Author Topic: List of upgraded campaigns 2017?  (Read 4509 times)

List of upgraded campaigns 2017?
The thread  "List of upgraded campaigns [updated 06/08/2014]" was a great idea and I thought it would be great if a new one was started to list all the campaigns that have been tested with MediaVPs_2014 or fsport-mediavps_2014 and the 3.7.5 EXE

Also maybe indicated which ones have been re-released with any improvements.  Any thoughts?

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Re: List of upgraded campaigns 2017?
It does make sense to do that yes, but the only two which fall into that category right now are Bem Cavalgar and Cardinal Spear.  I am starting work work though more at which time it would make sense to revisit it more thoroughly....
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline CT27

"The Aftermath:  Reboot" (released relatively recently is an update of "The Aftermath".

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Some of this info could be reported by Knossos, I think the discussion about mod info included the last-updated date being presented, so in theory that could be offered as a filter to the user (like "mods updated in the last 12 month")
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
When Knossos and Nebula get a version 1.0 release.. I imagine that would be an excellent time to fix up and make available through there a lot of our older campaigns. And if from then on, Knossos treats FSO Versions like a mod dependency, then it's going to be a very user-friendly way of making sure our community's mods are kept in a playable state for much, much longer periods of time.

The essential player clicks become "Browse -> Install -> Play" with an optional click for "Details".
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Yeah, I'm starting to make my way thru Battuta's list to make sure those are fixed up first.

Would it make sense from an installer perspective to bundle together campaigns that make little or no table / maps changes into a single, for instance, "classics" folder.  One example would be Destiny of Peace, Eagle Takes Flight and Tango could live togehter in one folder and be accessed thru the campaign room in the mainhall instead of being three separate individual items to install and switch to using something like wxlauncher.  Another example could be putting Sync and Trancend in one "bundle."  Thoughts?
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Maybe. If it were me, I'd refrain from doing that unless they have some story and/or author continuity. "The Cold Element Pack" or "The Blaise Russel Campaigns Pack".

(I know nothing about the campaigns you've listed, so that may be what you're already thinking.)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Would it make sense from an installer perspective to bundle together campaigns that make little or no table / maps changes into a single, for instance, "classics" folder.  One example would be Destiny of Peace, Eagle Takes Flight and Tango could live togehter in one folder and be accessed thru the campaign room in the mainhall instead of being three separate individual items to install and switch to using something like wxlauncher.  Another example could be putting Sync and Trancend in one "bundle."  Thoughts?
Maybe. If it were me, I'd refrain from doing that unless they have some story and/or author continuity. "The Cold Element Pack" or "The Blaise Russel Campaigns Pack".

(I know nothing about the campaigns you've listed, so that may be what you're already thinking.)
On the one hand, mjn has a point about continuity; we don't want to confuse people into thinking certain campaigns are meant to take place in the same continuity when they don't.

On the other hand, I think it makes a lot of sense, from a usability perspective, to put as many campaigns in a single mod as possible; when Blue Planet went from separate folders to "Blue Planet Complete", it became a lot more... I'm not sure if "user-friendly" is really the right term, but it's the only one that comes to mind. Convenient? Whatever; it became more likely that I would switch between campaigns because it became less effort to do so (not having to quit FSO and select a different mod). I know, they were already in the same continuity anyway... but I don't honestly think people would complain overmuch about "classic custom FS2 campaigns" being bundled into a single mod.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
"Classic" works as a mod pack as long as they actually are classics and not just "a bunch of campaigns that work together even if many of them are generally not played or talked about ever".

Because Knossos has a Digital Store Front aesthetic, there may be some precedent for duplication of small mods. A Blase Russel campaign, assuming it's mostly just mission files, would easily fit in Classics and a Blaise Russel pack. Just an idea.

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
Yeah, I'm starting to make my way thru Battuta's list to make sure those are fixed up first.

I'd be OK, but not with the "classics" word. Maybe something more along the line of "single player campaign pack" in shorter

The mention of Blaise Russel's works reminds me that I REALLY need to make some time to finish my self-imposed project of fixing the misuse of the break-warp, fix-warp, never-warp, and allow-warp SEXP calls in Homesick, so that it's safe to use the support ship once you get one available in the campaign.

And after that, perhaps I might look through the mission files in his other campaigns to make sure the same mistakes were not make elsewhere in his body of work.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.