Author Topic: GTCv Deimos  (Read 87318 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'd sort of prefer going back to the unbroken side armor belt of the original Deimos rather than keeping the segmented look the older hi-poly version had.  This would make it look more bricklike without actually changing the basic shape of the model. There any chance for that?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The nameplate IS still in the same general area, on the thing between the two side turrets.

Also, the box art has the side/underbelly of the front as a flat surface. The MediaVP one has a series of 3 wedge shapes, yours is completely recessed. Where and how will that affect the placement of the weapons going there?
It won't affect it any differently than before.

I'd sort of prefer going back to the unbroken side armor belt of the original Deimos rather than keeping the segmented look the older hi-poly version had.  This would make it look more bricklike without actually changing the basic shape of the model. There any chance for that?
Probably, was planning on playing with that part after thinking about it some today.

EDIT: Actually, I honestly don't like brickships and I'd rather go with what looks best, so we'll see.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'm reposting this here, since it was originally in the full thread and because its primary content isn't related to the split.

I do have another suggestion however, but it could be more of a can of worms... though less in terms of overt aesthetics.  My suggestion comes down to visual effects, borrowing a technique that so far I've only seen used on the Boadicea... subsystem debris.  When for example, a turret is destroyed on a normal ship, there's an explosion, some briefly rendered generic debris chunks that disappear almost immediately, and then you see the destroyed model of the turret (if one was included).  Including subsystem debris means that visible chunks of the destroyed submodel will be spawned from the explosion that actually look like they used to be part of it, and they won't disappear after a second or two.  The Boadicea used this so that chunks of the asteroid surface could be blown away.  The only thing that might need some source code additions would be to give enough outward momentum to the debris, as on the Boadicea they don't fly away at any great pace.  The drawbacks to using this (that I know of) are down to the number of polys... though a more informed modeler/coder might have more reasons to shoot down this suggestion.

RGA's reply:
One issue with debris is how it effects balance. Imagine that a ship has added debris for the cool factor, but it basically becomes giant shrapnel hurling through space and impacting other ships, significantly damaging them.

Subsystem debris is relatively small, but the potential is still there.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I'd avoid putting actual "bases" on the hull for the side turrets, seeing as the best way to handle them would be to have a table-side thing that vanishes them entirely. (Assuming this becomes possible at some point).

Then you can have extra turrets easily available through table editing that doesn't visually throw anyone off.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Luis Dias

Apart from the technicalities, I find this model not so much better than the original as of yet. Perhaps if you try to think a little outside the "box" that the Deimos currently is... the major gripe I have with the current mediaVPS model is that it's "HTL'd" but not so much so, it still feels faceted. It still feels like a cheap CGI model from the nineties, quake 2 style.

This model simply takes that approach and smoothes it a little bit. Not enough of a change to get my emotions firing.

But please go on, it's a very entertaining endeavour, and always a challenge to be met.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Probably, was planning on playing with that part after thinking about it some today.

EDIT: Actually, I honestly don't like brickships and I'd rather go with what looks best, so we'll see.

The reason I'd prefer is that, basically, an unbroken armor belt gives a much greater impression of durability and power, whereas the segmented instead gives the impression that Terran ship designers are morons who introduce massive vulnerabilities into the design because they can. Since this is arguably the best entry in the field of Terran ship design in FS2, it doesn't really fit. If we were discussing the Hecate, I'd be all for making it look like it was designed by fools because it probably was.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Hades

Apart from the technicalities, I find this model not so much better than the original as of yet. Perhaps if you try to think a little outside the "box" that the Deimos currently is... the major gripe I have with the current mediaVPS model is that it's "HTL'd" but not so much so, it still feels faceted. It still feels like a cheap CGI model from the nineties, quake 2 style.

This model simply takes that approach and smoothes it a little bit. Not enough of a change to get my emotions firing.

But please go on, it's a very entertaining endeavour, and always a challenge to be met.
Yeah, many people have been telling me to just smooth it over instead of adding detail (greeble, etc) which I'll probably be ignoring. Well said.

The reason I'd prefer is that, basically, an unbroken armor belt gives a much greater impression of durability and power, whereas the segmented instead gives the impression that Terran ship designers are morons who introduce massive vulnerabilities into the design because they can. Since this is arguably the best entry in the field of Terran ship design in FS2, it doesn't really fit.
I see, will try something out.

If we were discussing the Hecate, I'd be all for making it look like it was designed by fools because it probably was.
*high-five*
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:23:58 am by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Hades

redid the middle section, still more work needed on this part. will redo the nose too.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
You might consider going all out on the horizontal "trench" thing along the side. The :v: model had the tiling lights texture applied there, which you don't necessarily have to follow. It might look much better (and give it a proper sense of scale) with more random greebles. And by that I mean functional looking geometry with irregular rows of windows sprinkled in.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Sololop

I eagerly await the final product  :yes:

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Can you put the images on imageshack or somewhere that the library internet doesn't block please?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Hades

Still not sure about the middle segment, but I think it came out better this time. Nose needs some work too. Thoughts/suggestions for the nose or the middle part?
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Maybe a little too smooth, especially the nose, but that's a huge nitpick. Looks very good so far.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Luis Dias

The forward vertical egg (the forwardest shape) could extend a little to the bottom, perhaps finish in a smooth way.

Idk, it seems awkward for the whole shape to be as if cut through with a knife at the bottom.

Perhaps not a good idea?

Anyways, good luck. It's getting better.

Offline Kolgena

You haven't added in the front thruster and the beam turret mounts, so it's hard to say how the nose flows with the rest of the ship. Right now, it looks very good. However, I personally would favor a flatter (more angular?), less bulbous approach to the nose, or even something to break up the large smooth surface.

All the other parts look great.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Offline Kolgena

Man, that's a forced simile.

Offline Hades

I do need to still add some details to the nose, and some other stuff. Thoughts?
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I would suggest some detail work on the windows section.

Offline Hades

Oh I am going to do that, I just need to think of what it should look like for now, docking port and side turrets
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL