Author Topic: AoA crash on initial cutscenes  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Astrac

AoA crash on initial cutscenes
Hello,

first of all thank you for the great effort in keeping one of the best type of games still alive and kicking! I played Freespace2 and I loved it so I am eager to play the Blueplanet mods but I am experiencing some issues when trying to start the campaign.

I am on Windows 7 64bit, I have a fresh installation of Freespace2 obtained using the recently released FreespaceOpenInstaller program and I chose fs2_open_3_7_2_RC4_SSE as my game executable. I downloaded also the MediaVP_2014 and the "enhanced graphics" option for both blueplanet and blueplanet2.

My issue is that, when I start the campaign and in the opening cutscene the ships begin the jump, the game suddenly crash with the classical "The program has stopped working" windows dialog. This is the content of fs2_open.log: http://pastebin.com/U30rXndy

Any help will be most appreciated, thank you!

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Re: AoA crash on initial cutscenes
You're using an Intel HD Graphics card. Unfortunately, due to the specific model, you will need to disable the following:

Code: [Select]
  -post_process
  -fxaa
  -fb_explosions

Also, add -no_glsl to your command line.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Astrac

Thank you for the answer, I'll try this as soon as I get back from work.

By the way, I am on an NVida Optimus powered laptop (i.e. I have two graphic cards, an HD Intel Graphics and an NVidia chipset), so it that's the problem does it mean that the game is not using the NVidia card? Is there any configuration I need to provide to switch that on?

Thank you again anyway!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It's in the nvidia control panel, add the FSO exe to the profiles and tell it to use the nvidia. Not very specific, I know, it's been a while.

However, with mine, that setting seems to be ignored last time I tried. It's only FSO and a few other old games  that ignore this.

Here let me fire up my laptop and show you.

EDIT: (using my wife's laptop cause it's closer lol -- same setup though)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:51:54 am by jr2 »

Offline Astrac

OK, with @DahBlount setting changes I could get past the opening sequence. I also tried configuring the system in order to use the NVidia graphic card but it didn't work, so I can only play disabling those options.

I'll have a look into this, but for now many thanks!  ;)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Err..  Had to dig for this :

Could you try an antipodes build? The OpenGL context is created by SDL which might be different from what FSO currently does.

I never tried that as I only just got my laptop running.   Try it and see if it uses nvidia.