Author Topic: Nebulon B Frigate WIP UPDATED June 05, 2015  (Read 106300 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: Nebulon B Frigate WIP
Thats fine work, I've never seen this method of modelling before and its pretty interesting seeing her form out of those boxes.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Cole: 300 meters according to the wook.

Its like working your way through clay, molding it out as you go along. Hell I don't know anything about modeling, just a wild guess.
Last render kicks ass, good job dude.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Even if it's not a solid modeling app, I bet this guy started with a basis in drafting or solid modeling or a CAD like app.  It's probably a more common technique in those fields than in game modeling, but it can work.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline PHRiSCo

I'm just using 3dsmax. I've been modelling professionally for games for over a decade now. This is how I've always done it, this is how I've always seen it, except for when we used to shape with splines to build a cage years and years ago.

Chief, what kind of modelling style do you use at the game studio you work at?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's like watching Rolf Harris draw a picture ;)

Looking very nice :)

Offline PHRiSCo

updated, just screwin around. :)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'm not a modeler, but it reminds me more of the modeling techniques we covered in one of my engineering courses in college.  But like StarSlayer said, it's not a common method around here, most people add to, not cut away.  The mesh itself doesn't have to be welded together so it works really well to do it that way.  If this is as easy to unwrap, then I can't see one advantage one way or the other, except possibly a poly count difference.  Don't know which would win in that case.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Okay, so this is amazing. Keep it up :yes:

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
I'm just using 3dsmax. I've been modelling professionally for games for over a decade now. This is how I've always done it, this is how I've always seen it, except for when we used to shape with splines to build a cage years and years ago.

Chief, what kind of modelling style do you use at the game studio you work at?

Oh, man, we got an awesome professional modeler on the team.  Your work is amazing...between you and the others on this team (especially Brandx, but everyone's doing great work) this is turning out to be the most exciting Star Wars game (simulator) ever.  Keep up the great job, and thanks for the frequent updates.

Wow, I had no idea there were pros working on the project. That says a lot about it. Fantastic job you've done so far. :yes:

The Neb B's engine exhaust was colored nearly white, I think.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Wow, I had no idea there were pros working on the project. That says a lot about it. Fantastic job you've done so far. :yes:

The Neb B's engine exhaust was colored nearly white, I think.

From the image gallery here:

Offline PHRiSCo

During the rebel fleet hyperspace sequence in rotj the exhaust is yellow, so, whenever the model is closer to completion, we can monkey around with that.

Besides, once it's in game I don't think I'll make that decision. ;) Brand X is the senior artist on this project, he'll make the call.

Thanks for the support fellas, you wont see as many updates like I was doing before in the near future, but I'll get it done ASAP.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
you wont see as many updates like I was doing before in the near future, but I'll get it done ASAP.

The old bait and switch.  You get us to expect hourly updates then pull the rug out from under us. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Great work.. you're on the right way my Friend.. The Nebulon B Frigate is the greatest Spaceship I've ever seen, it got something very powerfull and mysterious in my eyes, whoever came up wit the Design of this Ship must have seen it somewhere in reality :)

This ship always catch my sight...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Nebulon B Frigate is the greatest Spaceship I've ever seen, it got something very powerfull and mysterious in my eyes, whoever came up wit the Design of this Ship must have seen it somewhere in reality :)

It was inspired by an outboard motor. :P

Offline PHRiSCo

I actually know the guy who designed this ship, we were in the same office when I was with EA. His name is Nilo Rodis.

I never had the opportunity to work with him directly, but we got to know each other pretty well just by being in the same studio for so many years. I used to give him rides home quite often because he loved my car at the time and I was always star struck, he fraking designed Princess Leias bikini! He still calls me Fish which is my nickname, because my last name is Cohoe, and we still chat from time to time but I haven't ran into him since a sushi lunch last year.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You, sir, are a legend. :nod:

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I have definitely heard the name Nilo Rodis before, that's pretty cool man.

wow, send the man some greetings and tell'em thanks for all these countless hours of dreaming while watchin this incredible and kinda mysterious starship :)

I found something incredible too..check this: