Author Topic: AI evades long range missiles  (Read 1760 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
AI evades long range missiles
We all know the AI is bad at dodging trebs. They evade and pump countermeasures way too late.

Is this because the AI's evade behavior triggers at a set distance from the missile, and Trebs are very high-speed? (If so, this is the same reason birds often hit airplanes in real life: they don't adjust their dodge distance based on the plane's speed!)

If that is true, could we get an AI profile flag, something like $Missile Evade Distance Scales: YES that would cause the AI to adjust its evade behavior based on the missile's speed?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: AI evades long range missiles
I haven't checked but I'm sure what you describe is the problem, i.e. the AI doesn't dodge soon enough.  It also doesn't help that countermeasures only have a default effective radius of 300m (which I'm sure the AI account for), many Treb engagements are head-on, and with a velocity of 280 + targets forward velocity (plus possibly the launchers forward velocity?) there's less than a 1 sec window to pop a countermeasure. I know *I* always dodge Trebs rather than decoy them. 

Anyway, probably can be done, since it's AI code probably not trivial unfortunately.

Fun fact, Trebs speed is 280, Harpoons are 250, so they're not really very-high-speed :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
And what about higher velocities of up to 500 m/s? Surprisingly my fighters and bombers were able to evade missiles much like Ace Combat and Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Tell us more! What sort of AI options are you using, what sort of speeds are your fighters flying at, are the missiles closing head on or is it a tail-chasing situation?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
I'm using AI options of that of Fury's: Chance AI Has to Fire Missiles at Player, evasion, etc.

Speeds my fighters flying at 500 m/s.

Missiles on both closing head and a tail-chasing situation.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Just checking in! Do we have any idea if this is actually a particular problem with the Treb, or is the AI just real bad at evading face shots?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
:nervous: Needs more testing to figure out what on earth the AI is doing upon receiving a Treb.
----
----

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
A Treb or something similar, niffiwan and General Battuta.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template