Author Topic: More Resolution *.exe for MCG?  (Read 2755 times)

More Resolution *.exe for MCG?
This goes right into direction of magic, a MCG-DH-v4.0 user asked me for more Desktop-Resolutions. In his matter it would be 1.024x600 resolution (Widescreen for Netbooks). But it´s not the first request for different resolutions i´ve got. I would like to make/get some more MCXResolution.exe files like shown here:
I was asked / thought about these additional resolutions for In-Mission graphics:
1.024x600 (WSVGA) -> most wanted
1.152x768 -> low priority
1.280x800 (WXGA) -> several request
800x480 (WVGA) -> just for fun / older systems
If i ask - is it possible to create those - or maybe giving me a tutorial at hand how to get those changes done myself in order to enlarge the visual broadband MCG has to offer?

Regards RizZ

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:51:26 pm by RizZen »
It has become appalingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Albert Einstein

Offline magic

Re: More Resolution *.exe for MCG?
I have written somewhere how it is done...
Will try to find...

FADAMNtastic! I owe you a cold one...

Albert Einstein

Ehhm I don't wanna be impatient but ... knock knock? Just few hints would be helpful...

Albert Einstein

Offline magic

Its all about changing contents of two addresses with hex editor.

I cant remember, sorry... (nor I can find it...)

Okay - but may you remember if possibly the correct figures are used in these lines? I can maybe find the code-part when i know a rather direction where to search - such like it was in the beginning/end of the document - would be helping very much.
What also would help when you may try to ask brain cells again and maybe can recover a hint - is 1024 = 0400 or 0004 ? - are the values stored crypted like numbers of other things in game? - Sry to give all those questions - but being able to make these changes personally would allow me to offer a never existent before bandbroad of new resolutions to play for ALL monitors. So ANY - I mean ANY THING you remember may help me to do the changes myself - like i´ve done to the whole game version before.

BTW you became one of my FAVOURITE ingame mech pilots ^^

Albert Einstein

Sry for DP & bumping... but... :

H-E-U-R-E-K-A!!!

Today i found out how to create more resolution game *.exe files to make playing the game comfortable on all imagineable monitor-systems, those are the new available resolutions for MechCommander. They will not only work with Darkest Hours no...  - they work on each standalone full-version of the game, original & customer campaigns:

New Resolutions
- 640x480 (4:3 - Uncracked)
- 800x480 (Widescreen - VGA)
- 800x600 (4:3 - SVGA)
- 1024x600 (Widescreen [Netbook] - SVGA)
- 1280x600 (Netbookmonitors)
- 1280x800 (Netbookmonitors)
- 1152x768 (3:2)
- 1600x1200 (4:3 UXGA)
- 1680x1050 (Widescreen WSXGA+)
Read more about resolutions and how to start game after mounting it´s *.iso.

Notice: To play 640x480(only menu fullscreen)/800x480/800x600/1024x600 & 1280x600 you have to change Resolution entry to 0. Preset of Darkest Hours is 2 which means game starts with 1024x768 minimum. 0 means 640x480 minimum. When you dislike changing entries in PREFS.CFG manually you can download this optional PREFS.CFG-downgrade (below). This file needs to be pasted into main Darkest Hours game folder replacing the older version by overwriting it.

Down to present day magic from hard-light productions where the only one who have created some resolution *.exe files for MechCommander. Today i created nine additional resolutions to close up the missing GAP within different Widescreen and 4:3 resolution game offers. Magic was the one giving me the deciding information of how the game.exe files where changed to have different ingame resolutions. My bad magic couldn´t remember the exact position of entries which had to be changed to effort more resolutions. So finally i found out myself how it´s been done decades ago. Magic told me that only two certain adresses of hexadecimalcode defining the ingame resolution. To find those i only needed to compare all existent *.exe files, finding the differences and at which Entry-Line they are in. I could isolate two certain adresses and found out that resolutions are stored within two bites of code in a small code XX-YY. They where exchanged like it is usual in hexfiles.

On basis of this knowledge i created some copies and edited them to make all imagineable missing resolutions available. My first testing was only game menu and some solo- & campaign-missions but game was stable on all resolutions i have created. For information about resolutions visit this thread.

My hope is that more diversity with resolutions help more players to find a way to start playing the game without resolution-crashes cause of wrong desktop resolution or special monitor size and format. Just take the resolution of your desktop to make sure game is running smooth. Have fun with new resolutions, dear mechcommander community.

Regards RizZen

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:49:27 pm by RizZen »

Albert Einstein