Author Topic: Support for Visual Studio 2010 is ending  (Read 2238 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Support for Visual Studio 2010 is ending
While we're doing some housecleaning and restructuring of our build processes, it is time to say goodbye to platforms that no longer meet our requirements. Visual Studio 2010 no longer does, as we are using more and more C++11 features that that compiler no longer supports.

Effective immediately, the lowest supported build platform on Windows will be Visual Studio 2013. Should you need help setting it up (I think that release requires a separate install of the multibyte MFC library), the #scp channel is there for you.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Support for Visual Studio 2010 is ending
(I think that release requires a separate install of the multibyte MFC library)
Actually, I think 2013 Community was the first free release that included the MFC libraries, so we shouldn't have problems there.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Yarn

(I think that release requires a separate install of the multibyte MFC library)
Actually, I think 2013 Community was the first free release that included the MFC libraries, so we shouldn't have problems there.
I'm pretty sure that VS 2015 Community, not 2013, was the first to include them. However, even with VS 2015, you still have to manually choose to install them (I think).
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm pretty sure that VS 2015 Community, not 2013, was the first to include them. However, even with VS 2015, you still have to manually choose to install them (I think).
You're not confusing 2013 Community with 2013 Express, are you? Because I specifically remember it being a big deal when the Community edition was first announced that people no longer had to pay to compile FRED.

Your second sentence (about having to manually select to install MFC) doesn't match my recollection of either time I installed 2015 Community, but it's possible that process has changed (perhaps more than once) over time.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Yarn

You're not confusing 2013 Community with 2013 Express, are you? Because I specifically remember it being a big deal when the Community edition was first announced that people no longer had to pay to compile FRED.
I'm not confusing them; I remember VS 2013 Community requiring the multibyte MFC library (this one) to compile FRED. (Well, at least the second paragraph of this post says it's needed.)

Your second sentence (about having to manually select to install MFC) doesn't match my recollection of either time I installed 2015 Community, but it's possible that process has changed (perhaps more than once) over time.
I've installed VS 2015 Community at least twice before: once with the Custom option, and once with the Express option. In both cases, the MFC option was deselected by default. I don't think I actually tried compiling FRED before enabling the option, though.

I noticed something funny, though: I ran the Visual Studio uninstaller earlier (as I was writing this post) and found that MFC apparently wasn't installed, even though I successfully compiled FRED earlier today (and I'm pretty sure that I actually did install it). Reinstalling and removing it broke FRED, however; I had to install it again to be able to compile FRED again. So, perhaps, it's possible for MFC to be installed without the option being selected?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178