Author Topic: Nebula and Skyboxes  (Read 9314 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

May or may not be related, but there is code pending that, to quote:
Quote from: Sushi
Adds +Fog Near Mult: and +Fog Far Mult: to the .fs2 file, allowing mission-specific changes to fog render distance. This doesn't affect the way the poofs are drawn, just the models.

It's still pending tests and the interface elements to FRED and may no precisely address all elements raised in this thread, but it's something at any rate and will likely be showing up as soon as FRED controls are made for it and it's been further tested.

It's been "pending FRED integration" for months and months. :) I'd do it myself, but lacking VS Professional, I can't compile FRED. So if you want it, bug one of the other SCP guys to do it. :)

Just to be clear, you are talking about this [SCP internal] patch?  Since I am futzing around with FRED anyway I will do it tonight if Zacam or Karajorma don't beat me to it.

Yep, that's the one. All it needs is FRED integration.

A SEXP for mid-mission changes might be nice too, but I can do that just fine on my own. :)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that otta fix the haze issue nicely.

no it won't, unless you make it so far it's effectively infinite, in which case no fogging will be applied. once an object reaches the end of the fog distance it will blink out (or in if moving the other way) this is because once you reach maximum fog distance you are supposed to be the same color as the backgrund, and thus don't need to be drawn anymore, unless the background is a different color then the fog (as in the case with a skybox), the only way to fix this (without losing the performance benefit of distance culling) is to make sure you fade to what is behind you.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
POP!!

Next thing we need (I'm assuming that its not included in this update) is sexps to control these in-mission.  That way, a FREDder could place waypoints and use variables based on distance between the player and the waypoints to control how thick a nebula is, allowing for clear pockets to be created.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Luis Dias

That's actually a pretty idea, to use distances between said waypoints and alpha1, since it creates smoothed transitions. But the equations and implementations should be discussed. There is the potential to screw it up bigtime. Suppose you have a waypoint in 0,0,0 with maxfogdistance of 10 000. Then you have a waypoint in 0,0,2000 with mfd of 2000. And you have a ship located @ 0,0,6000.

If you'd go straight ahead, you'd see the ship, then you wouldn't, then you'd see it again, in a very unrealistical way.

OTOH, it could possibly create mesmerizing experiences (a la Ransom).

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The nebula fog options are now in a Knightly build... no sexps yet though.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
POP!!

Next thing we need (I'm assuming that its not included in this update) is sexps to control these in-mission.  That way, a FREDder could place waypoints and use variables based on distance between the player and the waypoints to control how thick a nebula is, allowing for clear pockets to be created.

Keep in mind, for that effect to look good, you'd probably also need to dynamically change the nebula poofs. The changes here do NOT affect the nebula poofs: just how far away things are rendered. It may look odd for the fog to "thin" but the poofs keep looking the same.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Well, in the Asteroids and Nebula thread, I also suggested a means of increasing the distance between nebula poofs as a way of complimenting the fog thing to make nebulae appear thinner, but there was already some code in place for fog control (in objecttypes.tbl) so it appeared the most likely to get implemented.  The fog controls are at least a start.  If we could combine this with fog sexps and similar controls for poof distances, then we should have quite a system in-place.

Offline Luis Dias

Dunno. I think this is one of those cases of "wait and see". And lots of iterations, prepare for that. It will be very strange to see the background almost clear and then seeing it fade away while you are traveling towards it... or not.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
:bump:

Sorry for about 5 years old necro but I'm diggin', diggin' and... Well, diggin'. And I found nothing :(.

Maybe I'm stupid and I don't know where I should look for some solution. I remember someone did something with post processing table. Was this ever solved?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
:bump:

Sorry for about 5 years old necro but I'm diggin', diggin' and... Well, diggin'. And I found nothing :(.

Maybe I'm stupid and I don't know where I should look for some solution. I remember someone did something with post processing table. Was this ever solved?

This is a 5 year necro... I'm not going to go back and re-read this whole thread... could you explain what you are actually looking for? kthx.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
The problem is when I'm using skybox in nebula mission. Silhouettes of all ships are visible at large distances. Without skybox distant ships are in the same color as nebula and are invisible, but with skybox silhouettes are constantly visible. This is not a major issue, but the coolness of nebula missions are exactly because you can hide ships in gas :D.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.