Author Topic: Oculus Rift HMD  (Read 27813 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
While it's most likely very expensive (for now), I think it'd be great if FS could someday work with Oculus Rift and other, similar devices that will soon inevitably appear. I think VR is the future of gaming, considering immersion it allows.
It's funny...people said the same thing around 1994 or so. :p
and have been saying it. and repeating it and repeating and repeating...
And it seems they've all been right. :) The technology required for this is getting cheaper and cheaper, computers are getting more powerful and games more immersive. If Oculus Rift is going to cost about 300$, it means it's clearly possible to make an affordable VR headset with today's technology. Somebody just has to do it and become successful enough to be copied. I believe we'll see a day in which VR will stop being the future of gaming and start being a standard everybody would support.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
this one is different in that it seems to use a single screen for both eyes. this has the up side of being able to do a simultaneous eye rendering. meaning no left right flicker. refresh is still an issue, carmack was talking about most of the alloted 20 miliseconds to keep the effect convincing is used up just scanning out the frame (that doesnt account for the render time or the time neccisary to poll input devices like head trackers, and the time wasted by the os). ive actually had issues like that in my electronics projects where data sits in a buffer for several milliseconds, waiting to be used causing serious lag in the various control systems. he said something about 120 hz beeing better for something like this, which would half the scanout time from 16 to 8 ms. its fun to watch john break down the amount of time everything takes to happen.

rendering looks like it renders both eyes to the same frame buffer. looks like you could **** with the projection matrix to render to one side, and then set it up again and render the other side, maybe using some stencil buffer majic there (im going to play with my game engine and see if its possible). im not sure if this is something that will fly with differed lighting and such, but idk. carmack mentions that other than doing the split screen thing he had to use a pixel shader to handle the warp correction neccisary to really sell the effect. that video was a good watch, you learn **** about vr that you never knew.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 08:40:45 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
Watch the 2012 QuakeCon Keynote. John Carmack goes into great Detail about the current state of VR in there. Also talks long about the Rift Device and its pros and cons. Basically what we have here right now is the START. This is the first time we have the technology to make VR work reasonably well. BUT its not there yet completely. The Rift is the first step into the right direction and something that John recommends to people that like to experiment on the bleeding edge of technology. Hell yeah playing FS in VR sounds awesome but i'd wait 2 or 3 Years personally.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
yea wait till they at least have a consumer product. right now they have dev kits and are planning to produce a diy headset kit. when they get past that stage (which will likely take the 2 or 3 years you mention) and it becomes a consumer product you can buy and implement, then would be the time to pounce on it. i just want something that isnt dependent on a particular api. so many technologies have come and gone because of this kind of api limitation.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
in theory at least as or most probably less disorientating as Track IR when set up properly because you look forwards relative to your body and that is forwards, look left and that is left, there is no turn your head slightly and wait for your screen to scroll to where you want it.

The delay between your head turning and the in-game camera turning with Freetrack should be imperceptible, if it's set up properly and your computer has the resources for it.

sorry not quite what I meant, what I am trying to get at is that you cant look 90 degrees left with Track IR because then you are not able to look at the monitor so I presume there is either a movement scaler or you have to look left and wait for the program to turn the view to 90 degrees, both of which bring in an element of disorientation because they are not how reality works, which a system like this would not have.

Oh, yeah, you can set up response curves and adjust sensitivity and stuff in freetrack (and I assume in trackIR). It's not that hard to get used to.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
But how much publicity would it get us if we were one of the launch-ready titles making good use of the technology?  /Devil's advocate
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
But how much publicity would it get us if we were one of the launch-ready titles making good use of the technology?  /Devil's advocate

certainly an interesting possibility if a coder with the relevant/interest to learn the relevant skills is prepared to work on it
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
in theory at least as or most probably less disorientating as Track IR when set up properly because you look forwards relative to your body and that is forwards, look left and that is left, there is no turn your head slightly and wait for your screen to scroll to where you want it.

