Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 377692 times)

Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.2.1
no I'm not using Cygwin, also i forgot to say i tried to fix it by removing the properties file so it would not remember what i had installed. it didn't work so i replaced the original file. i also canceled a full install, might be a bit messy.

i hope this helps.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Transcend: The file 'Transcend.rar' could not be downloaded.
Windmills: The file 'Windmills.rar' could not be downloaded.
Sync: The file 'Sync.rar' could not be downloaded.

Offline rameths

Transcend: The file 'Transcend.rar' could not be downloaded.
Windmills: The file 'Windmills.rar' could not be downloaded.
Sync: The file 'Sync.rar' could not be downloaded.

Same here, used the logs themselves to grab the download urls and i downloaded manually without a hastle ? and installed manually but it still lists them as failed whereas a couple of others i did this to now show installed.
What a messy installer though why the frig cant mods be in a sublfolder \mods\ yuk base folder is a pig sty
Ill copy data and see if i can create a cleaner install for myself :)
Hopefully i can make sense of this lot and have a play with this awesome bunch of work

PS captcha sux, tried firefox ,opera winders noshow, firefox linux bingo it shows brr

Offline Siigari

Downloading now. Excited, been forever!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've uploaded version 2.3.0 with the following changes:

• Added the PATCH token for patching functionality (see below)
  • Fixed a couple esoteric bugs in downloading and extracting
  • Added wxLauncher to the mods selected by the "Basic" option
  • Removed the "Complete" option to lessen the server load on our generous hosts
  • Added a Windows executable option, thanks to m!m
  • Added the capability to download FSO builds from github, thanks to m!m
  • Improved OpenAL detection on Linux, thanks to ngld, niffiwan, and m!m
  • Add additional information to the log for ease in debugging
  • Minor code tweaks

You can now create binary diff files for mods to release updates via patches, rather than requiring a complete redownload of the affected file.  I have added these options to the FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar command line:

• Create a binary diff using the option diff, which can later be used for the PATCH token.  Example: java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar diff [algorithm] [file1] [file2].  If you omit any of the parameters, the Installer will prompt you for them.  Currently implemented algorithms are itadaki_bzip2, java_gzip, and xz.
  • Test patching a file using the option patch.  Example: java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar patch [source file] [diff file].  If you omit any of the parameters, the Installer will prompt you for them.

Here's an example of the PATCH option for mods:

Code: [Select]
PATCH
MD5
oldfile.vp
0F0F0F0F0F0F0F0F00F0F0F0F0F00F0F
SHA-1
patchFile
A49767C6CD9D9A5AB157F9FF75A4D5FA
SHA-1
newfile.vp
1A1A1A1A1A1A1A1AA1A1A1A1A1AA11A1

I have also updated the wiki.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:14:29 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.0
Apparently we have another case of the installer failing to install a mod (the MediaVPs 2014 in this case).
The screenshot shows the MediaVPs as installed but the FSO log shows that the MediaVPs folder is empty...
Could you add a check which marks a mod as uninstalled if its files are missing? That might avoid a lot of confusion.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Apparently we have another case of the installer failing to install a mod (the MediaVPs 2014 in this case).
The screenshot shows the MediaVPs as installed but the FSO log shows that the MediaVPs folder is empty...
Could you add a check which marks a mod as uninstalled if its files are missing? That might avoid a lot of confusion.

Without knowing more about his installation setup, I can't say exactly what went wrong, but people have found more and more creative ways to fool the installer.  There have been a few instances where people installed their mods to a folder other than the folder where FreeSpace is located, despite dialog boxes warning them about this.  Then, of course, the mod won't be available when they run the program.

There is already a check to reinstall a mod if its files are missing.  At the bottom of the screen, select the "Re-run installation for mods that are already installed and up to date" checkbox.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Can someone with access to http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/java/ransomarceihn.txt please update the links?
http://www.rateofinjury.com/campaigns/ should be https://rateofinjury.com/campaigns/ or https://staircasewit.ch/downloads/  (both work and are owned by the author)

The original links redirect to the new address but the installer apparently can't follow redirects. See also the posts above reporting that the downloads don't work.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 07:58:34 pm by ngld »

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Sorry, fixed it.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I updated the links, for both the fsoinstaller.com-hosted file and the indiegames.us-hosted file.

And the Installer can handle redirects, just not redirects from HTTP to HTTPS.

Inferno files land up in root folder. Please fix FOLDER in fsmods.net.txt or inferno.7z. ;)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Inferno files land up in root folder. Please fix FOLDER in fsmods.net.txt or inferno.7z. ;)

Thank you.  I had updated one host's fsmods.net.txt but not the other.  Both are updated now. :)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The fsoinstaller.com website still claims that you need to have FS2 installed and doesn't mention that the installer can extract the GOG installer with innoextract. Would be nice if you could clear that up to avoid confusing Linux or macOS users.

Offline blacky7

Hello, little help please. How to set one download at the time? For example i am trying to download "Between the Ashes" and it starts downloading everything what is inside that mod and then everything stops at almost 50 % percent...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I think it will resume stalled downloads.  So just pause / resume, or maybe if that doesn't work quit and choose the same options and it will pick up where it left off.  I think.

Also be aware it might just be stuck extracting and take a long time, so let it sit a while to be sure.  Also possible the progress bar is stuck.  Check Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Esc) Network tab and see if it's still using network.

Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1
Most users will simply run the jar directly, but there are a few command-line options available for power users:

• Set the maximum number of parallel downloads using the option -DmaxParallelDownloads=X, where X is any number >= 1.  Example: java -DmaxParallelDownloads=2 -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@Goober, The installer still installs wxLauncher 0.10.1 instead of 0.12.0-rc2 although a lot of problems seem to be fixed in the newer version. Could you please change that?

I'm presently having trouble with some mods failing checksum after installation, resulting in the files being deleted and requiring re-downloading.  Most notably jad221_anime.vp (which is big!).

Could someone double-check that all of the checksums are actually correct?

Offline Axem

I just looked all the JAD ones and the checksums from the installer file matches that of the ones currently hosted. I'm not sure why it occasionally fails, but I heard of other people having that issue. If there is something odd, it's not with the files.