Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 102175 times)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
What are the general energy differences?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Is pretty close to my pc, which can handle it just fine, so yes.

Thank you!

What are your PC's specs?
i7-2600k 3.4ghz
8gb ram
GTX 760, also running on 1680x1050
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Is pretty close to my pc, which can handle it just fine, so yes.

Thank you!

What are your PC's specs?
i7-2600k 3.4ghz
8gb ram
GTX 760, also running on 1680x1050

Oh wow. Good! I was worried when I saw "You should only use these if your video card can handle 4096x4096 sized textures without choking". I was like, "um... I'm a geek and a nerd, yet, I don't know. So, crap... I need to ask." lol

Thank you, Spoon!
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hey guys! I'm really proud of one of our latest changes.

All ships in FreeSpace 2 will now drop flares instead of countermeasures. They should behave exactly the same in gameplay terms, but you'll now be able to see when your target is trying to decoy your missiles. And they look really gorgeous!

All ships in FreeSpace 2 will now drop flares instead of countermeasures. They should behave exactly the same in gameplay terms, but you'll now be able to see when your target is trying to decoy your missiles. And they look really gorgeous!
I am really looking forward to playing now!!! I'll be able to play starting sometime tomorrow or maybe Saturday!
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

All ships in FreeSpace 2 will now drop flares instead of countermeasures.

Nitpick: Flares are countermeasures.  :P

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flare#Countermeasure
A special variety of flare is used in military aircraft as a defensive countermeasure against heat-seeking missiles.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
 :rolleyes:
Urutorahappī!!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Except in FSO they're considered weapons.

I CAN NITPICK STRONGER THAN YOU
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Except in FSO they're considered weapons.

I CAN NITPICK STRONGER THAN YOU
FSO also considers countermeasures to be a type of weapon, and these flares are still considered countermeasures by FSO.

MY NITPICK-FU IS STRONGER THAN YOURS
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Urutorahappī!!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Let's post about this cool campaign and more stuff we can fix!

I'm planning to look at King's Gambit and Rebels & Renegades. Anything else?

Online deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I'm having a blast playing through this campaign right now; I just finished "Into the Maelstrom."  I don't have anything jumping out that i'd like to see different with gameplay, but I have noticed several times where the game cuts off dialog or cutscenes.  I may just restart the campaign, so I can note them as they happen.

Great work, guys!!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
In Proving Grounds you are supposedly providing targeting data to the Aquitaine, but it really doesn't feel like it. The Aquitaine barely shoots that Moloch, whether or not I'm over there.

In The Sixth Wonder, disabling and disarming the Cato ruins the mission since even if the Colossus arrives it will not fire on it. Destroying the Cato allows the Hawkwood to arrive and be blown to pieces. Maybe the Hawkwood arrival queue should be timed or linked to one of the bomber wings. It doesn't make any sense for it to wait until the Cato has been blown, specially if the Colossus is in station. Also, the Colossus should beam the Cato if its still there.

I used a Pegasus on Endgame and I was constantly getting targetted by AA beams from the Aelous. It didn't felt quite stealthy.

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
I just finished the final mission. It was a blast running through the original campaign again. The new TAG stuff made it a lot more useful than it used to be.

The issues I can remember right now:
The morning star didn't seem to have any effect on the Pegasi in Proving Grounds, which used to be my primary way of keeping them off the cruiser (and nothing else in the entire game, pretty much).
In one of my tries at Bearbaiting, the destroyer got its engine subsystem knocked out by the Sathanas and couldn't jump out. Since it's invulnerable the Sathanas just kept shooting impotently at it until I finished off the beam cannons.
The dialogue in High Noon was spotty, as in it didn't have any flow at all. It felt like the timing on the dialogue triggers were off, but perhaps that's an artefact left over from the original mission. It's always bugged me that the dialogue doesn't change even when the Sathanas has been completely defanged. Would love to see the mission changed to something like the old High Noon 2.0 from Dilmah G.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:42:43 pm by TacOne »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The Morningstar isn't gonna do **** to those guys, nope. Does the mission text suggest you use Morningstars?

I think the tradeoff is worth it to make the Morningstar possibly useful elsewhere in the game.

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Edited my post above while you were replying.

The Morningstar isn't gonna do **** to those guys, nope. Does the mission text suggest you use Morningstars?

I think the tradeoff is worth it to make the Morningstar possibly useful elsewhere in the game.

There's no suggestion to use it, but it's supposed to knock things around, which is useful when you want to keep something you can't kill from targeting your horribly fragile cruiser.
It used to work and now it doesn't, is what I'm saying, and if it's not supposed to work then I don't know how to "win" that fight.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Using morningstars does kick them a bit, a concentrated barrage does move them and distract them.

Also, in A Monster in the Mist, the Ptah first bank is unassigned by default and I also get hit by AAA beams.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
In one of my tries at Bearbaiting, the destroyer got its engine subsystem knocked out by the Sathanas and couldn't jump out. Since it's invulnerable the Sathanas just kept shooting impotently at it until I finished off the beam cannons.

I've definitely got to fix that!

The dialogue in High Noon was spotty, as in it didn't have any flow at all. It felt like the timing on the dialogue triggers were off, but perhaps that's an artefact left over from the original mission. It's always bugged me that the dialogue doesn't change even when the Sathanas has been completely defanged. Would love to see the mission changed to something like the old High Noon 2.0 from Dilmah G.

The mission's already been changed! Keep an eye on the Sath, never loses its bite.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
And if I recall Proving Grounds right you can save the cruiser by EMPing the Pegasus fighters.

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
The mission's already been changed! Keep an eye on the Sath, never loses its bite.

Oh yeah I noticed the carapace beam array, it was glorious :D