Author Topic: HUD Targeting Brackets  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
HUD Targeting Brackets
Despite the introduction of the HUD gauges and Yarn's HUD scaling and resolution fix, there are shortcomings - one that prevents us from changing the HUD visuals to be completely different from FreeSpace, and what modern computer and video games (this year) did.

What is needed is several additions and fixes, and that means opening up new possibilities for HUD designers, while getting rid of the hard-coded limitations that hobbed modders for years.

The answer is pretty obvious: the HUD targeting brackets. Corners of the targeting brackets have been unchanged since 1998. Under my suggestion, targeting bracket corners can be changed and/or have vertex/geometry/fragment shaders applied to not only them, but also other HUD gauges as well. The numbers of the targeting bracket corners can be changed arbitrarily, for example, 5 to 8, or 2 to 3, instead of only 4.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: HUD Targeting Brackets
You can do it already.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 02:55:32 pm by -Joshua- »

Offline zookeeper

Can you do an overwatch style red outline? http://eriktwicereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Overwatch.4.GraphicalEffects.jpg

I'm afraid not. :( Outlines aren't really something you could script.

That seems like exactly the sort of thing you'd do with shaders
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline zookeeper

I'm pretty sure you generally can't do outlines in shaders only. It more or less needs the engine to do most of the work.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I recall there was a CEL shader that did outlines.  I think that was pre-deferred rendering though so the shaders probably won't work with the current version of FSO.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
That's good.

However, the description on target brackets shows only two valid sub-entries: Font and Dot Filename. There's no Filename nor Shader sub-entries.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...