Author Topic: How to keep up with new builds, ships and effects?  (Read 2063 times)

How to keep up with new builds, ships and effects?
Hey everyone, as a big, but not here all the time fan of Freespace, what's the best way to keep up with new releases etc? Is there a news article or anything that lists them? For example, the most recent Media VPS release from the installer doesn't include that sick new Apollo model that came out a while ago. Plus old campaigns are constantly being redone, the whole PBG rendering development. It can be a bit rough to keep up with, though I always have in the past.

Basically, is there a recommend list of builds/ships/effects that is updated semi-regularly?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: How to keep up with new builds, ships and effects?
The fso installer and newsletters here on hrtd-light would be my best bets.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Do you know when the installer was last updated?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It's fairly regular, but that's why I suggested the newsletters too. :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Actually, I suppose we could use a topic showing every possible graphic upgrade that isn't in MediaVPS already. I think the new Apollo, Hipocrates, Leviathan and some others would fit there. The basic PBR maps too. Of course, all of it would be manually installed (or not, maybe someone would add them to the Installer?), but that's an easy process either way.

The thing that makes me wonder is where was that attempt to re-make most of FS2 fighters to look more FS1-ish? The models for some were actually complete IIRC.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Would it be too much to ask for links? I can't find the Apollo thread using the search engine for some reason. Sometimes stuff gets buried.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The Asset Releases subforum is a good place to look.  The Apollo thread is the fifth one on the first page, currently.  The FreeSpace Upgrade forum is a good place to track works-in-progress.

The wiki is also a good place to look.  Here is a massive page filled with community-created ships.

Awesome, thanks!

After browsing the forums for about an hour, I still can't seem to find how you actually install these new ships. All I want to do is swap out the new Apollo for the old one in FSPort 2014. Could someone direct me to information on how to do that?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:53:25 pm by manwiththemachinegun »

Offline Mito [PL]

Yup. I think I mentioned it in a proper topic, but whatever. Just grab the proper Apollo (as there are several different ones in the pack), then place all the .dds files to fsport-mediavps/data/maps and the .pof file to fsport-mediavps/data/models. I am not sure if it's really needed, but just in case you might want to rename it to fighter04.pof.

E: The same goes for the Hipocrates and Leviathan, but you don't need to rename anything (not sure about the Leviathan though). Just place the files in mediavps/data and everything should work just fine.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I am not sure if it's really needed, but just in case you might want to rename it to fighter04.pof.
The 1.1 version I downloaded a year ago already had the primary model named fighter04.pof.

The most important thing to note is that it uses PBR textures, which means it won't work right in 3.7.4; you'll either need a recent nightly build, or the latest release candidate for 3.8.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Thanks! I was trying to do the whole, "create a mod folder, and edit the .ini file" from various Google searches and the only thing that was doing was breaking everything. New Apollo is working in FSport and damn it's beautiful. Thanks again everyone.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
One important thing to know about the upgraded Apollo:  The firepoints differ from the original.  I don't remember the specifics, but it the original fireepoints better support mirror fire, so if you're using double-fire mode a missile will fire from both the right and left side at the same time.  I believe that the new one has more firepoints for the secondary bays, and they aren't set up that way, so for my install I openned it in PCS2 and changed them.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Mito [PL]

I suppose that isn't really a problem, as with most of the guided missiles it is mostly irrelevant and who would shoot dumbfires with the secondary bays so far away from the center of the fighter and from each other?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Uh... so apparently I somehow broke the weapon effects so they're displaying as FS1 default, instead of the new VPS effects. And... I'm really not sure what I did? The mod.ini is still set to fsport,mediavps_2014. FS2 seems unaffected, but FSport is.

Edit: Okay, apparently switching to fs2_open_3_8_0_RC4_SSE2, completely broke not only the weapon effects but also the lighting. I'm not sure how you're supposed to use that version of Open and still have FSport work optimally. Switching back to fs2_open_3_7_4_RC1 fixed everything.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:44:50 pm by manwiththemachinegun »