Author Topic: Questions about this mod and the editor  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Graywar

Questions about this mod and the editor
Hi everyone!

After years of playing Wolfman-X, I recently discovered Omnitech, which is superior in almost every way. But since I am a bit of a noob when it comes to MC2 editing, I've got a few questions about Omnitech and editing:

1. I noticed that some of the Mechs have different skins than most other mechs. For example, the Timberwolf has lots of grey all over it and the colors are quite dark, while most of the other mechs (Centurion for example) have a more typical MC2 look. Why is that? It also leads to my second question...

2. I wanted to use the Timberwolf and Mad Dog in my campaign, but because they don't fit in with the other mechs (skin-wise), I thought of using the Mad Cat and Vulture (although I don't like the MW4 Vulture look) instead. However, the problem now is the name. Mad Cat and Vulture have the IS names while all other clan mechs use the clan names. While playing through Exodus I noticed that the Timberwolf in that campaign actually uses the Mad Cat Model. How do I do that? Or is there any way to rename the mechs, so I can give all clan mechs the IS names (my campaign is played from an IS point of view after all)?

3. I played around a bit with the Purchase File Editor. But I noticed that I can't change the variants that are for sale. For example, I can only buy the Shadowhawk SHD-2D. How to change that, so I can by the SHD-5M, for example?

4. I wanted to change some of the pilots. I noticed that this can be done in the pmw data found in missions/warriors. But when I change those values, doesn't it affect all campaigns instead of just my campaign? Is there a way to edit a mechwarrior only for my campaign?

5. I would also like to know how add different ground textures. No overlays or anything, I mean just like they did with the mountains in the original MC2 Campaign (for example adding a rocky texture for the mountain and a snow texture for the top).

Thanks in advance!

Offline magic

Re: Questions about this mod and the editor
Thank you for downloading and playing MCO.

Most of those mechs with dark texture are made by another 3D modeller. I have already replaced Timberwolf with my model, because those two mechs have some problem and can cause crushes in mission. Those are very good models, but I dont have models for those and I can not find the problem, nor re-texture. Will replace Mad dog too.

I MCO 304, MadCat is my old Timberwolf model from 2003-2004. I have many changes since 304. I can recommend you to use existing Timberwolf and Maddog models, because they will be replaced in new release. Mision format is not changed and I dont plan to change it (at least not soon).

3: Purchase file editor is not done by me and I dont have source code files. It has a few bugs...
In order to change purchase variant open purchase file in notepad and add:

st Mech0 = "HunchbackIIC"
st Mech1 = "Jenner"
l MechVariant1 = 1

st Mech2 = "Centurion"
l MechVariant2 = 2

Line: l MechVariantX = Variant number from mech.csv file (found in data/objects)

only for mechs that you want other variant - different from default (0) - st MechX =...

All mechs without variant line will be dafulted to variant 0.

Thats the only way for now. I have a plan to make pilot creation screen where the player can create his own pilot using sample cartooned pics or even importing his own, thats one of many in my to do list.

For that you will have to know how to use photoshop or similar program and do this by combining different textures. Generate final texture from the editor then redesign it (make it better) using some other phot-realistic (or not) texture of better quality and in the end add snow on top of the mountains with some effect (or not) and with opacity (or not).

Offline Graywar

Thanks for the answers.

Now I've got a few more questions, if you don't mind.

I figured the variants thing out after read your "How to make purchase and salvage files" post, however now I have a new question regarding this. I noticed you can change how many components are available by using "l CompCountX = Y". Can this be done for mechs, so I can make multiple mechs of the same type available?

I experimented a bit with mechwarrior brains. I tested a brain example named "Guard_Patrol". It works fine so far, the mech almost behaves like I wanted it to. The only issue is that it runs. I want it to walk, not to run. Is it possible to do that?

And about that texture thing, would you mind to go more into detail? I'm not sure if I understood that. I don't have Photoshop but I have a bit of experience using GIMP.

Offline magic

Thanks for the answers.

Now I've got a few more questions, if you don't mind.

I figured the variants thing out after read your "How to make purchase and salvage files" post, however now I have a new question regarding this. I noticed you can change how many components are available by using "l CompCountX = Y". Can this be done for mechs, so I can make multiple mechs of the same type available?

I experimented a bit with mechwarrior brains. I tested a brain example named "Guard_Patrol". It works fine so far, the mech almost behaves like I wanted it to. The only issue is that it runs. I want it to walk, not to run. Is it possible to do that?

And about that texture thing, would you mind to go more into detail? I'm not sure if I understood that. I don't have Photoshop but I have a bit of experience using GIMP.

About the number of mechs available for purchase, I dont really know (I made to many changes to often there), will have to look. There was a number for available mechs but I think I removed it because of damage transfer from mission to logistics...

EDIT: If you want more of the same mech variant you will have to add that mech more times to the purchase file.

About textures,

1. There is a file mission.tga - base mission texture.
2. misson.burning.tga (can be converted to jpg for distrbution) - mission file with generated shadows...

Open that burning.tga and experiment. Have you ever tried to do texture over texture for some effect or to simply replace the background. I dont know what GIMP can do you will have to try.

About running:

open brain file and find:

corerun = True;

change to False and unit will not run.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:37:59 am by magic »

Offline Graywar

Thanks for your answers, they really help.

Now I've got a new problem: I want to make a Mission similar to the one in original MC2 where you have to rescue Claymore. I want a friendly mech to power up and being added to the player's force for the rest of the mission once the player reaches a certain place (and the mech and its pilot should stay with the player for the rest of the campagin), just like they did with Claymore (or with Mystique in MC1). I experimented a bit with brains and player settings and such, but haven't found a solution yet. How can I do that?

Offline magic

There are two ways to do that:

Old MC2 way - place mech at the spot you want and set it to team1 (player). Then damage that mech (hit "D" key). In mission when your force get visual on that mech it will be added to your force. In 304 you will have to make sure that the pilot is in all purchase files from there to the rest of the campaign. In latest version of MCO, it will be automatically added to your pilot roster (it is compatible with old version).

Place the mech on the spot and make it team2 (enemy). Create NULL brain (do nothing) and add it to that mech in mission.FIT file. Set condition in mission.abl file where your force is near - add that mech to player roster and set its brain to "pBrain". This one is for more complicated conditions.

Offline Graywar

Old MC2 way - place mech at the spot you want and set it to team1 (player). Then damage that mech (hit "D" key). In mission when your force get visual on that mech it will be added to your force. In 304 you will have to make sure that the pilot is in all purchase files from there to the rest of the campaign. In latest version of MCO, it will be automatically added to your pilot roster (it is compatible with old version).
Hm, that kinda sucks because I wanted to make the mission optional. You don't have to do the mission, but if you do it, you'll get the pilots and their mechs. I guess I have to rethink the idea, or I will probably just wait for the new version.

Offline magic

It will be OK in later version. In newest version pilot will be added to players pilot roster if you do the mission you will have that pilot if dont...

In MCO there is a pilot roster, you can hire/fire pilots. Every pilot that is added in mission goes to players pilot roster.