Author Topic: K Wing Texture Progress  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
K Wing Texture Progress

Still deep in WiP mode, obviously. Based on Fantasy Flight's X Wing miniatures interpretation.

Still need to finalize the base coats, dirty it up, and fix a few small UV bugs. Hoping to have the LoD0 done over the new year break, but it might take a little while longer. Fingers crossed. :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Dain

Re: K Wing Texture Progress
Yay more toys. I think FFG K-wing is pretty cool

Potential weathering inspiration?

I quite like the idea of this repaint that I saw, which adds X-wing style wing markings, plus colour on the engines.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:53:42 am by Dain »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't care what anyone says, I ****in love K-wings

The silhouette of the K-Wing makes me think someone kitbashed an A-10 Warthog and an A-6 Intruder into a new body for a craft, then created a two seat Y-Wing front end and slapped it on. LOL
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Pretty good start!  Not a craft I'm even remotely familiar with, but it looks like it could be a good compliment to the B-Wing.  Alternatively, it could find a niche in a neutral faction heavy assault role.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's a post-ROTJ New Republic heavy bomber notable for carrying self-defense turrets and (in the X-Wing game) a SLAM. It came out of the EU's brief misadventure into military SF in the Black Fleet Crisis.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
It's a post-ROTJ New Republic heavy bomber notable for carrying self-defense turrets and (in the X-Wing game) a SLAM. It came out of the EU's brief misadventure into military SF in the Black Fleet Crisis.

Oh, I know what the EU's explanation of what it is - but if we use it in FotG we reserve the right to come up with our own background and uses for it.  For all intents and purposes, most EU or "Legends" material doesn't exist, as far as we're concerned.  We've pulled a Disney on that before it was cool.  We're such Star Wars hipsters. :p

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Thanks everyone, glad people like it so far. :)

Dain: Weathering is something that will go on more or less last, and will probably be a lot more subtle than that repaint. From a FREDding perspective, it's just mroe useful to have a subtly weathered K-Wing than a completely beat up one, since if you have three identically scruffy ships, it might look a little off. The colour scheme I can work with though - the red paint on this one is entirely isolated on its own layer, and paintjob variants are super easy to do.

Battuta: I'm also very pro K Wing. :) Though I might have left it too late, I'm hoping to get this model finished in time to render up a couple of custom alt art Warden Squadron Pilots for my X Wing Regionals list. :)

I do have some questions if people are willing to give their opinions:

1. The K Wing, by default, has no standard forward facing primary weapons. This is going to make it very unusual for a Freespace (engine) bomber. There are a number of options here:
    • Leave it as it is, let the AI deal with the turrets, and the player just has to accept he has no forward firing weapons.
    • Lock the forward turret forward.
    • Treat it more like a gunship or small capship, using the capship script (or some variant).
    • Restrict it to use exclusively by the AI.
    • Soemthing clever I haven't thought of.
    2. The current model has empty hardpoint spaces where munitions will go, intended to utilise the engine's ability to show munitions before they're fired. Unfortunately, the shape of munitions in SW don't actually work very well for that kind of display - concussion and assault missiles look like earth missiles, so they're basically work, but Proton Torpedoes are big wide cones, which will look very odd, and plasma torps are egg shaped, which will also fail to work. Again, a couple of options here:
      • Ignore it, and just accept that plasma and Proton Torps are going to look goofy.
      • Model in some launchers instead of empty hardpoints, and give up on using visible munitions.
      • Build "launcher" models for the weird looking torps - I'm 99% sure that this can be made tow rok with the engine.
      • Something clever.
      Any opinions on the above?
      TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
      Rarely Updated P3D.
      Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

From a gameplay perspective you could lock the front turret, use it as a primary, then give the ship a really high autoaim FOV and pretend that's the turret moving.
      Though the problem with that is that it would look terrible in 3rd person as the turret wouldn't actually move.

The other solution is to just use a capship script to allow the player to set targets and priorities for all the turrets.

The last option is to just say "**** it, no primaries", the player can probably deal with that since heavy bomber primaries are basically only there to mount maxims for better disabling and a bit of extra damage vs capships. You don't lose anything super important by removing them entirely.

Build "launcher" models for the weird looking torps - I'm 99% sure that this can be made tow rok with the engine.

This is basically what BP does with its external weapon models, so yes, the engine does support it.
      « Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:58:10 am by FrikgFeek »
      [19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
      I do have some questions if people are willing to give their opinions:

1. The K Wing, by default, has no standard forward facing primary weapons. This is going to make it very unusual for a Freespace (engine) bomber. There are a number of options here:
        • Leave it as it is, let the AI deal with the turrets, and the player just has to accept he has no forward firing weapons.
        • Lock the forward turret forward.
        • Treat it more like a gunship or small capship, using the capship script (or some variant).
        • Restrict it to use exclusively by the AI.
        • Soemthing clever I haven't thought of.

We could make it work like the Falcon; the players gets to toggle, by switching between two entries in the primary weapons list, whether the turret is locked forwards and will fire just like a regular primary weapon when you press the trigger, or whether the AI will operate it as a regular turret. That's entirely script-driven and requires nothing special in the modelling/converting phase.

• Model in some launchers instead of empty hardpoints, and give up on using visible munitions.

Seems like the best option to me. External munitions are pretty alien to the OT aesthetic, so I see no particular reason to go there when it's not necessary.

Offline Dain

Dain: Weathering is something that will go on more or less last, and will probably be a lot more subtle than that repaint. From a FREDding perspective, it's just mroe useful to have a subtly weathered K-Wing than a completely beat up one, since if you have three identically scruffy ships, it might look a little off. The colour scheme I can work with though - the red paint on this one is entirely isolated on its own layer, and paintjob variants are super easy to do.

Cool, just thought I'd throw them in there. The second one in particular to me makes it feel like it fits a bit more with the other ships in terms of wing markings and prominent FG colours.

We could make it work like the Falcon; the players gets to toggle, by switching between two entries in the primary weapons list, whether the turret is locked forwards and will fire just like a regular primary weapon when you press the trigger, or whether the AI will operate it as a regular turret. That's entirely script-driven and requires nothing special in the modelling/converting phase.

This is exciting information about the mod (:P) and also seems like the best solution to this problem.

Seems like the best option to me. External munitions are pretty alien to the OT aesthetic, so I see no particular reason to go there when it's not necessary.

Seems like this is sort of the policy FFG takes.. That promo art I posted above has the K wing firing missiles, but still has stuff underslung on the wings. This art seems to have a lot of random extra turbines which look a bit daft really. So (circular?) launchers might look nicer?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/2/27/K-Wing_NEGVV.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080423161904

Edit: Buggerit, sorry about spamming the thread with huge images.

Also, this interpretation of the K wing has launchers, but I'm really not a fan of how they've done it:

http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/11/10662/thumb_620x2000/K-Wing_by_Bouma_-_Final_Blue.jpg
          « Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:18:49 am by Dain »