Author Topic: Skybox textures  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Rolf

Here Is a skybox texture I made using Space Engine, I was wondering if you would like to use it in the mod. Please note that the image is just a space engine preview of the skybox, the actual textures are in a zip file, but that seems too large to upload at the moment. Tell me what you guys think of the preview and I'll try uploading the actual textures.

(NOTE: the sun and stars will not be as bright in the actual textures as they are in this preview.)

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
I don't have much experience with skyboxes so I can't really say much based on the preview alone. If you can get the actual one uploaded somewhere then that'd be great. What size is the actual texture? As far as I can tell, 4096^2 seems to be the minimum for good-looking skyboxes.

Offline Rolf

I don't have much experience with skyboxes so I can't really say much based on the preview alone. If you can get the actual one uploaded somewhere then that'd be great. What size is the actual texture? As far as I can tell, 4096^2 seems to be the minimum for good-looking skyboxes.

What would be the most desirable format for the textures?

Is it possible to use Space Engine to make 6-frame procedural planetary textures?

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
What would be the most desirable format for the textures?

Well, png tends to be the best, but any lossless format will do. If you have some kind of layered file for it (pnd, xcf, psd, etc) then of course that's nice to have.

Offline Rolf

Is it possible to use Space Engine to make 6-frame procedural planetary textures?

You mean like the skybox? I'm not sure, here's the post which explains the texture export process.

Offline Rolf

I had completely forgotten about this topic.

here is an example of Space Engine skybox textures in PNG format at 4096 resolution:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r1p8xhb4hov84d/Hoth%20skybox.zip?dl=0

Tell me what you think, and if you would like any more. I used a modified version of RockoRocks Star Wars planet systems addon from the Space Engine forums.