Author Topic: A convincing ECM effect  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Deora11

A convincing ECM effect
I'm in the process of creating a small campaign revolving around the construction of the first Murugan strike frigate (created by Esarai, of course).

I've got to a point where I wish to implement an effective ECM on a cruisers beams.

I have the cruiser following parallel to the Murugan, and it's anti-fighter beams keep shredding my wings.

To the point..... I want the beams to keep firing, but to have terrible accuracy. Is there anyway for me to accomplish this without creating new weapon tbm's with greater FOF's (which I can do), or by having the beams fire at a specific point in the theatre (don't like because it's not random ).

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Re: A convincing ECM effect
It should be possible to manually fire a beam at random coordinates around a specific point, but honestly, having an extra ECM'd AAA weapon in your tables seems to be the much easier way.

EDIT - here's an incomplete SEXP-based solution, you'll need to add proper target selection &  use the fire-beam-at-coordinates SEXP

Code: [Select]
( set-object-position
      "point_to_shoot:1"
      ( -
         ( get-object-x "target" )
         ( rand -35 35 )
      )
      ( +
         ( get-object-y "target" )
         ( rand -35 35 )
      )
      ( -
         ( get-object-z "target" )
         ( rand -35 35 )
      )
   )
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:50:59 am by X3N0-Life-Form »

Offline Deora11

Thanks for the reply.

To save my missions from getting cluttered with SEXP's, I've gone for the more easier and, in my opinion, more effective approach (ECM-tbm's).

The only downside is, if I complete my campaign and go public with it, it adds to the amount of files needed to run the campaign.

Hopefully people will use this thread if they wish to produce a randomized, effective ECM effect.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ideally, when you release, you'd want co pack up your campaign files in (at least) a single VP file, so that wouldn't make the total file count any greater.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Did you try changing AAAfs to AAAhs? Because if you're playing on low difficulties, AAAf accuracy will go up, not down with difficulty, as it's meant for friendlies. AAAh is meant for hostile ships.

Offline Deora11

To Dragon, I honestly didn't know that. Anyhow, the point was to reduce the accuracy of the beam itself anyway. If I used AAAh instead, I would still want to reduce its accuracy (producing the effect), so a new tbm would still be needed anyway.

As for Mongoose's post, completely slipped my mind 'bout packing it into a VP file. I am so used to pulling things out with VPView, never clicked to use it to put stuff in. Thanks.