Author Topic: Newbie Question  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Javert

Hi all,

I'm completely new to this and never played Freespaced 2 when it first came out, but now I would like to try it out.

I've purchased the game from GOG and I am currently running the freespace open installer that I downloaded from this site.

I took the option to install everything - is this ok if I want to first experience what the original game was like (but with upgraded graphics)?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Sure, that's fine. Run the launcher & select "MediaVPs 2014" as the current mod and you can play the original Freespace2 campaign with updated graphics. When you've done that, have a look at the rest of the mods the installer downloaded and pick one that takes your fancy. You could also check this guide for suggestions on what to play next.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Javert

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry for the silly question, but when you say "Run the launcher", which one?

In my install directory I have
"Launcher"
"yal_launcher"
"wxlaundher-0.10.1"

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I'd pick wxLauncher, that's probably an install file you've got there so run that, then once installed run wxLauncher itself, point it at the location you installed Freespace2 to (and presumably the same directory the installer put everything), pick a FS2_OPEN executable (3.7.4) and that's probably about it.

If you want to run the recently released FS2_OPEN 3.8.0 RC1, then you'll need to download & install wxLaucher 0.12 instead. The main draw card of that version would be even prettier graphics, but the downside is that it hasn't seen the same level of testing & bugfixing that 3.7.4 has.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Sure, that's fine. Run the launcher & select "MediaVPs 2014" as the current mod and you can play the original Freespace2 campaign with updated graphics. When you've done that, have a look at the rest of the mods the installer downloaded and pick one that takes your fancy. You could also check this guide for suggestions on what to play next.
[/font]I ran the launcher & selected to install all of the mods (shown in my download directory as "logs".  Before I open the game, How/where do I choose which mod to be applied to the game, and can this be repeated for each game opening?  :blah:
Metaphysical Theory:
Everything is One...You.  You are so much greater than the outline of your body.
Everything is Many...Objects. You are to the extent of your skin.
Reality is either or neither; herein lies the illusion

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
[/font]I ran the launcher & selected to install all of the mods (shown in my download directory as "logs".  Before I open the game, How/where do I choose which mod to be applied to the game, and can this be repeated for each game opening?  :blah:

In wxLauncher, you can choose the mod.  Keep in mind some some mods are simply upgrades of the retail campaign (MediaVPs).  Then, once the mod is chosen, in the FS2 main screen, you can go to the Campaign Room to select any campaigns included with that mod (for example, a mod based on FreeSpace 1 would, when chosen in wxLauncher, automatically load in FSPort to get the necessary FS1 files into the engine, and then add its own files, then you would choose that mod's Campaign to play it).
Eh, here, these are the retail campaigns:

FSPort: Freespace 1 converted to the FS2Open engine.  Choose FSPort MediaVPs for the version with prettier graphics (recommended)
     Silent Threat: FS1 expansion (chosen in the campaign room).  Recommended you use Silent Threat: Reborn instead as ST was considered pretty much rushed out the door and not up to :v: standards.

MediaVPs: FS2 upgraded with prettier graphics.  Recommended you choose this when you play FS2

PS: Some will tell you to skip FS1 as they don't like the storytelling style.  Up to you; I like to know the backstory, so take that as you will.

Thanks for pulling my coat jr2.
Metaphysical Theory:
Everything is One...You.  You are so much greater than the outline of your body.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Thanks for pulling my coat jr2.

Heh.  I had to look that up on urban dictionary.  I gotta say, with your avatar, that's kind of funny.  :lol:  You're very welcome.  Any further questions or discussions about the plot etc, feel free to bring them up in the respective boards here.

Yeh, it's an OG (original gangsta) Afro-American colloquial similar to "heads-up" used back in the day. Why not the wolf avatar, my username is Beowulf :banghead:  Btw, in the wxLauncher I chose both the complete install (all mods & optionals) and the Custom install (all the choices were already checked?) and in both cases no options were shown in the campaign room.  Only the main FreeSpace 2 campaign!?  Wasup with that?  What am I missing? :(
Metaphysical Theory:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yeh, it's an OG (original gangsta) Afro-American colloquial similar to "heads-up" used back in the day. Why not the wolf avatar, my username is Beowulf :banghead:  Btw, in the wxLauncher I chose both the complete install (all mods & optionals) and the Custom install (all the choices were already checked?) and in both cases no options were shown in the campaign room.  Only the main FreeSpace 2 campaign!?  Wasup with that?  What am I missing? :(

You have to get wxLauncher working correctly (see my other post, try removing wxLauncher and installing it to its own folder) first, then choose the mods from wxL.

Also, re: your avatar, I meant, you said "thanks for pulling my coat" and my immediate thought was "thanks for pulling my coat of fur" (wait, does he mean a wolf likes having his hair combed?? what?!)  The meaning came across the same anyways.  Cheers, and let me know if you get wxL sorted, if not, we'll try some more things.