The delay between your head turning and the in-game camera turning with Freetrack should be imperceptible, if it's set up properly and your computer has the resources for it.

sorry not quite what I meant, what I am trying to get at is that you cant look 90 degrees left with Track IR because then you are not able to look at the monitor so I presume there is either a movement scaler or you have to look left and wait for the program to turn the view to 90 degrees, both of which bring in an element of disorientation because they are not how reality works, which a system like this would not have.

Oh, yeah, you can set up response curves and adjust sensitivity and stuff in freetrack (and I assume in trackIR). It's not that hard to get used to.

i dont think that will be an issue with hmds. trackir is way more sensitive cause you need to keep your eyes on the monitor, also you are severely angle limited because of the reflectors you probibly couldn't do optical head tracking with an hmd. with an hmd on the other hand you kinda want the virtual head in the game to do the exact same thing as your real head. for that you can just stick a 6 axis imu in the thing and call it a day, thanks to the ever decreasing cost of gyros and accelerometers (which when coupled together can track absolute position fairly well).

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
is the FOV of this thing 90 or 110 degrees? you mentioned 90 but i'm pretty sure isn't correct.
So,if i understand correctly, it needs a specific code for the stereoscopic vision, but do you know if it works good whit the ''normal'' 2d?

That said, we could always stick our trackclip pro to the visor and use it as always :)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline ShinAli

is the FOV of this thing 90 or 110 degrees? you mentioned 90 but i'm pretty sure isn't correct.
So,if i understand correctly, it needs a specific code for the stereoscopic vision, but do you know if it works good whit the ''normal'' 2d?

That said, we could always stick our trackclip pro to the visor and use it as always :)

It is 90 degrees horizontal, the 110 degrees comes from the diagonal field of view. Vertically, the field of view is so wide that looking up and down with your eyes wouldn't reveal any borders, or so I have read from most reports.

I've ordered a dev kit for the Rift, mostly because I'm bad with money but also been convinced by John Carmack pushing on this thing. I'm fancying myself as a game programmer/graphics nerd so I can look into implementing Rift support once I have my hands on the SDK, which might come out before I get my hands on the headset. FreeSpace is easily one of my favorite games and would be pretty exciting to play it with the Rift. Hopefully it'll live up to all the hype the press is doing over it.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
yep, i'm following it into MTBS3d forum and it's pretty awesome! People that tested it saw that it was incredible and the immersion factor  is stunning....can't wait to but one of this things... but in the meantime i think i'll try to make my custom HMD.
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Just wondering if any coders have ordered a development kit for the Oculus Rift from Kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

If so what do you think the chances of getting FreeSpace to work well with it are? Obviously it won't look great because of the low resolution though but it would be so immersive, the ability to look around would be so great. You could have a real cockpit. I am giddy with the thought of it.

Glen

Yes coders have one being delivered soon. Yes they plan to add support to FSO. (At least I will for myself if no one else plans to.)

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
To all newcomers
:welcome:
If you really intend to work on this stuff, I'm curious how it turns out!
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Have any coders pre-ordered a devkit already? If no one has, I'll be interested in taking a gander into adding rift support.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Having rift support in FS engine would be great...anyway seems that in MTBS3d some programmer is developing some free software for non native rift games.
The main issue is that works with directx and not OpenGL...so some direct support from inside the HLP would be fantastic :)

Offline Swifty

That can't be true. Oculus Rift is supported in Doom 3 BFG Edition which is OpenGL. It has nothing to do with the APIs but just how you deliver the framebuffer.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its essentially just a single monitor with a split screen thing going on. render the scene once from one eye to half of the frame buffer, and render the frame for the other eye to the other half of the frame buffer. both apis can do this. while driver level support for stereo falls flat on its ass, this approach does everything in game code. from eye shift to split screen right down to fisheye correction done in the shader.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Have any coders pre-ordered a devkit already? If no one has, I'll be interested in taking a gander into adding rift support.

Yes. I have one being delivered in march. Been looking for something like exactly like FSO to add support to.

Offline Swifty

Well if your OpenGL is up to snuff, I say go for it. How familiar are you with rendering programming in general?

Hm, ja... and if nothing speaks against it add rendering paralax'd frames to quad frame buffers subsequently at first, so everybody with a Quadro card could run SCP in S3D :)