.  Hop on #MULTI some time and I can try to connect to you while I'm at work possibly.

Offline mason76

• Свободный поиск (free-search)
Sorry for my English,
1) What is a server at the moment (babylon-project, Zathras)?
2) Is it possible to set up a server (babylon-project, Zathras) 24/7

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
For 2), are you asking if it is possible to set up a dedicated server yourself, or are you asking for someone here to do it?

Offline mason76

I asked the server might need somebody, yes, the mood of the dedicated server itself. Maybe a little bit interested in going over the nuances in the configuration.
asked the server might need somebody, yes, the mood of the dedicated server itself. Maybe a little bit interested in going over the nuances in the configuration.
The channel is small, 8 Mbps, extendable up to 20 Mbps.
Hardware:
Processor: AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core @ 3.90GHz (8 Cores), Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3, Chipset: AMD nee ATI RD890, Memory: 32768MB, Disk: 2 x 1000GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN1, Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6570 1024MB (670/800MHz), Audio: Realtek ALC889, Monitor: DPlus 230SB, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168B

Software:
OS: Ubuntu 12.04, Kernel: 3.2.0-27-generic (x86_64), Desktop: GNOME 3.2.1, Display Server: X Server 1.11.3, Display Driver: fglrx 8.96.4, OpenGL: 4.2.11627, Compiler: GCC 4.6, File-System: ext4, Screen Resolution: 1600x1200

Offline mason76

because there is, who wants to play online. Bored one

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The directions are for 3.6.10, however, try and see if it will work:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=63609.msg1253132#msg1253132

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
I literally have no idea what I'm doing as far as this "port forwarding" business is concerned. I have a Linksys E1200 and I can get to my settings page, but the OP's walkthrough is pretty vague.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Try this Linksys router port forwarding guide.  Might help.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
You should be able to find instructions for your specific router model from portforward.com (they will try to sell you a program to do it for you... if you want, but I haven't ever used it.  Just go to the guide section and go by model number)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Neither of those helped. I am an idiot, does nobody else use a linksys router? I need baby step by baby step help. I did what I thought I was supposed to do, clicked save changes, and it went right back to default settings.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance