Author Topic: I guess Bungie really digs Blue Planet.  (Read 6028 times)

I guess Bungie really digs Blue Planet.
Friend of mine pointed this out to me today, figured you guys might get a kick out of it.

http://destiny.gamepedia.com/%22Steel_Atreus%22

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: I guess Bungie really digs Blue Planet.
Battuta

Yeah, blame Battuta. I think there's also a couple of ship names from BP as well.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Where is Battuta anyway?  I haven't seem him post in a while.  Busy with the destiny launch and his book release, maybe?
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
most likely.  the launch will be a big deal taking up a lot of time and effort, though given what I understand to be his position perhaps not affecting battua's workload that much.   I imaging the company needs to be looking hard at its next step/product so I suspect that is where his attention is at the moment and it may be a little while before we hear anything significant if that's the case.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

I totally forgot Battuta ended up with a job at Bungie. Welp, explains that then.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Battuta left Bungie a few weeks ago and moved(/is moving?) back to New York to focus on writing.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

Don't blame him at all, after seeing the ****fest that was Destiny's ... ahemm... "writing".

Well, the stuff in the grimoire is pretty good. Problem is the grimoire isn't, you know, in the game or anything.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Battuta left Bungie a few weeks ago and moved(/is moving?) back to New York to focus on writing.
Is that the norm in the video game industry? I feel like many HLPers who have worked for a video game company only works on a single project and then moves on.

The video game industry is notorious for ****ty working conditions, a fact Battuta bore out when he resigned.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Resigned and then said, "Never get a job in the games industry."

Not the most ambiguous cause-and-effect relationship I've ever seen, to say the least.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Oh wow. I believe you, but is there a source or is this IRC?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Oh wow. I believe you, but is there a source or is this IRC?
We met in person a couple weeks ago.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Luis Dias

He really got a hard time there it seems. Dayum.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Last I saw of Battuta, he had been banned for a month by his own request as stated on the voice acting death march thread. I thought that this was to do with doing the voice acting for the WiH director's cut. But now I'm guessing that it was because of that job at Bungie. Is he going to be returning here?

I know it would be a bit cheeky to ask, but is there any movement on the Blue Planet development process, as I haven't seen any updates in a while.
I do not feel... I think!

Offline FIZ

I got the Hard Light rifle.  Gehuhuhuhuh gaw.

That thing was named well before Battuta was hired, though.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline -Sara-

It's another reason to freelance in the videogame industry. People are quickly impressed by the number of titles you've succesfully worked on, NOT the amount of time you have worked on a single title. Do a job, quit and demand you get recommended for a good job done. Then repeat.

I've had some semi hands-on experience in the past half year now. You work for the people above you, who work for people above them, leaving no room to put much of yourself into your work. You get the design or idea they want and any suggetion to improve it with your creativity is cut short with your boss not knowing if his boss's boss would approve, ending up with being told "no!" in advance.

The VG industry is like prostitution: working for yourself can be rewarding, while long term contracts wear you out. To stick with the metaphore VG companies are like seedy brothels and it's hard to get out once you start to believe it's the only way to work. Battuta did right.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:45:02 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.