Author Topic: HiRes Demo  (Read 17273 times)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Talon version is available now:  http://scoobydoo.freespacemods.net/HiRes/Demo-Talon-08-29-14.rar

There will probably be newer versions available at some latter date if needed

Link doesn't seem to work :/
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Talon version is available now:  http://scoobydoo.freespacemods.net/HiRes/Demo-Talon-08-29-14.rar

There will probably be newer versions available at some latter date if needed

Link doesn't seem to work :/

Fixed... just drop the "0" off of "08"
http://scoobydoo.freespacemods.net/HiRes/Demo-Talon-8-29-14.rar
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Danke schön :)
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

My old thunderbolt was completely useless... way too low detail to recover. I was building a model from the concept shot of what the Thud and just renamed it to the thunderbolt.

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Wow.  :jaw: Doesn't really look much like the old 'bolt, but that doesn't matter. :) This is great.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Oh gosh, that this is gorgeous.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

lod 0 = 96,000
LOD 1 = Probably under 24,000

Also Dragon, this was what I was using:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Remember about some detailboxing or something like this. I'm not sure if FSO engine is able to run with dozens of fighters each one with almost 100k polys and multiple textures, no matter how good looking they are :P.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Remember about some detailboxing or something like this. I'm not sure if FSO engine is able to run with dozens of fighters each one with almost 100k polys and multiple textures, no matter how good looking they are :P.

Does detailboxing even worth it on fighters, due to their small size?  Also is it possible to "disable" subsystems, not disabled but temporarily removed from the game?  Removing landing wheels when they're retracted would definitely remove about 12K polys from the game.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
It is a hack, but a separate model that doesn't have them could be used, and then 1 second before the animation is triggered, the model could be switched in fred.  So switch models, trigger animation.  or for take off, trigger animation, switch models once the gear is up.  Like I said, it's a hack.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Don't bother, such hacks will introduce more problems than they solve. Just give it a small LOD distance for LOD1, and make that LOD more akin to other fighters. That would ensure that the extra detail only appear when you can see them.

Don't bother, such hacks will introduce more problems than they solve. Just give it a small LOD distance for LOD1, and make that LOD more akin to other fighters. That would ensure that the extra detail only appear when you can see them.

Yup that's what I'm basically doing, or at least I think I'm doing.  All that excess detail gets deleted at lod 1.

Still needs a little touching up...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I will make a cool bomber from this one day. Outstanding job :yes:

This looks great. It feels like it could fit into the timeframe of "Arena" and "Collateral Damage". :)
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Thunderbolt's wings have been changed.

Also I've been playing around with the textures some more...
Now with a lot less scripting involved and more done with just bevelling and glow layer profiles.  Changes I make to one can easily be applied to others, without having to rerun the entire script. 

The base metal has more of a metal shine, plus is a lot more detailed (thanks due to using a very very large repeatable pattern brush (4000*4000)) and better contrast.

The panel rivets are much smaller and more repeated.  It's easier to apply them and now they're no longer the size of a hand.

Only big thing it really needs now is baked ambient occlusion.

I liked previous Thunderbolt's wings much more. They were far more unique then the blocky ones.