Author Topic: FSO issues  (Read 1240 times)

Computer illiterate here again.

So I restarted the whole process again, (uninstalled freespace 2 and re installed it). I had my computer literate friend work java for me to get the FSO installer running in lieu of the manual build since he doesnt know anything about FS2. Now he is drunk and cant help me any further.

So the installer is done, and i looked for a launcher and found the 5.5g launcher. I opened it applied the features and video and gameplay recommendations found in the manual instructions, clicked run and nothing....  :banghead:

Help? Please?

CORRECTION!

A reboot fixed the issue with the run button, but now the game screen is offset, I only see a portion of the top left corner.

Offline Yarn

Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

When you run the game, is part of the desktop still visible, or is the unused area black?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Thanks and I found the fs2.log

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmmm.

Your log doesn't show anything extraordinary. Could you please make a screenshot of the problem (just press the Print Screen key while in-game, then look at the "screenshots" folder in your FS2 directory, convert the file to PNG and upload it here)?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I think its a resolution issue, I have mine cranked up al the way because im playing on my tv. I took a screen shot and it looks fine; however unless I crank the resolution down to the absolute lowest setting (and play in a tiny window) I only see a way zoomed in portion of the screen. For example when I get to the pilots roster after the cutscene, my game is zoomed in on the top left of the pilots roster. Also going to ask a friend how to convert .tga files to .jpeg or something similar >.<

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ah, I see the issue now. Unfortunately, FSO isn't really set up to work well with those zoom functions enabled (In tech speak, this is called a "High DPI setting"). The only way to get FSO to play nice under these circumstances (at this time, at any rate) is to set the zoom factor back to normal before starting the game.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

So in other words just keep the resolution low then?

Offline Yarn

I doubt an in-game screenshot would be sufficient. Instead, I suggest taking a photo of your screen while the game is running.

To verify whether this really could be a DPI-related issue, I want you to try setting your DPI to 100% (the default). Here's how to do it in English Windows 7:
  • Right-click the desktop.
  • Click "Personalize."
  • Click "Display" (located near the bottom of the sidebar).
  • Make sure that "Smaller - 100% (default)" is selected, then click "Apply." (If the DPI was already set to 100%, then the "Apply" button will be grayed out.)
  • You will be asked to log out to apply the change. Do so.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Ugh, It would be something as simple as that...  :banghead: well thank you gents, I'll stop bugging you now, until I decide to tweak something and blow my compy up.