Author Topic: Oculus Rift HMD  (Read 27810 times)

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
i ordered my Dev kit....i'd like to make some lens experiment for increase the Fov.

can't wait :)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Okay, I just attended Valve's Occulus Rift talk at GDC this afternoon. They mentioned a lot of pitfalls in implementing support for the device, especially when it comes to UI and HUD. Because of this, I'm not sure I can trust someone not familar with either the Freespace Open codebase or OpenGL with implementing proper support. Einhander, we really need to have a discussion over if you are entirely sure you will be able to implement Rift support on your own.

Here's a quick demo of a space sim that somebody is working on for the Oculus Rift:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UgY_MiUWqBY#at=58

What do we need to do to get OR support into Freespace? Is there any way I can help (without having any experience with the Freespace source code)?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
buy all the wizards dev kits.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Dont know if this discussion can help, but someone are tryin'to implement openGLSL for Oculus rift:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17081
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
this is the fisheye correction shader you need to use to compensate for the lens distortions.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

And who are the wizards?

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Valathil is a wizard.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Hey Val, tell me you're waiting for the OR devkit and you'll start to work on FS2O inplementation ! if not, i suggest to all HLP tobuy a devkit for Val and force it to work on the code ;P

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
No thanks, I'd rather he works on cool stuff.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Swifty

Valathil is a wizard.

And I'm not? :P

How come people always call Valathil a wizard but never me? :(
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:25:49 pm by Swifty »

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Why, all the SCP coders are wizards, dont'cha know? :D

And they all deserve OR dev kits...

Offline Swifty

In all seriousness, I'm still waiting for Einhander to respond because he expressed interest in implementing Occulus Rift support for FSO. If he's not responding, I'm going to take that as a sign that I should start on this on my own.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
No thanks, I'd rather he works on cool stuff.

well i figure with rift support going in they would also do things like implement native anaglyph and shutter glasses support that more people could make use of.  having a two eye framework and multiple head tracking sources all neatly integrated. that way they dont limit stereo support to just one device.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I'd still rather they work on cool stuff instead.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
And I'm not? :P

Swifty is also a wizard.

I was originally going to post all the graphical SCP coders I knew off the top of my head, but then realized I could only remember Val at the time. :p

I'd still rather they work on cool stuff instead.

Boo hoo hoo, not every feature that get's worked on is going to be one you want.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

haters gonna hate
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

In all seriousness, I'm still waiting for Einhander to respond because he expressed interest in implementing Occulus Rift support for FSO. If he's not responding, I'm going to take that as a sign that I should start on this on my own.

It is something I'm planning to work on. But it's something I was planning to do on my own because it didn't appear there was a whole ton of interest. That said, it's become lower priority with recent life events so feel free to start if you want. I don't think I would have necessary time to dedicate to doing it in a timely fashion right now. Hope that helps.

I'm definitely interested to try out FS2 with the Oculus Rift, so it'd be great to see more progress in that regard. I think the interest is certainly there especially among the people that are going to use the Rift with Star Citizen, so getting it to work and getting the word out could lead to a lot more people checking out Freespace and HLP.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell